Long distance driving holiday

On our last night in Denali State Park we were fortunate to see Mt McKinley in all its glory and became members of the 30% club which is how often it can be seen in its entirety.

We are now in Anchorage for a few days.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 25
We are now back in Vancouver after our Alaska trip. The last 4 nights in Alaska we spent in Anchorage and were very impressed. A very pedestrian friendly city with many miles of great bike and hike trails. The day we rented bikes we decided to cycle 10 miles along the coastal trail and at 9.9 miles found a male moose grazing on the side of the trail. We decided not to ride past, took a few photos and headed back.

We also hiked to the top of Flat Top mountain and on the last day we just watched the anglers fishing in Ship Creek which runs through the center of the city. We saw 4 King Salmon being caught and landed.

We just finished our first day in a lovely apartment very close to Coal Harbour and Stanley Park. We are going to be here 3 weeks. The weather today is fantastic and forecast to continue like this for next few days.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 25
I also like this point....

Keep your clothes with you — you never know when you may need them (like… after the ride)

Brave souls they are.....looks painful to me. :p

Love the photos...y'all sure know how to beat the TX heat! :)

If you get out near UBC, the Anthropology museum is wonderful. Dramatic artifacts and art inside a beautiful building.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions folks, and the health warning.

Last year after our Alaskan cruise, we spent a couple of days in Vancouver. We took the bus from our hotel and walked across Stanley Park to the beach. It was stunning. The park, the beach, the city. I also like the Capilano suspension bridge. Enjoy your time in Vancouver. I hope you can get to Victoria and Buchart Gardens. So much to see in that corner of Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

If you get out near UBC, the Anthropology museum is wonderful. Dramatic artifacts and art inside a beautiful building.

Eating breakfast on the balcony we were looking through the brochures we had picked and have one on this so it will definitely be a place we'll visit.

+1 the anthro museum is a great place to visit. I'd classify it as a must see if your there more than a couple days.

+1 the anthro museum is a great place to visit. I'd classify it as a must see if your there more than a couple days.

We are here for 3 weeks so will definitely go there

If you enjoy Indian food (or even if you don't), eat at Vij's (more expensive) or it's cheaper sister eatery next door, Rangoli's (they sell prepared meals to take home). Within walking distance.

Vijs Rangoli - Market

http://www.vijs.ca

Last edited:
If you enjoy Indian food (or even if you don't), eat at Vij's (more expensive) or it's cheaper sister eatery next door, Rangoli's (they sell prepared meals to take home). Within walking distance.

Vijs Rangoli - Market

VIJ'S

Thanks, we'll bear that in mind, looks like a 50 minute walk. We were out walking for over 4 hours today. This is a lovely city.

Alan - I love Vancouver. I did a lot of weekends and day trips in Vancouver when I lived just across the border in Bellingham. Beautiful place!!!

Alan - I love Vancouver. I did a lot of weekends and day trips in Vancouver when I lived just across the border in Bellingham. Beautiful place!!!
It certainly is!

Alan, nice to see you are in my neck of the woods. The weather has been amazing, hasn't it? :)

Fantastic weather, we can hardly believe our luck.

Wreck Beach is a nice place to visit, down below UBC. But you'll need a LOT of sunscreen.

I've driven up from the Seattle area to Vancouver for a Ramen fix at Kintaro

Thanks for the tip. We ate there today and it was excellent. So many different places to eat but we will be going back to Kintaro's again before we leave.

... and you get to visit with folks around the table while enjoying, glad it worked for you. A bowl of ramen during the winter in Aomori might be recalled more fondly, Vancouver sure is closer.

Last edited:
Our 3 weeks in Vancouver are almost up. Last full day tomorrow then we move onto Vancouver Island for 2 weeks, staying in Sidney.

Yesterday was Canada Day so we joined the throngs on the seawall at Stanley Park to watch the fireworks display last night. Beautiful evening, full moon and great atmosphere. The temperatures have been in the 70's and low 80's all 3 weeks, but what we have also enjoyed is the complete lack of mosquitoes, even last night while we were out through dusk and dark. Back in Texas we would often go to the July 4th fireworks display with our son, covered in insect repellant like everyone else as evidenced by the smell of deet all around.

Forecast for Sidney this next week is more of the same weather :)

Even the statues here make us smile.

Back
Top Bottom