Long trips?

I agree with the difference between touristy and living travel. We typically do 10-14 days, many times a year and look forward to returning to the dog & DGK's.

We did an 8 month living trip to Mexico and took the dog. Totally different feeling than vacation.

I think DW is going to wait until dog days are gone before doing this again as new pooch is a bit on the large, energetic side. Plus the kiddos, of course.

When we were working, the most we could manage was 2-3 weeks away at a time. Our first major post-ER trip was 3 months in the USVI. We took our dog along and lived like locals. It was wonderful and we could have stayed much longer.

We’ve done other 6-8 week trips since then, leaving our dog with an awesome pet sitter. Our dog had to be euthanized in April due to his congestive heart failure and we agreed not to get another pet anytime soon.

Our own health issues have kept us at home this year, but we are very much looking forward to taking longer trips again. As others have said, the difference is living more like a local, taking plenty of “down time” just relaxing/being vs constantly seeing the sights. We find that we learn a lot more about the place we are visiting that way, and still have plenty of time to see the major tourist attractions as well.

On busier trips where we’ve moved around a lot, we do get burned out after a few weeks. If our activities are too repetitive - what, ANOTHER cathedral/walled city, for example - we get bored too. YMMV

Sadly, my last pet died in March of 2021. But his last year was one of concierge service since we were working from home because of covid. This is the first time in my life I have not had pets since the mid 80s. No plans to get additional pets until we get years of travel out of the way!
Ours are getting that treatment now too, as DW works from home. The blind trouble dog has really given our roomie hell while we are gone. She used
to love him and get pets and cuddles, but once she lost her sight she is now afraid of him. It breaks his heart. It took a few days but she finally came to sleep in the bed. She still won't tolerate a touch from him.
If he is still around we have the luxury of sharing his lovely dog after ours are gone. I *might* have the willpower to not replace them immediately from a shelter that way :)

The longest trip I had this year was 5 weeks. I also had a 3 and 2 week trip, the latter I’m wrapping up right now.

A lot of time I’ve been solo and I’ve realized that it’s better to have company. I expect I won’t be taking too many lengthy solo trips
in the future. It’s not the lack of company either, since I was either working and/or visiting with others, but I find that even a week or so without a partner isn’t as fun.

No regrets. Every time I travel I learn something new. I had fun everywhere I visited and now look forward to being home.

But I will add that if I had a travel partner, I suspect I could last a long time away from home.

After extensive travel for business in the U.S., there are just a couple of places that are on our To See list. Our vacations are usually spent in Europe--often a mixture of on the ground and on cruise ships. We take no organized tours--which will be saved for when we really get old.

Domestic travel is now so expensive that it's hard to get by on less than $250 a day on the ground--even being frugal. And the price of hotels/motels is up dramatically with inflation.

We try to limit our trips to 2 full weeks and 3 weekends. With two homes and large yards, we just cannot leave for any longer. And that's about the max we can leave a pair of young cats locked up too.

My wife had extensive back surgery 7/12/2022, and she was only home 5 hours until a knee buckled and she broke a leg. She's been in hospitals and rehab facilities but is expected to come home 9/2. We have no idea what our future travel will be. If no long trips are in our future, we've had a great last 52 years of international travel and we've seen almost all we want to see. Our advice is to get it while the gettin's good.

Our first extended trip post retirement was 7 months.

After that we did a few @ 3 months each.

DW prefers two months. I prefer 3 or 4 months. Ten years later our out of country medical/evac is getting expensive. My pension plan provides 60 days out of country for each trip so this is what we now limit ourselves to for the past six years.

Fall trip is usually Sept/Oct to Europe. Winter trip is mid Jan to mid March. Usually one of Thailand/Australia, Mexico, or Central and South America

Now post covid we are getting back to it. All trip are all independent last trips, lots of spontaneous travels. If we see a last minute cruise or resort offer during our travels we take advantage of it. With the exception of an African safari we make all of our own travel arrangements.

We have arranged our life for lock and leave. No pets, not plants, no garden or snow removal to concern ourselves with.

We do shorter 1-2 week trips in between plus AI with daughter and family at Xmas.

My wife had extensive back surgery 7/12/2022, and she was only home 5 hours until a knee buckled and she broke a leg. She's been in hospitals and rehab facilities but is expected to come home 9/2. We have no idea what our future travel will be. If no long trips are in our future, we've had a great last 52 years of international travel and we've seen almost all we want to see. Our advice is to get it while the gettin's good.

I am so sorry to hear this about your DW. I am sure it is hard on all of you. Praying that she heals quickly.

This is the first time in my life I have not had pets since the mid 80s. No plans to get additional pets until we get years of travel out of the way!

We are down to our last dog since Jan 1985, he turns 17 Thanksgiving day, born here. He half lives next door with my brother anyway, no problems taking off. Most weekend camping trips he goes with us anyway.

We plan out a 3-4 week camping trip each summer and take the Grandson. We do plan to do some serious extensive travels once the DW retires in a few years. Moved to a Toy Hauler to bring the fun stuff with us... Even considering doing some camp hosting to save/make some money.

Our longest trip has been to snowbird in Florida. We love it, but miss the grandkids. Our longest overseas trip was a two week Baltic cruise with some time in London before and after. Because of health reasons my international travel is done except for cruises leaving from the east coast. I’m encouraging DW to take her two sisters to Ireland soon before she can’t travel. One sister is reluctant to fly over water. We’re working on her. 🥃[emoji485]🥂

Bamaman so sorry to hear about your DW ongoing health struggles. It's one thing to say goodbye to international travel and another thing to have your everyday life turned completely upside down.

I hope things improve for you and DW as she is able to come home. This level of illness is hard on both of you.

When we travel for 2-3 months at a time we will typically spend at least 3 nights in one place, more often a week when we are snowbirding. On our 7 month trip we took a condo in Costa Rica for a month. If we get somewhere that we like we tend to stay longer.

Just came back from 5 weeks in Portugal. Had an apartment in Madeira for 6 nights. Did two other stops of four nights each.

Slow travelers.

Watch out for breakfasts that are not a full hot breakfast with several choices. I’ve been fooled a few time when breakfast is a bag of sugary, carby, junk food . Not even a box of milk for the kids or for me to use in my homemade granola.

Since moving to the Islands, we have taken a long trip back to our home area. We are fortunate to have a base once we return. From the base, we can drive anyplace connected by road. YMMV

Pre-pandemic I went on a measly 10 day trip and that felt long enough to be eager to go home.
Then I retired this year and this past May I sold my house and am doing 'slow travel' with my cat, staying in hotel apartments for one month in each location. I plan to continue traveling for a year or longer, unless I get tired of it and want to settle back down. I do miss having my own place, but for now I like trying out different towns/cities more than I miss having a settled home.

Pre-pandemic I went on a measly 10 day trip and that felt long enough to be eager to go home.
Then I retired this year and this past May I sold my house and am doing 'slow travel' with my cat, staying in hotel apartments for one month in each location. I plan to continue traveling for a year or longer, unless I get tired of it and want to settle back down. I do miss having my own place, but for now I like trying out different towns/cities more than I miss having a settled home.

OP here. One of the reasons I started this thread is because I have been watching some youtubers who do slow travel. They travel year round and stay about 1 month in each destination. This was appealing to me initially but the more I thought about it the more I realized I want a home base.

It's a very personal choice so I am not criticizing you in any way. They have suggested in a few episodes that they may be looking for a good place to settle down at some point. I think I have found that place.

I do suspect I will make somewhat longer trips when I retire and I do like the idea of slow travel.

I've done 20-25 days a few times.

Usually I'm ready to go home, return to routine, take care of some things.

Even with say 14-18 days on the ground, I can cover a lot weather permitting. So there's a sense of needing to reset or recharge.

Last year, I've turned around and went on overseas vacations within a month of each other.

Part of it is I'm still playing the airlines status game, so I chase x number of flights or miles per year.

I've thought about staying in one place in Europe for 2-3 months and then using it as a base to get around. Kind of an expensive way to do things. Save on transatlantic airfare but then you might be paying for two places sometimes, as you go for a trip for a few days outside the base.

You're also using up the 90 days that American citizens can spend in Europe without longer-term visas. That means you spend most of the summer there and wouldn't be able to return in the fall for instance.

I've thought about staying in one place in Europe for 2-3 months and then using it as a base to get around. Kind of an expensive way to do things. Save on transatlantic airfare but then you might be paying for two places sometimes, as you go for a trip for a few days outside the base.

I've done that on shorter trips- most recent was Munich with 2 nights in Malta in May, and Edinburgh with 2 nights in Paris in the fall of 2019.

I'm in Ljubljana Airport right now on my way home from 3 weeks in E. Europe. There were 11 in our tour group and we all cheerfully agreed we were ready to head home even though we had a great time. One couple had done a lot of longer trips to wilder destinations- 3-6 months in Africa, independent travel, eating local food, trying to get to know the locals, etc. You never do completely, of course, but they're gregarious and open-minded so I think the probably do pretty well. The husband has had shows of his portraits of people from all over the world.

We certainly enjoyed or 5 years of slow travel as RV full-timers. During that time our RV felt like home no matter where it was parked. In fact I was just thinking the other day how wonderful it was not having to pack and unpack our or prepare a house for leaving during that whole 5 year period compared to our current car trips.

Early in retirement we purposely didn’t get new pets after our elderly cat died because we wanted to be able to travel unencumbered. And we’ve kept that view. So we’re fine being gone for months at a time.

In fact for me I’m usually not ready to “come home”.

How is Ljubljana?

I was just in Trieste.

Considered driving to Ljubljana and Lake Bled as day trip but the car rental company said only certain cars could go into Eastern Europe and I wasn't willing to pay the differential for a day trip.

Alternatively I could have done a van tour but for some reason, it's 9 hours, compared to about an hour drive from Trieste to Ljubljana according to Google Maps.

I didn't want to spend hours in a van with strangers.

There is also a First Lady theme tour of Slovenia as well.

The longest trip I had this year was 5 weeks. I also had a 3 and 2 week trip, the latter I’m wrapping up right now.

A lot of time I’ve been solo and I’ve realized that it’s better to have company. I expect I won’t be taking too many lengthy solo trips
in the future. It’s not the lack of company either, since I was either working and/or visiting with others, but I find that even a week or so without a partner isn’t as fun.

No regrets. Every time I travel I learn something new. I had fun everywhere I visited and now look forward to being home.

But I will add that if I had a travel partner, I suspect I could last a long time away from home.

I agree, having a compatible travel companion/partner, would keep me on the road for a long time.

As it is now, the people I know either 1) don't have the health, 2) don't have the wealth, 3) have pets they can't leave for more than a few days, or 4) don't have the interest to travel for more than a few days, if at all.

I keep hoping I'll run into a fellow footloose, fancy-free globe-trotter one of these days.

omni

OP here. One of the reasons I started this thread is because I have been watching some youtubers who do slow travel. They travel year round and stay about 1 month in each destination. This was appealing to me initially but the more I thought about it the more I realized I want a home base.

It's a very personal choice so I am not criticizing you in any way. They have suggested in a few episodes that they may be looking for a good place to settle down at some point. I think I have found that place.

I do suspect I will make somewhat longer trips when I retire and I do like the idea of slow travel.

Do you have places or climates or other criteria that you are looking for? I would struggle with slow travel - at least without a home base. BUT it would be nice to stay each place long enough to get the lay of the land, find out the good and not so good, get to know people, calculate local costs, etc. It sorta sounds like fun. Enjoy.

Do you have places or climates or other criteria that you are looking for? I would struggle with slow travel - at least without a home base. BUT it would be nice to stay each place long enough to get the lay of the land, find out the good and not so good, get to know people, calculate local costs, etc. It sorta sounds like fun. Enjoy.

I quite like the Hawaii climate but I think if I stayed a month somewhere it would have to be because there is a lot of local history or culture I was interested in. Spain, parts of France, Portugal, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay maybe, Costa Rica, maybe Vienna/Budapest for the Hapsburg stuff. A friend lived in Turkey much of his childhood because his father manned a listening post for the USAF. He raved about a lot of stuff there like crusader castles so that might have enough cultural density to be of interest. He also lamented how some of the marble monuments he had pictures of from the 70s after 2000 years had noticibly deteriorated in recent photos. Sad

To match the Hawaii climate someplace like Tahiti, Cook Islands, Tonga, Samoa, etc. would work. But they are similar enough that I can't see staying a month.

This is as classic of YMMV topic as percentage of spending on various things!

We do long trips, but usually not slow travel. Trying to do everything physically demanding while we still can.

Longest trip so far was 3 months diving in seven destinations throughout the south pacific. (Have a 10 week trip coming up, which will involve three weeks on an Antarctic cruise, which will be our new record for length of stay.) Unusual for us to go international for less than a month apart from a week or two diving in the Caribbean. If we have a long flight, we don't want to "waste" expensive plane tickets. :LOL:

Like others have mentioned, we have no pets--knowing our retirement travel plans/hopes, we didn't replace DW's cat when it died a couple of years before we retired. That, plus grandkids on either coast, whilst we live in the middle, removes much of the reason to be home.

DW actually gets antsy when we've been home for a month and starts investigating immediate domestic trips to fill the gaps. Probably going to get back to long driving trips in the US in 2023 or 2024, assuming that the crowding that started in late 2020 goes away.

This is as classic of YMMV topic as percentage of spending on various things!

We do long trips, but usually not slow travel. Trying to do everything physically demanding while we still can.

Longest trip so far was 3 months diving in seven destinations throughout the south pacific. (Have a 10 week trip coming up, which will involve three weeks on an Antarctic cruise, which will be our new record for length of stay.) Unusual for us to go international for less than a month apart from a week or two diving in the Caribbean. If we have a long flight, we don't want to "waste" expensive plane tickets. :LOL:

Like others have mentioned, we have no pets--knowing our retirement travel plans/hopes, we didn't replace DW's cat when it died a couple of years before we retired. That, plus grandkids on either coast, whilst we live in the middle, removes much of the reason to be home.

DW actually gets antsy when we've been home for a month and starts investigating immediate domestic trips to fill the gaps. Probably going to get back to long driving trips in the US in 2023 or 2024, assuming that the crowding that started in late 2020 goes away.

Your 3-month South Pacific diving trip sounds intriguing. Where did you dive and was there a favorite? We’ve been to Fiji, Indonesia, and Palau. Never been to Great Barrier Reef, Philippines, Papua New Guinea, or the wreck dive places such as Yap.

Up until 2017 I thought I didn't like traveling. But that has changed after I went on a fully organized 2 months long solo trip to South America. I realized I didn't like short trips - I only became comfortable about 6 weeks in when moving around became a lifestyle. And then the trip was over...

Now I still travel solo but prefer being spontaneous - just buy one way ticket and go. It's usually a mixture of being a tourist and staying somewhere for a few weeks to get a taste of a local life. So last year I spent the whole winter in Portugal - mostly in Lisbon with a country road trip sandwiched in the middle. I'm going back to Europe for two months on Monday and then plan winter in South America.

Traveling became my retirement lifestyle and I wouldn't change it for anything. The thing I like the most is living without a clutter and a routine, Every time I come back home and look at all the stuff I accumulated over the years I feel depressed. And not having a routine gives me the illusion of my time being stretched. All the stimulation builds a mountain of new memories so I feel like a month away from home is comparable to a year or more at home.

Back
Top Bottom