Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-29-2016, 12:17 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

We got TSA Pre-Check in 2014 and most times, it takes less than 2 minutes to get through security. Our longest line time was about 15 minutes, but that was when the regular lines looked to be 45-60+ minutes long. When we renew, we might get Global Entry, but it would require that we travel to a hub city to do so.

In our experience, they are more courteous and try to move the line along quickly. Most delays are caused by people who received a free pre-check and don't know what to do. For instance, I carry just my wallet and phone in my pockets and wear running shoes. They go immediately into my backpack while waiting in the line past the ID check. I see people all the time, emptying their pockets at the x-ray machine (even though they're being told to empty pocket in line), and then removing their shoes at the metal detector. These delays take maybe 1-2 minutes, so most others don't get upset by them.

Oh, and don't forget to add your KTN to your airline profiles and call/update online for any ticketed travel.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2016, 04:48 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

We've been designated TSA pre-check our last three flights for some unknown reason, even though we're not officially enrolled. Can't figure out why so much good fortune unless, possibly, because we've had so many passport re-entries into the USA this year due to a large volume of international travel they figure they have more than enough info about us?

Or maybe just a teaser to get us hooked going forward?
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:59 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The big deal for us with TSA pre-check lines is: don't have to take computers out - we often have two. Not having to take watches and belts off. Not having to take shoes off is a biggie too. Leaving quart bag of liquids in hand luggage. It's just so much less disruptive.

It's also the less invasive scanner if anyone cares about that.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:30 AM   #44
Administrator

Funny, we've not benefitted from the less invasive scanner and had to use the "puff" one.

One additional benefit for us. Returning from a trip to Germany this past summer, the backup at US Customs was immense. After getting the luggage there were only two lines, each easily had >100 people already waiting. I figured it would be at least another hour, but looked around and saw a sign over in one corner that said TSA. We walked over and, true enough, it was a Customs exit for TSA holders. The agent didn't even check,just asked and let us through.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:43 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DH and I enrolled in TSAPre this autumn, after a trip to Chicago where we were randomly (?) assigned Pre for free on both ends of the trip. The lines were shorter, and the convenience of remaining dressed was worth it for me.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:57 AM   #46

The last few trips we made, the regular line had to go through the body scanner while in the pre-check line we only had to use the metal detector. Nice advantage there, as audreyh1 mentioned.

Also, the last time we came home through JFK we breezed through as usual by using the Global Entry kiosk instead of the long, long line for regular customs. Then when we picked up our bags we were waiting on a big security screening queue and a man in an ordinary business suit with a little security badge clipped to his pocket came up and asked if anyone was pre-check.

We said yes, along with just a few others, and he asked to see it on our boarding passes. Then he directed us to an unmarked door and gave us verbal instructions "through there, turn right, down the hall, make the first right, up a long escalator, then left at the top" that got us to our connecting fight probably half an hour before everyone else in that queue.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:25 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

We found it helpful because my wife had a knee replacement and it reduced standing time. However, not all airlines (British Airways) are enrolled so you still have to go through the regular lines even if you have PreCheck.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:27 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Never enrolled or paid for it but in 2014 did 3 round trips across the pond and to Africa; ever since then it's been precheck boarding passes. Still have to empty pockets most places, just unload everything into backpack as approach. I see precheck as a nicety but not sure I'd pay for it. My xanax regimen for long flights starts before security so I just sorta roll with it.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:00 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I initially had PreCheck due to my elite status with Delta. In 3 years I only didn't get it twice. Then, when they discontinued the complimentary PreCheck for elites, I missed it on 4 of my next 6 flights so I went ahead and paid the $85. I generally fly between 90 and 110 segments/year and most of those are nonstop, direct flights so it's well worth it to me.
Johanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:43 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I fly very little so wouldn't pay for it. I tend to get it anyway on the few flights I do take, probably because I don't fit any terrorist profiles and traveled a lot on business and for pleasure for many years. Typically I fly Business Class on long hauls, which also has a short TSA line with mostly experienced flyers in it.

From what I've read, the freebie status was started because there weren't enough people who paid for Pre-Check to justify the separate lines. I have to admit I was one of the newbies who padded up shoeless and with my Freedom Baggie and computer out for inspection the first time, but I caught on fast.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:49 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I fly very little so wouldn't pay for it. I tend to get it anyway on the few flights I do take, probably because I don't fit any terrorist profiles and traveled a lot on business and for pleasure for many years. Typically I fly Business Class on long hauls, which also has a short TSA line with mostly experienced flyers in it.

From what I've read, the freebie status was started because there weren't enough people who paid for Pre-Check to justify the separate lines. I have to admit I was one of the newbies who padded up shoeless and with my Freedom Baggie and computer out for inspection the first time, but I caught on fast.
When I first got PreCheck, you couldn't even buy into the system. You had to get it through your airlines FF program or through a trusted traveler program. Even then, there were only a couple of FF programs eligible in the beginning. Delta was one and I think AA also. This was expanded after the first year.
Johanson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airport security, domestic flights, flying, tsa pre-check