Key West Florida

dtbach

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Plan to fly into Key West for a 5 day vacation. Is it necessary to get a rental car in Key West? Or can you get around to all the places via walking and/or hop on/hop off trolley?

Visited once for several days - drove down from Miami. Didn't touch the car. Walked everywhere. Not that big. Airport is on outskirts so need a way to get to where you're staying, & back. You may want to drive up to some of the other keys though for a change of pace - even slower.

Been there a few times. Cars are like clothes, optional.

You can rent moped-style scooters and/or small NEV’s (Neighborhood Electric Vehicles) if you get tired of walking. But, as others have said, you really can walk everywhere you will want to go.

We had a car when we drove down to Key West a few years ago. We did not move the car once we got there. Key West is very walkable and parking places are at a premium.

We had a car when we drove down to Key West a few years ago. We did not move the car once we got there. Key West is very walkable and parking places are at a premium.
Same for us.

If you are flying directly into Key West you will not need a car . We suggest you use Uber it is amazing in Key West .Duvall street is the main drag and lots of bars and museums . A few art galleries . I don't know if you have made your hotel yet but there is a lady that pretty much handles all of the inexpensive nice , close in hotels . If you want her name PM me . There is a tourist trolly , we never found it useful . Walk or rent a bicycle . Go to Captain Tony's and tell them you are a member of the Krazy Krewe , that is our sponsor bar. Five days in KW without a festival will be very slow and relaxing . If you like music every bar will have entertainment Sloppy Joes has some adult comedian/ musicians a lot of times . If you remember the Hurricane last year , there was a guy on CNN who rode out the Hurricane at the airport . That is Q Mitch a really strange but funny guy . He does a comedy show at the 801 Club. The 801 is a really dodgy bar / safe but too strange to talk about on here . As someone said earlier take one of the clothing optional night cruises . For daytime fun fishing and Scuba ! Of course Hemmingway house , the Busch mansions .
DW and I have a group of friends that go to KW end of October. That is the time to go . Go to the old Cuban street side restaurant , has a laundromat built onto it . I can't remember the name but the best Cuban Sandwich in Fla. If you want to visit the other Keys they do run a cheap shuttle bus .
Be careful of the chickens in the street …..Have fun !!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
As others have said, no need for a car. We usually rent bikes. Check with where you are staying. Some of the B&B's have bikes for rent to guests, and we have found they are some times cheaper. No need for a fancy bike with gears, you can't change elevation by more than 10' across the island. So, most of the bikes are beach cruisers. Make sure you have lights, if going out at night.

There is also a bus system we used when we visited friends on another Key. I forget the details, but it was pretty reasonable.

Have fun!

As others have said, no need for a car. We usually rent bikes. Check with where you are staying. Some of the B&B's have bikes for rent to guests, and we have found they are some times cheaper. No need for a fancy bike with gears, you can't change elevation by more than 10' across the island. So, most of the bikes are beach cruisers. Make sure you have lights, if going out at night.

There is also a bus system we used when we visited friends on another Key. I forget the details, but it was pretty reasonable.

Have fun!
I think there is also the "Conch Train" that will take you around.. I went kayaking there and enjoyed it.

If you want to get an all over tan in downtown Key West go to the Bull and Whistle and go to the top floor . Warning you will have to shed your clothes , This bar is called The Garden Of Eden . Tourists get body painted here .

I think there is also the "Conch Train" that will take you around.. I went kayaking there and enjoyed it.

Forgot about kayaking. Go to the northern side of the island, near the bridge to the next key. go across the bridge, and rent on that key. You can kayak down through the mangroves.

There is also a place near there that serves great hogfish

I go to Key West annually for the Offshore Boat Races..... No need to get a rental car, hard to find parking space..... I Uber the entire week..... $8 to 10$ anywhere I want to go ........

We have been there twice for that. Absolutely awesome:dance:.

That would be the Hogfish Bar & Grill. Awesome Place, IMO

6810 Front St, Stock Island, FL 33040

That's the place!

If you want some great cuban food, try El Siboney. Off the beaten track, but worth it. And the Green Parrot for eclectic music.

Duval is fun to walk down and get a drink, but too touristy for us.

Other places to visit:

Truman Little White house
Mel Fisher museum
Salute on the Beach
The butterfly Conservatory
Fort Zachary Taylor (a decent beach, for Key West)
Smather's Beach (better sand, but the sea weed can come in and cover things)
And the BEST bar for Music, right on the water, (IMHO) Schooner Wharf)

OK, now DW and I need to talk about another visit, it's been a few years.

If you want to get an all over tan in downtown Key West go to the Bull and Whistle and go to the top floor . Warning you will have to shed your clothes , This bar is called The Garden Of Eden . Tourists get body painted here .
y
you won't need to strip. we have ventured up more than a few times. n o issues. to OP, rent a bike. also, don't go until it cools off a little, this time of year KW is unbearably hot.

Attachments

• P2250137.jpg
    P2250137.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 48
Rent bikes with locks. There are inexpensive beach cruisers readily available and they give you lots of mobility. Bikes are all over the place so drivers are cautious.

We visit keys every January when it is cold up north, in Virginia. We fly into Miami and get a car and then drive to different spots in the keys. We are retired military, and on KW they have a guest house where you can stay for more reasonable rates. Evenings we leave the car on base and walk to Mallory Place (I think that is correct name) and the tourist places. Then we have the car secure and ready for us to go north in mornings for sightseeing and beaches or whatever. So to answer OP, car if you want to travel to other keys, if only KW then no car IMHO

y
you won't need to strip. we have ventured up more than a few times. n o issues. to OP, rent a bike. also, don't go until it cools off a little, this time of year KW is unbearably hot.

With 2 20 year old girls we probably won't go there LOL! Planning on going in January so I hope it's still warm enough for swimming.

With 2 20 year old girls we probably won't go there LOL! Planning on going in January so I hope it's still warm enough for swimming.

Yes, swimmable in January. :)

I second the comment about Fort Zachary Beach. Love the pine trees there.

I still reminisce about my vacations to KW. Lovely destination. (I wonder how KW is doing post-hurricane.)

Have fun!

Forgot about kayaking. Go to the northern side of the island, near the bridge to the next key. go across the bridge, and rent on that key. You can kayak down through the mangroves.

There is also a place near there that serves great hogfish

We went kayaking on Stock Island right by Hogfish Bar and Grill. Amazing kayaking. We did a guided tour--without it we probably would have gotten lost. I highly recommend it.

Have a w*k trip in Boca Chica in November. Any tips (where to fly into, where to stay, how to get there)? May take some leave and take the DW.

If you'll be at Boca Chica, and work is paying for the tix, I'd fly into Key West. Miami or FLL would be too far of a drive, plus you would need to rent a car. Key West is more expensive for airfare for the spouse though. There are plenty of things to do there for a few days while on leave. If you're military, you can stay at one of the Navy Gateway Inns for clean and inexpensive lodging.

Last edited:
Do you have an airport code for key west? I am retired military so navy accommodations are possible. Thanks in advance.

Ha, 20 yr old boys aren't much safer in Key West...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom