Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-11-2020, 05:50 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We are about 90 minutes away, but don't really have too much interest in going there on a regular basis.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2020, 08:08 AM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

My niece really enjoyed Disneyland in California. I personally liked Universal Studios better. I know kids who go there multiple times in a year and happily at that (father gets passes). I find it fascinating that kids enjoy these parks even when they are older!
zwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:24 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoheadden View Post
I was tempted to put this in the After Fire Thread because I am interested to see if anyone used the proximity to Walt Disney World as a criteria for moving to FL. If so, how did it work out? Are you going as often as you thought ? Did the lure of all things Disney where off ? Did you get a job as a Cast Member ?
We are big fans of “The World” and know there are lots of things to do there besides rides.

This ended up in the Travel Information thread because If there are any Disney fans here, there is a wealth of information and topics that can be shared.
Yes, we bought a townhome behind Disney We were premium passholders, so we came and went whenever. We were five minutes from The Contemporary Resort and the Grand Floridian, so often we would pop over for a drink, desert, or lunch.

We went to the Food and Wine Festival often for Eat to the Beat shows. Same with Flower and Garden. We loved to park at Boardwalk, walk in to the back of Epcot. Disney Springs is also fun to just walk around. The premium pass offers great discounts, including free golf at Oak Trails and large discounts at the other golf courses. Sometimes we would just pop over to the Magic Kingdom for a Mickey bar and a walk down Main Street. We liked to go to Jelly Rolls on occasion at the Boardwalk.

We had a “Tables of Wonderland” pass, which pays for itself if you eat and drink a lot at Disney.

We never did the castmember, but considered it. MIL and FIL did for 15 years and they enjoyed it.

We sold after 4 years, mainly because we wanted to live near the water. But still have fond memories. Look at Windermere, which is where we lived. Since it’s on the backside, you don’t deal with the traffic issues.
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:37 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoheadden View Post
I was tempted to put this in the After Fire Thread because I am interested to see if anyone used the proximity to Walt Disney World as a criteria for moving to FL. If so, how did it work out? Are you going as often as you thought ? Did the lure of all things Disney where off ? Did you get a job as a Cast Member ?

We are big fans of “The World” and know there are lots of things to do there besides rides.

This ended up in the Travel Information thread because If there are any Disney fans here, there is a wealth of information and topics that can be shared.

I have always loved Disney, but after having gone 12-15 times and now that my kids are adults I figured I might be done with Disney. I’m not a kid anymore.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:06 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We went almost yearly when DS was in high school (band and orchestra trips). I only really liked Epcot. But we would always spend 1-2 days in Universal which we loved. I’d like to go back to Universal on the off season.

For years we had season passes to Hersheypark. It was nice to go in the evening during the week. Lines were short. DS and Hersheypark ganged up on me and taught me not to fear rollercoasters but to enjoy the rush.

Hersheypark is a theme park in a sense. The theme is chocolate.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:24 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

We went once in early 80's when my daughter was small. She was entranced so much that when her daughter was born she bought into the vacation club. They/she is also in several Disney groups,and thru those she was able to "buyout" at least 3 other weeks from other "owners". They go a lot and we went 2 years ago with them. It was a good vacation in the since that our 6 yr. old DGD would let us know which rides were going to be scary or GREAT! LOL but as far as ever living there or buying into that timeshare stuff it doesn't appeal to us.
Venturer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:47 AM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am considering moving to the Orlando area when I retire in a few years. Part of this is Disney, as I've been there dozens of times over the last several decades. However, this is not my only reason why this is one of my top choices. The other items I find attractive about this possibility are:

Florida is retiree friendly. No state income tax, obviously.

It has a major international airport - MCO. This means the travel to international and domestic destinations would be significantly cheaper than prices from my current location. They are also serviced by Southwest - my city is not.

Kennedy Space Center is close by. As somewhat of a geek I would enjoy seeing rocket launches. I've tried several times during our vacations but it never worked out.

I'm a Southern boy. The heat there is no worse that what I already experience. Orlando is actually better - because it is between two coasts there are almost always a breeze.

Lots of condos or other age friendly dwellings. I'm in good physical shape now but I fully expect that I hit the 70's and 80's I'll likely have mobility issues, and even if I don't it's still best to allow for the possibility. I don't want or need a lawn to take care of, and my desire for lots of space has pretty much left the building with Elvis.
ScottS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:08 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
I am considering moving to the Orlando area when I retire in a few years. Part of this is Disney, as I've been there dozens of times over the last several decades. However, this is not my only reason why this is one of my top choices. The other items I find attractive about this possibility are:

Florida is retiree friendly. No state income tax, obviously.

It has a major international airport - MCO. This means the travel to international and domestic destinations would be significantly cheaper than prices from my current location. They are also serviced by Southwest - my city is not.

Kennedy Space Center is close by. As somewhat of a geek I would enjoy seeing rocket launches. I've tried several times during our vacations but it never worked out.

I'm a Southern boy. The heat there is no worse that what I already experience. Orlando is actually better - because it is between two coasts there are almost always a breeze.

Lots of condos or other age friendly dwellings. I'm in good physical shape now but I fully expect that I hit the 70's and 80's I'll likely have mobility issues, and even if I don't it's still best to allow for the possibility. I don't want or need a lawn to take care of, and my desire for lots of space has pretty much left the building with Elvis.
Sounds like a condo in Orlando might be a terrific choice for you! I'll give the standard advice to rent for a few months before buying a home there, just in case it isn't as appealing to you when a resident, as it was when you were a tourist.

I like hot regions too, and have always thought Florida is a very attractive state for retirement, but Frank does not agree so I will stay here with him. I have never been to Disney World and have no desire to go there, because to me (for some reason) it seems like a kiddy place that would bore me.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:27 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My FIL was in the hotel business. In 1992 he brought us all to FL for a family vacation. He knew folks connected with WDW and got us all one day passes, good at ONE of the parks. We chose Epcot and had a really nice time. We saw a lot, the lines weren't too bad and the kids (5 and 8) didn't really fall apart until the end of a very long day.

We chose Epcot because it sounded the most interesting. Our 8 year old was really into science and technology and the 5 year old just enjoyed the spectacle. It wasn't until they were adults that we told them we could have gone to Magic Kingdom!

We had a good time, did a lot for only having one day but never felt the pull to go back. My sister's in-laws lived in Orlando and would get passes and they would go every year and loved it.

We did get to see a space shuttle launch! We were staying in Ft. Pierce and drove up the coast to Cocoa Beach to watch. Very impressive and it took a few seconds for the sound to reach us. Our 8 year old was already a space geek so this was BIG for him!
Old 08-04-2020, 11:18 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This mouse was later - the 60's.
/https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/william-english-dies-age-91/

Tags
disney, florida, relocation