Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-04-2018, 07:04 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Forgot about kayaking. Go to the northern side of the island, near the bridge to the next key. go across the bridge, and rent on that key. You can kayak down through the mangroves.

There is also a place near there that serves great hogfish
We went kayaking on Stock Island right by Hogfish Bar and Grill. Amazing kayaking. We did a guided tour--without it we probably would have gotten lost. I highly recommend it.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2018, 08:05 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Have a w*k trip in Boca Chica in November. Any tips (where to fly into, where to stay, how to get there)? May take some leave and take the DW.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:50 AM   #23

If you'll be at Boca Chica, and work is paying for the tix, I'd fly into Key West. Miami or FLL would be too far of a drive, plus you would need to rent a car. Key West is more expensive for airfare for the spouse though. There are plenty of things to do there for a few days while on leave. If you're military, you can stay at one of the Navy Gateway Inns for clean and inexpensive lodging.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:29 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Do you have an airport code for key west? I am retired military so navy accommodations are possible. Thanks in advance.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:16 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
With 2 20 year old girls we probably won't go there LOL! Planning on going in January so I hope it's still warm enough for swimming.
Ha, 20 yr old boys aren't much safer in Key West...
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:45 PM   #26

EYW = Key West Int'l

If you get accomodations from the Navy, then DO NOT stay at Boca Chica when the spouse is there. That's at NAS K.W., which is a 10-15 minute drive. Not much there except the Air Base. The "Fly Navy" at Trumbo Point is essentially a hotel, and is walkable to Duval Street and some other points of interest. Truman Annex has mil lodging as well, which is good, but not quite as nice. It has a beach on-site and is even closer to Duval Street.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:54 AM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Ha, 20 yr old boys aren't much safer in Key West...
I get what you are insinuating. however, I go down there every year and have not witnessed that type stuff In at least 20 years.
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:00 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

Went to KW last year. If you live in or are close to Virginia there is the Amtrak Auto Train that leaves daily from Lorton VA and goes all night, non stop, to Sanford FL (near Orlando). They serve dinner on the train and you can get a sleeper car or just sleep in the wide seats if you're more adventurous. We took our little two seat sports car on the train and they unloaded us around 8 am next day in Sanford FL. Then we took a leisurely drive to KW (8 hours but we did over 2 days). Stayed at Trumbo Point at Navy Gateway Inns and Suites in a nice 2 bedroom condo vacation rental on base (DoD employed). I had no idea the Auto train existed and it was a wonderful trip especially since we avoided the traffic and pain of being stuffed into our little car all those trip hours. You can check Amtrak dot com for auto train info. I thought the price was reasonable for the car hauling, dinner and the overnight stay on the train. We walked in KW most of the time and drove to explore the other keys and enjoyed a good bit of Florida. We plan to do it again soon.
charais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:41 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by charais View Post
Went to KW last year. If you live in or are close to Virginia there is the Amtrak Auto Train that leaves daily from Lorton VA and goes all night, non stop, to Sanford FL (near Orlando).

You can check Amtrak dot com for auto train info. I thought the price was reasonable for the car hauling, dinner and the overnight stay on the train. We walked in KW most of the time and drove to explore the other keys and enjoyed a good bit of Florida. We plan to do it again soon.
Good info, thanx.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:53 PM   #30
Confused about dryer sheets

Want to make the trip from Central FL to KW in early November with the wife. Any hotel suggestions within walking distance to Duval.
Thanks for your help
frb47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:08 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frb47 View Post
Want to make the trip from Central FL to KW in early November with the wife. Any hotel suggestions within walking distance to Duval.
Thanks for your help
I have stayed at Courtney’s Place several times. Not fancy but nice and about two blocks from Duval. They have one and two bedroom units with kitchenettes.
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:27 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frb47 View Post
Thanks for your help
We stay at the Curry Mansion...Just off Duval. Moderate price, decent place.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:58 AM   #33

If you are going to Key West , there is only one person to contact . her name is Susie Rodman and she helps so much . Call Susie , tell her what you are looking to pay and she will get you booked . She also has information on scuba diving , excursions . She charges you nothing for her services . But she knows every piece of property in KW

FRB47 , you have a private message !
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote