Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Italy - comfortable smaller cities to relax in
Old 06-20-2021, 07:44 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Italy - comfortable smaller cities to relax in

We are planning a trip to Sicily next year. We will be taking a tour that promises plenty of interesting experiences and exposure to Sicily. We also plan to end up in Rome where we will meet up with Italian friends before returning home. In between we would like to take about three days for a more relaxing time between the activities of a Sicily tour and the hectic energy of Rome. Sorrento is one city that comes to mind, but we are not tied to it for any particular reason other than we can get to Rome in relatively easily (Sorrento - Naples - Rome)

If anybody can suggest other cities similar to Sorrento I would appreciate that very much.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2021, 09:11 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Sorrento is a very nice town to visit, and is conveniently on the way between Sicily and Rome for your itinerary.

I always wanted to visit Sorrento, and did it in our first ever trip to Italy many years ago. And all that, because I heard of this place through this song I knew about since childhood.

PS. Sorrento is indeed not a large city like Rome or Naples, but is a popular destination. It's one of the favorite places for the Brits.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:42 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

We really enjoyed Rappolo
conversationalphrase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:10 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

we went on a trip about 6 years ago, without any real plans (just a rental car) to, in the following order (flew into Rome and out of Milan):
Orvieto (hour north of rome)
Volterra (walled town on the west coast)
Assisi (east, a bit out of the way, but worth it)
Varenna (on one of the lakes north of Milan)

All great stops - each offered something different.

On another trip probably 15 yrs ago, we went to mosaic school for a week in Ravenna on the east coast), with a short stop in Verona (which we love and returned to visit again on another trip), then flew back out of Venice.
bobbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:34 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Depending on when you go, quiet may not be achieved in touristy areas. Assisi is lovely, as is Siena, but they can be crowded. I like Orvieto, Positano, Parma, Palestrina.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 05:19 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Centona - flew into Rome explored for couple days then drove to centona. did a hilltop town we’d set out for each day. Wonderful!!! Then couple years ago flew to Genova stayed couple days then train to Cinque Terre stayed in manarola in the pink house on right side of pics you see hanging off side of hill. Explored the five towns, wonderful!!!
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 05:27 AM   #7
Administrator

Sorrento is a good choice. You can fly to Naples from Sicily and take the train or a ferry to Sorrento. While you are there, you should take a day to drive the Amalfi coast and see Amalfi, Positano and Ravello. Even better if you hire a driver so that you can spend your time looking at the beautiful scenery instead of sweating the many switchback curves. You can also take a short and easy train ride from Sorrento to Ercolano, home of Herculaneum, which is tremendously interesting (better than Pompeii in my opinion). And, of course, the island of Capri is not to be missed. I could spend three days just there. There is a convenient ferry from Sorrento to Capri.

An alternative would be the hill towns of Umbria, which are also beautiful and less hectic. Each of them can be seen easily in a day, so you can go to more than one if you like or you could spend three days in one and go at a more relaxed pace. We've been to Perugia, Gubbio, Narni, Orvieto and Assisi, and loved them all. We actually stayed at an agriturismo in the countryside looking out over Lake Trasimeno and drove to a different town every day. Flew in and out of Rome's Fiumicino airport and rented the car at the airport.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:37 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Florence is my favorite city in the world. Not exactly small, but very walkable and beautiful.
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:04 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

We stayed in Sorrento and Positano on our Rick Steves Southern Italy tour. I concur with Gumby's advice. Still hope to get to Herculaneum.

Don't miss a trip to Ravello. I'm weird in that I don't enjoy water views all that much but there is something special about Ravello. The vibe, the setting, the peace and quiet around the villas ... I don't know exactly. But I told my DH if we were to renew our vows, Ravello is where I would want to do it.

Orvieto is also worth considering.

Sicily in 2022 for me and DH too.
gattara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:44 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I would second Orvieto or perhaps another bill town if you are driving. Siena is beautiful.

We have been to Sorrento several times. The setting is nice but it is very busy. Too many tour groups,etc.

Not certain if you are going to Naples. You might consider hopping on the ferry and spending some quiet time on the islands…..Procida or Ishia. Very different.

Enjoy Sicily. It was one of our favourite places. We spent several weeks touring about, including the Aeolean islands.

While in Sicily we picked up a last minute cruise from Rome to Barcelona. We thought we might do the train to Rome. We found that taking a LC carrier flight from Palermo to Rome was much less expensive than rail and less time consuming. We flew into Sicily (Catania) from Malta.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:24 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Good suggestions so far. I have been to Sorrento at least 10 years ago. I remember liking it, but I don't remember much else other than I was sorry to leave. I figure if we have three full days there, at least one day we can take a boat to an island, or Naples. the other two days, will be do whatever we decide at whatever pace we decide. I don't mind tourist crowds as long as they are not too big. After all, I'm a sojourner traveler tourist also.

More suggestions are still welcome. I've got nearly a year to decide.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:30 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

From Sorrento, we made a day trip to the Amalfi coast, and also a day trip to the island of Capri. I would not mind spending a couple of days on Capri.

The other places that people suggested like the hill towns of Tuscany are very fine places, but not as accessible with trains and on the way from Sicily to Rome as Sorrento is.

All of these places, I would not mind going back for another visit. So many places, so little time.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-21-2021, 10:36 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of Capri, I knew of this place through a song in my teenage years, long before I had a chance to visit.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:20 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

delete
Old 06-21-2021, 11:24 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Forgot to mention that IF you plan on renting a car you might consider staying in an agritourism (sp).

We have done this a number of times. One outside Orvieto and other just outside Siena.

We stayed in Cinque Terre for a few days years ago. It was wonderful. My understanding it that it has since become a tourist zoo.

The bottom line is that there are endless possibilities. It may be dependent on whether you plan to rent a car or use rail .

With the exception of Sicily train routes (they often run late in our experience), Italian mainland rail is excellent, reliable, and inexpensive depending on the type of train you select)
Old 06-21-2021, 11:37 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Sorrento is a good choice. You can fly to Naples from Sicily and take the train or a ferry to Sorrento. While you are there, you should take a day to drive the Amalfi coast and see Amalfi, Positano and Ravello. Even better if you hire a driver so that you can spend your time looking at the beautiful scenery instead of sweating the many switchback curves. You can also take a short and easy train ride from Sorrento to Ercolano, home of Herculaneum, which is tremendously interesting (better than Pompeii in my opinion). And, of course, the island of Capri is not to be missed. I could spend three days just there. There is a convenient ferry from Sorrento to Capri.

An alternative would be the hill towns of Umbria, which are also beautiful and less hectic. Each of them can be seen easily in a day, so you can go to more than one if you like or you could spend three days in one and go at a more relaxed pace. We've been to Perugia, Gubbio, Narni, Orvieto and Assisi, and loved them all. We actually stayed at an agriturismo in the countryside looking out over Lake Trasimeno and drove to a different town every day. Flew in and out of Rome's Fiumicino airport and rented the car at the airport.
I would say Amalfi Coast towns are nicer. It is a long bus ride from Sorrento to the Amalfi Coast.

But AC is hectic to get too. You could take the train from Naples to Salerno and then either a bus on the winding coastal road or take a ferry, which is worth the higher price.

OTOH, Sorrento is more convenient if you want to visit Pompeii or Herculaneum.

Or even day trip to Capri.

You can't go wrong with most of the suggested towns, though Tuscany and Umbria would be harder to reach from Sicily.

But if the OP is flying from Sicily to Naples, might as well fly to Florence, Pisa. Not sure which airports are in Umbria.

Naples and Florence and Orvieto all have good train links to Rome.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:34 PM   #17

We liked Amalfi Coast, Positano stood out as a nice place although we stayed in Minori and liked it too. It was much smaller than Positano and closer to Salerno for the bus ride. We didn't really know what to expect visiting, but were glad we did. March was a very slow time and it was very relaxing without the crowds.

We didn't go there, but Umbria has always interested us. We saw a movie that I always remembered the scenes more than the story...
My House in Umbria
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0323332/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (69.7 KB, 29 views)
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 05:41 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
With the exception of Sicily train routes (they often run late in our experience), Italian mainland rail is excellent, reliable, and inexpensive depending on the type of train you select)
I think everything is relative, and there are exceptions. When I lived in Switzerland and took the train to Milan for work you could always count on the Italian portion of the journey being somewhat late. And once, on the way to the Cinque Terre, a 3 hour journey turned into an 11 hour and ended with us being let out in the middle of nowhere because it was midnight and the shift was over. This is, of course, was a major exception. Especially in comparison to the clockwork precision of the Swiss trains.

I'm pleasantly surprised everyone else liked Orvieto as well. We toured Umbria and southern Tuscany and quite enjoyed it. Stayed in an Agriturismo outside of Montepulciano, a great town, and a very relaxing time. Great wine destination as well, with the Brunellos in this region.

Sorrento can be a bit busy and not as nice as the traditional towns on the Amalfi. It makes a great base, however, to reach Pompei and Capri. You could easily spend more than a week in the entire region. Capri can be very busy in the summer.

Another thing you could do is extend your stay in Sicily. You can stay in a town like Trapani or Erice and take the ferry to stay in the Egadi Islands (Favignana is the largest).
oiseux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:57 PM   #19

I'm assuming you want to avoid the massive crowds that you would find on the Amalfi cost (which is really nice). On the Adriatic coast, Ancona or Riccione are nice small towns. In the Tuscany region Sienna is a good option. On the Mediterranean side, Cinque Terre (can get crowded), Viareggio, Livorno, or La Spezia. But by far the most drop dead gorgeous place in Italy is Stresa and the Borromean Islands (45 minutes north of Milan 20 minutes south of Switzerland from the Simplon Pass. We have driven down to Stresa from Switzerland many times to get away from my wife's family.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:50 PM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
.... But by far the most drop dead gorgeous place in Italy is Stresa and the Borromean Islands ...
It is indeed a beautiful place; we stayed on the Isola dei Pescatori and loved it. I would also suggest Orta San Julio on Lago d'Orta and Bellagio on Lago di Como, which are similarly beautiful. But I suspect Chuckanut does not want to go that far North.

Tags
sorrento and alternatives