Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-26-2022, 06:06 PM   #21

The pet (dog for us) factor is a big issue. That said - my sister is a good dog "aunt" and if *her* travel schedule allows, she moves the dog to her house for longer trips. In return I take care of her aging cat (multiple daily meds) for her trips which are typically 10 days and happen more frequently than ours. We did 9 weeks in Europe the year after we retired, and have done several 3-4 week trips since. We bought and converted the scooby van last year - and we can take the dog with us on camping trips... but my limit for camping in the van is about 10 days. (No bathroom or kitchen - this is truly camping, but with nicer sleeping than in a tent.)

We are actively looking at doing what Alan did - sell the house and move to an apartment - then look for a lock and go condo. But won't do longer than 3-4 weeks at a time till the pooch goes to the great beach walk in the sky.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2022, 12:23 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post
We did 3 weeks in the UK many years back and it did get to us as you described. We are now on the tail end of 19 days away and are missing our home, routine, and most certainly our dogs.
I want to do a month in Australia and New Zealand, but not until the current pets are gone.
This can only work if I have enough willpower to not replace them almost instantly like the last time
Sadly, my last pet died in March of 2021. But his last year was one of concierge service since we were working from home because of covid. This is the first time in my life I have not had pets since the mid 80s. No plans to get additional pets until we get years of travel out of the way!
SecondAttempt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 12:33 AM   #23

Thanks everyone for the replies. It seems like my 3 weeks is not quite a consensus but a common limit. I would certainly try a longer trip, for example the Lincoln Highway trip will likely be a month or so. Maybe my tastes will change in retirement.
Old 08-27-2022, 07:45 AM   #24

The other common thread I saw was that itchiness that we get when we're about a week to three or four days before going home. I'm hoping that is lessened when we retire.
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Long trips?
Old 08-27-2022, 08:40 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Long trips?

No pets for me. I turn off the water, the water heater, empty the fridge, lower the heat and put my two indoor plants out on the deck to be watered by Mother Nature. If they die, they die.

The idea of shortening or avoiding a trip because of an animal is not for me. This, I have no pets. They are a responsibility, and I respect them enough to not own one I can’t care for properly.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 08:52 AM   #26

I agree with the difference between touristy and living travel. We typically do 10-14 days, many times a year and look forward to returning to the dog & DGK's.

We did an 8 month living trip to Mexico and took the dog. Totally different feeling than vacation.

I think DW is going to wait until dog days are gone before doing this again as new pooch is a bit on the large, energetic side. Plus the kiddos, of course.
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 10:18 PM   #27

When we were working, the most we could manage was 2-3 weeks away at a time. Our first major post-ER trip was 3 months in the USVI. We took our dog along and lived like locals. It was wonderful and we could have stayed much longer.

We’ve done other 6-8 week trips since then, leaving our dog with an awesome pet sitter. Our dog had to be euthanized in April due to his congestive heart failure and we agreed not to get another pet anytime soon.

Our own health issues have kept us at home this year, but we are very much looking forward to taking longer trips again. As others have said, the difference is living more like a local, taking plenty of “down time” just relaxing/being vs constantly seeing the sights. We find that we learn a lot more about the place we are visiting that way, and still have plenty of time to see the major tourist attractions as well.

On busier trips where we’ve moved around a lot, we do get burned out after a few weeks. If our activities are too repetitive - what, ANOTHER cathedral/walled city, for example - we get bored too. YMMV
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 12:49 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondAttempt View Post
Sadly, my last pet died in March of 2021. But his last year was one of concierge service since we were working from home because of covid. This is the first time in my life I have not had pets since the mid 80s. No plans to get additional pets until we get years of travel out of the way!
Ours are getting that treatment now too, as DW works from home. The blind trouble dog has really given our roomie hell while we are gone. She used
to love him and get pets and cuddles, but once she lost her sight she is now afraid of him. It breaks his heart. It took a few days but she finally came to sleep in the bed. She still won't tolerate a touch from him.
If he is still around we have the luxury of sharing his lovely dog after ours are gone. I *might* have the willpower to not replace them immediately from a shelter that way
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 03:47 AM   #29

The longest trip I had this year was 5 weeks. I also had a 3 and 2 week trip, the latter I’m wrapping up right now.

A lot of time I’ve been solo and I’ve realized that it’s better to have company. I expect I won’t be taking too many lengthy solo trips
in the future. It’s not the lack of company either, since I was either working and/or visiting with others, but I find that even a week or so without a partner isn’t as fun.

No regrets. Every time I travel I learn something new. I had fun everywhere I visited and now look forward to being home.

But I will add that if I had a travel partner, I suspect I could last a long time away from home.
Old 08-28-2022, 06:37 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

After extensive travel for business in the U.S., there are just a couple of places that are on our To See list. Our vacations are usually spent in Europe--often a mixture of on the ground and on cruise ships. We take no organized tours--which will be saved for when we really get old.

Domestic travel is now so expensive that it's hard to get by on less than $250 a day on the ground--even being frugal. And the price of hotels/motels is up dramatically with inflation.

We try to limit our trips to 2 full weeks and 3 weekends. With two homes and large yards, we just cannot leave for any longer. And that's about the max we can leave a pair of young cats locked up too.

My wife had extensive back surgery 7/12/2022, and she was only home 5 hours until a knee buckled and she broke a leg. She's been in hospitals and rehab facilities but is expected to come home 9/2. We have no idea what our future travel will be. If no long trips are in our future, we've had a great last 52 years of international travel and we've seen almost all we want to see. Our advice is to get it while the gettin's good.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 08:10 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Our first extended trip post retirement was 7 months.

After that we did a few @ 3 months each.

DW prefers two months. I prefer 3 or 4 months. Ten years later our out of country medical/evac is getting expensive. My pension plan provides 60 days out of country for each trip so this is what we now limit ourselves to for the past six years.

Fall trip is usually Sept/Oct to Europe. Winter trip is mid Jan to mid March. Usually one of Thailand/Australia, Mexico, or Central and South America

Now post covid we are getting back to it. All trip are all independent last trips, lots of spontaneous travels. If we see a last minute cruise or resort offer during our travels we take advantage of it. With the exception of an African safari we make all of our own travel arrangements.

We have arranged our life for lock and leave. No pets, not plants, no garden or snow removal to concern ourselves with.

We do shorter 1-2 week trips in between plus AI with daughter and family at Xmas.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 08:53 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
My wife had extensive back surgery 7/12/2022, and she was only home 5 hours until a knee buckled and she broke a leg. She's been in hospitals and rehab facilities but is expected to come home 9/2. We have no idea what our future travel will be. If no long trips are in our future, we've had a great last 52 years of international travel and we've seen almost all we want to see. Our advice is to get it while the gettin's good.
I am so sorry to hear this about your DW. I am sure it is hard on all of you. Praying that she heals quickly.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 10:46 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondAttempt View Post
This is the first time in my life I have not had pets since the mid 80s. No plans to get additional pets until we get years of travel out of the way!
We are down to our last dog since Jan 1985, he turns 17 Thanksgiving day, born here. He half lives next door with my brother anyway, no problems taking off. Most weekend camping trips he goes with us anyway.

We plan out a 3-4 week camping trip each summer and take the Grandson. We do plan to do some serious extensive travels once the DW retires in a few years. Moved to a Toy Hauler to bring the fun stuff with us... Even considering doing some camp hosting to save/make some money.
Old 08-28-2022, 11:08 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Our longest trip has been to snowbird in Florida. We love it, but miss the grandkids. Our longest overseas trip was a two week Baltic cruise with some time in London before and after. Because of health reasons my international travel is done except for cruises leaving from the east coast. I’m encouraging DW to take her two sisters to Ireland soon before she can’t travel. One sister is reluctant to fly over water. We’re working on her. 🥃[emoji485]🥂
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 11:18 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Bamaman so sorry to hear about your DW ongoing health struggles. It's one thing to say goodbye to international travel and another thing to have your everyday life turned completely upside down.

I hope things improve for you and DW as she is able to come home. This level of illness is hard on both of you.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 12:41 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

When we travel for 2-3 months at a time we will typically spend at least 3 nights in one place, more often a week when we are snowbirding. On our 7 month trip we took a condo in Costa Rica for a month. If we get somewhere that we like we tend to stay longer.

Just came back from 5 weeks in Portugal. Had an apartment in Madeira for 6 nights. Did two other stops of four nights each.

Slow travelers.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 12:50 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Watch out for breakfasts that are not a full hot breakfast with several choices. I’ve been fooled a few time when breakfast is a bag of sugary, carby, junk food . Not even a box of milk for the kids or for me to use in my homemade granola.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 09:12 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Since moving to the Islands, we have taken a long trip back to our home area. We are fortunate to have a base once we return. From the base, we can drive anyplace connected by road. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 09:54 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Pre-pandemic I went on a measly 10 day trip and that felt long enough to be eager to go home.
Then I retired this year and this past May I sold my house and am doing 'slow travel' with my cat, staying in hotel apartments for one month in each location. I plan to continue traveling for a year or longer, unless I get tired of it and want to settle back down. I do miss having my own place, but for now I like trying out different towns/cities more than I miss having a settled home.
UpQuark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 11:48 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpQuark View Post
Pre-pandemic I went on a measly 10 day trip and that felt long enough to be eager to go home.
Then I retired this year and this past May I sold my house and am doing 'slow travel' with my cat, staying in hotel apartments for one month in each location. I plan to continue traveling for a year or longer, unless I get tired of it and want to settle back down. I do miss having my own place, but for now I like trying out different towns/cities more than I miss having a settled home.
OP here. One of the reasons I started this thread is because I have been watching some youtubers who do slow travel. They travel year round and stay about 1 month in each destination. This was appealing to me initially but the more I thought about it the more I realized I want a home base.

It's a very personal choice so I am not criticizing you in any way. They have suggested in a few episodes that they may be looking for a good place to settle down at some point. I think I have found that place.

I do suspect I will make somewhat longer trips when I retire and I do like the idea of slow travel.