Join Early Retirement Today

London for a student?
Old 01-16-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

London for a student?

Our DD leaves tomorrow for 1 week with friends in Germany and then back to London for the semester. Does anyone have any input on the following:

aa) 3 most important "must see and do" things during her semester in London?

bb) 3 things to be most aware of to be safe?

cc) 3 things to avoid during the semester in London?

I've been all over the globe but my sense of what a student should or should not do in London is many years out of date. Thanks for any ideas and comments. I'm sure it will be a wonderful experience for her.
MovingtotheCove is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2010, 12:46 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OK, she will be there for awhile.... so that is good... because one of my 3 is MUSEUMS...

But they have a lot of them... and all are free now!!!

#2 is London Eye... It is a very good touristy thing to do... I have done it twice and would do it again...

#3... OK... hard to think of what I liked the most... so I will fudge here and say... weekend day trips.. Bath, Cambridge... heck, can't think of the other place I went... one was to a castle just south of London, one was to the city on the coast also south (not Dover, but there were white cliffs)...

And if you have the money... and the time... a weekend trip to Paris!
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:40 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I was also going to say the British Musuem, Bath and Cambridge. However there is tons to see.

Oh, and get a copy of the CAMRA Real Ale Guide for London - invaluable.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:23 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Madame Toussands, of course. Nothing like seeing a wax figure of the Albert Einstein and others.
London has some famous flea markets that are open on Sundays. Much fun, many interesting characters there. And free, of course.
Since she's a young lady, she has to see Harrod's at the very least.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtotheCove View Post
bb) 3 things to be most aware of to be safe?
Same as any major city.

Crime stats for London

Metropolitan Police Service - Crime Figures

Some tips for staying safe in a city (note that carrying pepper spray is illegal in England so instead of step 3, I would carry a very loud personal alarm that you can activate quickly)

How to Stay Safe in the City | eHow.com

Step 1
Learn some basic self-defense techniques. You can either use a book, dvd or attend a class. Practice your defense moves regularly.

Step 2
Always be aware of your surroundings and the people you are near. If a situation seems suspicious or odd, avoid it. If you are ever attacked or feel threatened, scream as loud as you can and run. Continue screaming while you are running.

Step 4
When going out, make sure you have a friend to keep an eye out. Even if you don't stay together the whole night, always know where each other are.

Step 5
If drinking, never let your drink out of your sight. Do not except drinks from someone you don't know.

Step 6
Carry city maps with you. Knowing where you're going can keep you out of dark alleys and dangerous street corners. If you get lost, immediately get to a well-lit area and consult your map.

Step 7
Always keep your cell phone handy. If you ever feel vulnerable or threatened, do not hesitate to pretend you are on the phone. This can deter potential attackers. If you feel a situation is becoming dangerous, call the police immediately.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I did not take a look at the stats on crime in London... but when I was there... I did not feel unsafe at any time....

There are places you should avoid... but those are pretty much known quickly... but even when I walked a few that we 'bad', I did not feel unsafe.. just looked around a bit more than usual...

When I was there, most of the crime was pickpockets or stealing cell phones... yes, there was a murder or two... but compare that to 100s in an American city...

The drinking age is 18, so if she is going out to drink she should be with a group of people so all can watch over each other.... that is where you can get into trouble...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote