Kauai Hi

Something a bit subtle about the islands is the apparent time period you will find when you arrive. Each island has the feel of a different decade of time. If as most retires you have bit of age on you, you will appreciate this subtlety. As you would guess, Oahu feels very modern (no more than 10 years behind, say, LA). Maui (at least last time I was there) was reminiscent of the 1980's. Before Hurricane Iniki, I would have said Kauai might have represented the 1970's. Since being rebuilt, I'm guessing it is more modern. The Big Island struck me as life in the 1950's - especially in the town of Hilo. I would guess that Molokai would be the 1940's feel (though I have been neither to the island nor to the decade.)

Interesting observation, Koolau. I've been to Maui and Oahu and I definitely got an 80s vibe in Maui, beginning with Kahului airport. There are many 80s hotels there. Not that there was anything wrong with the 80s! Or Maui!

The Hana end of Maui is pretty cool, imo.

Agree. Hana takes you back even further than the 80s IMO. If anyone takes the road to Hana, allow enough time to take a few "side trips" down toward the coast. There are some very cool vantage points and villages that are not readily apparent from the road - the CD will tell you about some of them. Allow LOTS of time to "do" the Hana road. Do NOT be in a hurry, but let folks around you every chance you get. Some folks actually live in Hana and have to drive the road to get to/from "town" to buy stuff or (heaven forbid) w*rk.

... Allow LOTS of time to "do" the Hana road. Do NOT be in a hurry, but let folks around you every chance you get. Some folks actually live in Hana and have to drive the road to get to/from "town" to buy stuff or (heaven forbid) w*rk.

It's been 30 years since we went to Maui. And we ran out of time the day we drove to Hana, and had to turn back. It's time we go back and spend more time.

I've been to Kauai only once though I live on Oahu....Ya'll come! As always, YMMV.

Ya'll? Eh, you da true haole, braddah.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom