Is your drivers License Compliant TSA

Most states that don't provide a TSA compliant one have been publicizing this in local markets, so residents from those areas can be aware to get a "real ID".

Either a compliant-DL or real ID is needed after Oct1, 2020.

This DHS map is a quick way to know if you need to think about it or not (and no paywall):

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id

MO just started offering compliant licenses last month. Since my license does not expire for 4 more years, and they charge you to get a compliant one outside the renewal cycle, (since it is technically not required to drive), I'll wait. A passport is sufficient to fly.

Edit to add: Upon further review, it looks like they are waiving the normal replacement license fee, so there is just a nominal charge of +/-$5. So I might go ahead and get it in the next few months.

Last edited:
Got mine last year.

DW and I got our “Star licenses” last summer even though we could have waited until Oct 2020. It was a PITA to get all the required docs, but we heard it would make it easier going through airports.

I finally got all the documents but haven’t gotten the license yet. I will use my passport in the meanwhile.

They are broadcasting on Houston News be aware of this . , Just a heads up . I never knew this. .

Got my AZ license upgraded last month, cost was $25 which is the typical license renewal cost, new 5 year expiration date.

The docs are easy.

Identity- Passport, birth cert
Residency - utility bills, bank statements, credit card bills
Social Security - card, benefits, statements

Make an appointment, bring the paper and let it rock!

Not easy for a woman if you have changed your name a few times due to marriage. I went down with the divorce paperwork and all they wanted were all the marriage licenses.

The docs are easy.

Make an appointment, bring the paper and let it rock!

Not on SS yet, haven't seen my SS card in 30 years, so no SS statements, unless they will count a printed copy of my SS statement from the SSA website. Does any one know if this is acceptable?

Item #2 was a pain for the college students in our family (and their friends). They don't pay utility bills; they didn't have credit cards. And the paper bank statement had to be less than 60 days old. Now the website sys that college documents like transcripts are allowed; seems as if that wasn't an option a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
Passport card also works as a Real ID. We go to the Caribbean regularly so I got one with my last passport renewal.

Not on SS yet, haven't seen my SS card in 30 years, so no SS statements, unless they will count a printed copy of my SS statement from the SSA website. Does any one know if this is acceptable?

This may be state specific. DH got his real ID earlier this year and our state insisted on the original SS card, no copies.

One can request a replacement SS card from the SSA. Just go to your online account. It should show up somewhere on that. You might have to drill down a few pages. I haven't checked personally.

I went through TSA Pre-check a few days ago and the agent said he was looking for the star. He said he had not yet seen a single Driver's License with it?

Guess I'll use my passport for domestic.

My bet is that full implementation will be delayed - typical for a big government bureaucracy.

I got lucky. My license was up for renewal and the real ID became available with a couple weeks to spare. I didn’t take a utility bill but had the postcard that they had sent me. Should be here next week.

Yes, in fact, I have an 'enhanced" license that in addition to serving as an ID for domtic air travel also allows me to enter the US by land or sea from Canada, Mexico and some Carribean countries and vice versa. I frequently go to Canada golfing and use it instead of a passport.

Something I never knew about if your drivers license does not have the gold star in the upper right hand corner you will not be compliant to travel in 2020 ( not vetted by the TSA ) . Seems this has been in process for a few years . Passport still works .

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/national/real-ids/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.2f31de7fa9de

DH’s license has that gold star and mine is up for renewal this year.

Then again I have my Global Entry Photo ID.

Oh yeh, I do have a passport card.

Last edited:
And all this time I thought that gold star on my license meant I was special :)

The docs are easy.

Not for everyone. We're in month 7 of getting a RealID for my 89 year old DM. Out of state corrected birth certificate, marriage license, changes of address etc. Maybe next week. We're up against the clock since we've been told not to let her out of state drivers license expire or there's whole additional process to maneuver. :cool:

Last edited:
This may be state specific. DH got his real ID earlier this year and our state insisted on the original SS card, no copies.

Also be aware that they generally won't accept even an original SS card if it has been laminated.

Back
Top Bottom