Join Early Retirement Today

Jet Blue is set to announce Trans-Atlantic flights
Old 04-10-2019, 11:54 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Jet Blue is set to announce Trans-Atlantic flights

Per the article below, this will add some needed competition to business class fares for trans-Atlantic journeys.

“When we think about trans-Atlantic, we do think we can disrupt largely around a Mint-like product because we’ve been so successful on flying to the West Coast with Mint,” Joanna Geraghty, JetBlue’s president and COO said last September.

The trans-Atlantic market, “especially in the premium category, suffers from the same lack of competition and high fares that [transcontinental] routes in the U.S. saw before JetBlue introduced Mint,” JetBlue’s statement said Tuesday."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/09/jetb...-atlantic.html

We have flown JetBlue mint several times from LAX to FLL and the service is fabulous and by far one of the best domestic business class services today. Since the introduction of the Mint service from coast to coast, first/business class fares from other airlines have dropped in response. Hopefully they will disrupt the international travel market.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #2

Ok so I'm going the other way. I loathe Jetblue with the heat of 10 suns. We've only flown them from philly to Orlando and no way in hell could you get me to spend 9 hours on one of their flights.

now I don't know about their "mint" service, I'll have to look it up. but on our short 90 minute flights, cabin crew was at best disinterested and worst snarky . At Philly check in and boarding reminds me of those pictures you see of Latin American train passengers where everyone is fighting to get on and they never seem to have direct flights.

The hounds of hell would have to be at my heels for me to go Jetblue again. I will literally take greyhound bus before jetblue

lastly like with many "discounted" airlines by the time I finish with baggage fees it's not a discount and no I am not going to Europe with one bag.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
The hounds of hell would have to be at my heels for me to go Jetblue again. I will literally take greyhound bus before jetblue.
Wow. I feel that way about a couple of their US competitors. I'll go out of my way to fly JetBlue; literally pick a different airport if necessary.

Quote:
lastly like with many "discounted" airlines by the time I finish with baggage fees it's not a discount and no I am not going to Europe with one bag.
Which airline doesn't do that nowadays? I think JetBlue was among the last to implement many of these add-on fees, and is still cheaper and less restrictive than some.

None of which is to say they're great. I just find them the least awful of the bunch.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:29 PM   #4
gone traveling

Flying sucks.

Flying jetBlue sucks less than almost all the others.

We've never used Mint, although we've used "Even more room" seats a few times.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Ok so I'm going the other way. I loathe Jetblue with the heat of 10 suns. We've only flown them from philly to Orlando and no way in hell could you get me to spend 9 hours on one of their flights.

Try the JetBlue's Mint Suite (we have 4 times so far) and that will address all your concerns. We are willing to pay $1200 for a return ticket to the east coast for this service. No other domestic airlines gives you a suite with a door that shuts for privacy. Very few offer a lie flat seat that converts to a bed. The food and wine is great also. High speed internet and satellite TV is free. You can check in two large suitcases each. Plus they give you freshly baked cookies to take with you after you land.

Do you really think Southwest, Delta, American, or United can compete with this service?
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:27 PM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
We are willing to pay $1200 for a return ticket to the east coast for this service.

Plus they give you freshly baked cookies to take with you after you land.
For $1200, they had better be really good cookies, and there had better be a lot.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Flying sucks.

We've never used Mint, although we've used "Even more room" seats a few times.
+1

I would go out off my way to use JetBlue, but do not need to since I live near their Long Beach, CA hub.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Wow. I feel that way about a couple of their US competitors. I'll go out of my way to fly JetBlue; literally pick a different airport if necessary.

Which airline doesn't do that nowadays? I think JetBlue was among the last to implement many of these add-on fees, and is still cheaper and less restrictive than some.

None of which is to say they're great. I just find them the least awful of the bunch.
southwest still gives me two free bags on each flight and I don't have to pay to pick a seat and I have an American Airline visa that allows me to have one check bag for each ticket I purchase.
Southwest also allows me to make changes free.

I do agree that flying is not a pleasant experience
Old 04-10-2019, 07:14 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Flying sucks.

Perhaps a First Class seat (or Mint) might dissuade you of that impression (not that I'm offering [emoji23] ).

Flying coach might suck. IMO, flying First doesn't .
Old 04-10-2019, 07:29 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
southwest still gives me two free bags on each flight and I don't have to pay to pick a seat and I have an American Airline visa that allows me to have one check bag for each ticket I purchase.
Southwest also allows me to make changes free.

I do agree that flying is not a pleasant experience
?? You don’t have to pay to pick a seat because you don’t get to pick a seat in advance.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:40 PM   #11

I flew on one of those "no assigned seating" airlines... once.

I was travelling (for work) to central Florida. I was among the first few people to arrive at the gate. Got a very low number, so I'd be among the first to board.

It all went well until they announced that first they were going to board "anyone travelling with small children."

I was among the last to board. EVERYone was travelling with small children... to Disney.

Lesson learned.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote