Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-10-2019, 08:16 AM   #41
Gone but not forgotten

I got mine last year.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2019, 08:34 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
Also understand to travel to Europe next year we will need Visas ?
As far as I can tell, those rules go into effect in 2021. Travel to parts of Europe before 2021 should not be affected.

And starting in 2021, short term stays (up to 90 days) can get a waiver, which requires a little form filling and a few bucks:

https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-requirements/americans

So in reality, for short term visits, there is no visa requirement even after 2021 if you get the waiver described in the above link.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Also be aware that they generally won't accept even an original SS card if it has been laminated.
Did ours today since my license expires next month and when DW renewed last Sept. she didn't have an original marriage license only the marriage certificate from our wedding.

Even thpugh my SS card is laminated they didn't question it or admonish me about it. Overall painless and we were in and out in less than 20 minutes.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:58 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
Also understand to travel to Europe next year we will need Visas ?
No, you will just have to register, just as travelers to the US currently are required to do.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:58 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
Even thpugh my SS card is laminated they didn't question it or admonish me about it. Overall painless and we were in and out in less than 20 minutes.
It may depend on your state DMV, or even your local office and/or the clerk/supervisor who helps you. You may not even need an SS card itself.

When I was renewing a Texas DL a couple years back, I didn't realize they needed to see my SS card *again* for a renewal. I was going to have to go home, 25 miles each way, to get it but they decided to take my CDIB card (certificate of degree of Indian blood) since it had my SSN on it and was a federally recognized tribe. So apparently there is, at least in practice, some leeway.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:01 AM   #46
gone traveling

I have never used a driver's license for a travel ID.
I was a military brat and then 30+ years active duty Navy so I always used either a passport , or a form of military ID. Now I use my retired military ID or if on official travel my GS CaC. My retired ID has same DoD number as my CaC so either is good for my TSA pre check.
aboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:02 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
It may depend on your state DMV, or even your local office and/or the clerk/supervisor who helps you. You may not even need an SS card itself.

When I was renewing a Texas DL a couple years back, I didn't realize they needed to see my SS card *again* for a renewal. I was going to have to go home, 25 miles each way, to get it but they decided to take my CDIB card (certificate of degree of Indian blood) since it had my SSN on it and was a federally recognized tribe. So apparently there is, at least in practice, some leeway.
In Texas, for some reason, they are required to verify your SS number each time you renew or change your DL in person. So I’m sure your CDIB card served that purpose. They probably would also have accepted the old Medicare card.

Gosh, even a paystub will be accepted:
Quote:
Examples of documents to verify your SSN include:
 Social Security Card
 W-2
 SSA-1099 Form
 A non-SSA-1099 form, or
 Paystub with the applicant’s name and SSN on it.
If you are unable to provide one of the above documents, the following can be accepted:
Military identification (active, reserve, and dependent status)
Certificate of release or Discharge of Active Duty (DD-214)
Certified college/university transcript designating number as SSN
Documents such as health insurance cards, Veteran's Administration cards, and pilot's licenses with identifiable SSN may be accepted
Old 04-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Why is a 'real id' license being implemented? What is the difference between it and the 'old' license besides the gold star? Why is it more 'secure'? Is there an RFID chip inside the license? Are they sending our photographs (I assume all states have a photo on the license) to a central database to be stored for 'facial recognition'. ? I don't get it. Or is it just to make us all prove who we really are with all these documents? You could still create a fake driver license anyway, with gold star and all, lol.
In IL , they were giving out licensees for cash bribes, after some big accidents that was stopped, but they have no idea which ones are illegal or not.

IL also gives out driver's licenses to undocumented individuals, and these look a lot like a regular license, except for some wording on it.

Maybe the gold star is to make a uniform quick way to visually see 'real id' licenses from others ?
Old 04-10-2019, 09:54 AM   #49

I wonder how they're going to find enough people for federal jury duty after 2020. Nobody is required to get a REAL ID, but jurors (and witnesses, defendants, etc) will need one to enter a federal courthouse. That could create some interesting situations and cases about whether a jury pool that consists only of people who can afford to pay extra for these IDs is representative enough.

My DL expires in January 2020, and our state has until October 2020 before we need to be compliant, so I'll probably go ahead and get one. Fortunately both my passport and social security card are in my married name, and our DMV will accept printouts of utility bills and bank statements to prove residency, so it won't be too hard to collect the needed docs.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Not easy for a woman if you have changed your name a few times due to marriage. I went down with the divorce paperwork and all they wanted were all the marriage licenses.
I have heard this process is challenging and you have to have to documents for each name change. I have had 2 changes over the years, so I will use my passport until I need to renew my license.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:12 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
About a week or 2 ago, Illinois finally announced they are now offering the compliant license. You can update you license or wait for renewal.
Thanks.... !

Of course there is no talk of people being able to exchange their new license for one that works for airplanes.

Thankfully our great Politician Jessy White says IL residents are still ALLOWED to use their passport to fly (It's not under his control, it's Federal)
Old 04-10-2019, 10:35 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
I went through TSA Pre-check a few days ago and the agent said he was looking for the star. He said he had not yet seen a single Driver's License with it?

Guess I'll use my passport for domestic.

My bet is that full implementation will be delayed - typical for a big government bureaucracy.
Georgia has had this for at least a few years. If this TSA agent has "never seen" one, he either doesn't work very much or hasn't really been looking.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:19 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Not yet, PA is slow walking the approved licenses. Though I did get an email from DMV that all my papers are in order. When they start issuing new licenses I won't have to bring proofs.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:30 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Also be aware that they generally won't accept even an original SS card if it has been laminated.
Yep, forgot about that caveat.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:31 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Georgia has had this for at least a few years. If this TSA agent has "never seen" one, he either doesn't work very much or hasn't really been looking.
Well, this was Pre-check at IAD, which is almost as big as ATL (not counting all the ATL connections that don't go through security), so even if he is new he sees on the order of 1000 IDs per day.

I'm guessing they were recently directed to start looking for them and he was trying to figure it out.

Maryland, for example, issues 10-year driver's licenses so it will take a long time to convert to Real ID. So for casual travelers this transition will go on for a long time.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:08 PM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've known for a few years that my state was not compliant and we have until 2020 to obtain a Real ID. I ordered official copies of my birth certificate but was having difficulty coming up the documents that have my "identification number" as I don't have a passport and long ago lost my SS card. So I planned to get a new SS card but have been procrastinating as I actually like my picture on my current driver's license. Well my state has relaxed the requirements and now allows use of W2 forms or pay stubs - I could swear that those were not allowed a couple of years ago. So I now have no excuse.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:18 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I finally got all the documents but haven’t gotten the license yet. I will use my passport in the meanwhile.
we have passports but at renewal we also opted for passport cards. other than international air travel...something we haven't done and don't expect to do...they're the same as a PP but easier to carry. we'll likely get the silly Real ID but we're in no hurry.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:28 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I've known for a few years that my state was not compliant and we have until 2020 to obtain a Real ID. I ordered official copies of my birth certificate but was having difficulty coming up the documents that have my "identification number" as I don't have a passport and long ago lost my SS card. So I planned to get a new SS card but have been procrastinating as I actually like my picture on my current driver's license. Well my state has relaxed the requirements and now allows use of W2 forms or pay stubs - I could swear that those were not allowed a couple of years ago. So I now have no excuse.
My ladyfriend, who flies often, was wondering what she should do because her regular DL doesn't expire until way after October 2020, when you are supposed to have a RealID to fly. Can she use her current New York DL after 10/2020 or should she get a new DL before then even it it doesn't expire for several years afterward?
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:31 AM   #59

She can get a new RealID type license whenever they become available. Just the same as if she lost her current license and had to replace it. She'll just have to pay the replacement fee.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:15 AM   #60

My current, un-REAL license doesn't expire until 2023, so I might wait until then to get a REAL ID license rather than pay an additional fee. I have both a passport and a Federal employee ID, the latter of which I've used for ID at TSA screenings and they have never questioned it.

By the way, there was a lot of discussion of the need for an original SS card...I was just reviewing which documents I'd need, and my state's information said that I could use an original Social Security card, a W-2 form, or an SSA-1099 (the last two must show your full legal name and entire SSN). But maybe that's just our state.