Kauai

ItsAllGood

Recycles dryer sheets
Ahhh Kauai tonight. Feels great to be back. Safe and secure travel with Alaska Air and neg Covid-19 test requirements. Very impressed IMG_0438.jpeg

Kauai is so beautiful, it's almost unbelievable. There is not a lot to do other than viewing the beauty - especially in the age of Covid. But those who love Kauai are probably the most passionate in their choice of Island - and I understand. YMMV

Enjoy your stay and be sure to give us a trip report!:flowers:

WE have been there a number of times and loved it. There is lots to do there if the venues are open:
Island tour in a Waco biplane
Tubing down the irrigation ditches
Kayaking up to Secret Falls
Boat ride to Fern Grotto
Catamaran sail to Na Pali coast
Bike ride down from Waiamea summit
Train Ride at Kilohana Plantation
Spouting Horn on South Coast
Botanical Gardens on South Coast

It's expensive but the helicopter ride that takes you over the mountains and coast line is a highlight of the trip. I even got to see billionaires enclave, most notably Mark Zukerburgs home.

Beautiful picture! I’ve been to Kauai once and loved it.
Truly magical. Hope to go back one day.

For your enjoyment, I have attached 3 trip stories about Kauai so you can get an idea of what you can do there.

Attachments

• KAUAI 2011.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • KAUAI 2012.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • KAUAI 2013.pdf
    664.7 KB · Views: 9
Lucky You! Kauai is our favorite Hawaiian island, but we haven't been back since 2008. We renewed our wedding vows on Ke'e beach on Nov 1st, 2000. Wow, almost 20 years ago now. Time flies.

We made a few different trips to Kauai, Maui, and the Big Island then figured there were other places in the world we would like to see. So we haven't made any plans to return. Someday maybe...

I think Kauai is my favorite island, although the Big Island is a very close second.
When it's time for us to travel again, that is where we will be headed towards.
Hoping to make it there in 2022.
Last trip was 2018 to Oahu.
Actually, any of the islands are beautiful and so peaceful.

We love Kauai! One of the few perks of business travel was getting enough points for a couple of nights at the Grand Hyatt, plus adding two free nights from a credit card signup bonus. Tubing the ditch was a lot of fun, as was the Waimea Canyon. Could go on and on.

CaliforniaBlues we used Carbon Health. The test cost $135. They are partners with Alaska Air, but you can do the test there no matter who you fly. Easy upload to the Safe Travels Hawaii web-site.

SousChef, we've enjoyed everything on your list except the biplane ride - never did that. We love Kauai so much. We come 2x per year (at least 40 trips so far). Pretty much seen it all and done everything. The one thing we do every trip is a boat ride up the Napali Coast. Lots of different tours & boat types. We've never had a bad time, no matter what the weather is like. Occasionally we add another island as a side trip. Also fun, but different. Aloha

SousChef, we've enjoyed everything on your list except the biplane ride - never did that. We love Kauai so much. We come 2x per year (at least 40 trips so far). Pretty much seen it all and done everything. The one thing we do every trip is a boat ride up the Napali Coast. Lots of different tours & boat types. We've never had a bad time, no matter what the weather is like. Occasionally we add another island as a side trip. Also fun, but different. Aloha

Ever done the hike and overnight stay out to the Na Pali coast? I forget where it starts (some small village on that side of the island), but ends at a basically private beach on the coast. Looks amazing. If I ever return to Kauai, that’s tops on my list. Maybe a little exposed in a couple areas from what I’ve read. But absolutely great experience I’m sure.
Would love to hear from someone who has done it.

ETA: I think it’s called the Kalalau Trail.

For your enjoyment, I have attached 3 trip stories about Kauai so you can get an idea of what you can do there.

I really enjoyed your trip reports and photos. Even though we live on Oahu, we've actually only been to Kauai once! We always say, well, there are microcosms of every Island right here on Oahu. We don't need to spend the time, money and effort to go to the other islands. YET, every time we do travel to other islands (been to Big Island several times to see son, DIL and new grand baby) we enjoy the experience. SO, maybe when Covid breaks, we'll find our way back. One bucket list item is to visit Molokai - especially the old Kalaupapa colony. YMMV

Went to Kauai on my honeymoon. The island was exquisite.

I've never been anywhere in the world with a higher vertical elevation change than Kauai. The place is incredibly beautiful.

We once chartered an airplane and went all the way from the Big Island all the way to Kauai.

I've never been anywhere in the world with a higher vertical elevation change than Kauai. The place is incredibly beautiful.

We once chartered an airplane and went all the way from the Big Island all the way to Kauai.

I've often thought of doing the same thing. How did you find a company willing to taylor such a trip? Most "tour" companies advertise in the "Beach Presses" you find in Waikiki. They have one-size-fits-all tours. Back when I was learning to fly, I knew "guys" who would take you just about any place you wanted to go for the cost of the time. I've often thought about finding a FBO (maybe at Dillingham) and just asking around. Did you find an advert or just find a charter company in a phone book? Thanks.

I've often thought of doing the same thing. How did you find a company willing to taylor such a trip? Most "tour" companies advertise in the "Beach Presses" you find in Waikiki. They have one-size-fits-all tours. Back when I was learning to fly, I knew "guys" who would take you just about any place you wanted to go for the cost of the time. I've often thought about finding a FBO (maybe at Dillingham) and just asking around. Did you find an advert or just find a charter company in a phone book? Thanks.
Years ago, I actually rented a plane at Honolulu airport and flew to Maui. I recently found an FBO on Maui and had us flown to Hana, instead of taking the road. I sat in back taking photos while DW was copilot. We flew with this FBO previously on a 3 island tour of Molokai, Lanai, and Maui.

I was a Mission Scanner for CAP and sat in the rear of the plane so I could look out of both sides.
The best way to find one is to Google.

Years ago, I actually rented a plane at Honolulu airport and flew to Maui. I recently found an FBO on Maui and had us flown to Hana, instead of taking the road. I sat in back taking photos while DW was copilot. We flew with this FBO previously on a 3 island tour of Molokai, Lanai, and Maui.

I was a Mission Scanner for CAP and sat in the rear of the plane so I could look out of both sides.
The best way to find one is to Google.

I haven't been Pilot In Command for over 50 years, so renting for myself is out - not that I would feel competent with ALL the rule changes of late.

A good friend of mine moved to the Islands in the early '70s. He often rented a plane and flew friends to other Islands (for his cost.) He had lots of stories. Flying home from Maui once, he lost a mag (which shouldn't be a big deal) but losing a couple of hundred RPM over the channel is good way to test your sphincter. His passengers had no clue. He calmly called into HON and asked for a straight in approach with no emergency declaration.

I'll go the Google route, but probably will put the whole thing on hold until Covid is more or less in the rear view mirror. Unfortunately, it looks like Dillingham will close soon. I think the powers that be have finally found enough excuses to do away with it. YMMV

I’ve never been there, but it’s very special to me. Because of Kauai I have a grandson!

My son has friends who used to have a vacation house in Princeville, Kauai. In Jan, 2016 he visited them there for 2 weeks. A few months earlier they had been to Beijing, China and they enjoyed their tour guide so much that they invited her to visit them when they were in Kauai.

Two young people meeting in paradise, they married in Beijing in 2017, grandson born (here in USA) in 2018. And we are so lucky that they bought a house a mile from us.

Last edited:
I’ve never been there, but it’s very special to me. Because of Kauai I have a grandson!

My son has friends who used to have a vacation house in Princeville, Kauai. In Jan, 2016 he visited them there for 2 weeks. A few months earlier they had been to Beijing, China and they enjoyed their tour guide so much that they invited her to visit them when they were in Kauai.

Two young people meeting in paradise, they married in Beijing in 2017, grandson born (here in USA) in 2018. And we are so lucky that they bought a house a mile from us.

Ah, yes. There are thousands of stories like this. The sea breezes, the fragrant air, the laid back culture, the beautiful mountains, the shining sea, the palm trees rustling. It's as romantic a place as you will find anyplace (my opinion, so YMMV.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom