Lake of the Ozarks or Branson Area

JDARNELL

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am planning a 4-5 day trip there the end of May or first of June 09 with my two young sons (8&10). CINC house has already bowed out so looks like we will try and do some fishing and just be boys for a week. I have requested some information from the local chamber of Commerce on places to stay but does anyone have any recommendations? Small family places are welcome.

Tomcat98

If it were me, I would look at vrbo.com or cyber rentals and try to find a place for rent in the target area.

I use to stay at Lily's Landing. They have a variety of rentals and are on the water. They also rent boats. This is near Branson. I use to go there trout fishing. I always went durring the winter which is the off season for Branson. If I was just wanting to go fishing I would go to the Lake of the Ozarks.

Branson is a C&W 3-ring circus. If you want quiet quality time fishing with the boys, I would suggest Lake of the Ozarks, away from the dam and Sunrise Beach. Many private resorts down there where you could rent a cabin and/or a boat for a few days. Table Rock lake is colder, deeper and used to be less crowded, until Branson exploded. Truman Lake is the quietest of the bunch, but not much infrastructure around.
Enjoy whatever you choose!

It is an ideal place for a family-type trip, judging from my one visit to that area years ago. As a person on a business trip, I held it against Branson that there was no place to get a beer. As a father, you may appreciate the fact that there won't be rowdy revelers at the next table! It is beautiful part of the country, that is for sure.

Branson is a C&W 3-ring circus. If you want quiet quality time fishing with the boys, I would suggest Lake of the Ozarks, away from the dam and Sunrise Beach. Many private resorts down there where you could rent a cabin and/or a boat for a few days. Table Rock lake is colder, deeper and used to be less crowded, until Branson exploded. Truman Lake is the quietest of the bunch, but not much infrastructure around.
Enjoy whatever you choose!

That is kind of what I am looking for. A quiet place where we can catch fish, maybe a play ground or a place where we can play catch, a small bait shop, ride our bikes, set outside on a covered proch is it rains, cook-out and just have some boys time. Jury is still out if I want to rent a boat or not. I checked MWR at Ft Leonard and its only $150 for a week. I might be able to find a place who rents them as part of a package staying there.

I think the boys would enjoy catching brim and crappie and doing some night catfishing.

Tomcat98

Tomcat,

Fort Leonard Wood has a recreation area on the Lake of the Ozarks with cabins and mobile homes available for rent. You may want to give them a call - 573-346-5640

I haven't stayed at this campground but have stayed at military rec areas in Florida and Texas. We found them to be clean and a little spartan but perfectly suitable.

2soon2tell

I was in both areas this summer during our trip to Missouri. Have to say we enjoyed them both but probably Branson a bit more. We went out on Table Rock lake and it was not near as crowded as Lake of the Ozarks. Lake Taneycomo is supposed to be one of the best trout fishing areas in the US. I had no problem getting a beer in Branson :)

Both areas have tons of places for family things to do. You wont go wrong with either area.

That is kind of what I am looking for. A quiet place where we can catch fish, maybe a play ground or a place where we can play catch, a small bait shop, ride our bikes, set outside on a covered proch is it rains, cook-out and just have some boys time. Jury is still out if I want to rent a boat or not. I checked MWR at Ft Leonard and its only $150 for a week. I might be able to find a place who rents them as part of a package staying there.

I think the boys would enjoy catching brim and crappie and doing some night catfishing.

Tomcat98

For the activities you mention, I'd head farther down the White River and into northern Arkansas. The Mountain Home area features lots of nice family resorts on either Bull Shoals Lake or Lake Norfork. Or, if you're into trout fishing (doesn't have to be fly fishing) stay at places on the White River below the Bull Shoals Dam or the North Fork River below the Lake Norfork damn. Just Google the Mountain Home chamber of commerce.

If you want to treat the boys to a thrill, a day out with a guide fishing for Stripers on either lake can be very exciting. DW and I have caught some BIG fish there! It works out well since if Striper fishing happens to be slow that day, the guides also know just where to head to insure the boys will catch a bucket of panfish.

Or take a guide for a day of trout fishing on the White River. We ALWAYS catch our limit, the scenery is fantastic, the guides are generally good with kids and the boys will get a kick out of shore lunch prepared by the guide.

Have a geat time! I've never regretted a penny spent taking my son (now 34!) fishing, hunting, camping, etc.

Haven't seen it posted here yet but a fun place to take the kids is just north of Branson to Ozark, MO to Lambert's Cafe (right off the highway). Prepare to eat well and catch some "throwed rolls".

Lake of Ozarks

I live about 75 miles from the l of o. Never have been to the flw reserve, but can tell you, the l of o is a huge lake.
Each arm of the lake is larger than most lakes. The Fort Leonard Wood area is back up in what is called the "state park" arm, and as such is not developed.
There are plenty of amenties of all kinds along Hwy 54, which runs right thru the lake. Either hwy 54 or business 54, which crosses the dam and is called the "strip". tons of kids stuff.
Branson is the country/western show capitol of the us, and as such is tour buses and traffic.
Either will do what you want, just different flavors.
Try the Missouri tourism website.

Lake of Ozarks

I realize this might not be exactly what you are looking for in this vacation; I would still recommend taking a look if you are around this part of the region: Missouri Wineries | Lake of the Ozarks Winery | Casa De Loco Winery This place sits on top of a bluff overlooking one of the rivers that flows into the lake. They have a few rooms to rent. The place might be a bit too crowded for your taste during the day, especially on the weekends; but, in the evening, it is completely deserted. The fishing at the bottom of the bluff is good; and, assuming no floods this spring, there are wide gravel bars along the river. I can try to find some pictures if you are interested.

You might want to take a look at Lake of the Ozarks State Park and/or Ha Ha Tonka State Park for hiking and fishing as well.

I would not suggesting being on that lake in anything smaller than a medium sized yacht during the weekend, especially holiday weekends. You should be okay during the week though.

Back
Top Bottom