Long vacation in England

During the 7 months we have been here we spent $21k on US expenses, putting us on target for an annual expense of ~$80k excluding taxes.
Sounds reasonable. Thanks for your additional info.

Of course, even if I/DW wished to live there (wonderful having roses in the middle of winter - at least before the recent snow periods), we would have a challange of the extra charges we would have to pay for medical.

Sounds reasonable. Thanks for your additional info.

Of course, even if I/DW wished to live there (wonderful having roses in the middle of winter - at least before the recent snow periods), we would have a challange of the extra charges we would have to pay for medical.

I'm not sure how the medical works if you were successful in obtaining permanent residence, but I'm pretty sure that once you have lived here for 12 months and established permanent residence there are no charges.

You can also by Health Insurance here which I expect is much cheaper than US HI which you would not need.

I'm not sure how the medical works if you were successful in obtaining permanent residence, but I'm pretty sure that once you have lived here for 12 months and established permanent residence there are no charges.

If you show intent to live permanently in the UK, NHS entitlement starts from day one.

If you show intent to live permanently in the UK, NHS entitlement starts from day one.

Thanks Peter, I figured that was the case. It certainly works that way for us as we are UK citizens and just need to declare our intent. I didn't think it would be different for resident aliens but wasn't sure.

We are...

Wife is from Venus; I'm from Mars :LOL: ...

We always thought this was hilarious while we had our US resident alien cards to prove we were also from another world.

Last edited:
Sounds good, but how much was the total cost (include your ongoing expenses in the U.S. for the period, while you were away?).

Maybe GB should be added to foreign retirement options (I/DW are game)? :angel:

The UK once had a retirement visa, you needed 25k pounds a year income and a "close connection" to the UK, that might be family or business. However, that's been discontinued so for the average non-EU citizen or person without UK right of abode it's difficult to retire in the UK. Of course if you have lots of money you'll probably get in in as an investor or entrepenure.

We always thought this was hilarious while we had our US resident alien cards to prove we were also from another world.

Sting - Englishman In New York - YouTube

I remember seeing John Hurt in "The Naked Civil Servant" when I was 13. I didn't fully understand it, but I could see it was great acting and that Quentin Crisp was a great man and probably always something of an alien where ever he was.

Renting the unfurnished house has cost an average of $480/week and that includes all the costs of furniture, council taxes, TV and cable etc.

Total cost of the whole 7 months including rental cars, air fares, food, other travel costs (including a week in Ireland and a week in Madeira) is ~$35k.

Alan, I'm interested in your living costs excluding one time vacation expenses like air fares. How much did you spend without those and how much of the $480/week was rent rather than services?

Hi Nun,

The rent for the 3 bed detached unfurnished house was £650/month ($243/week). The rest of the costs were services, council taxes, plus cost of buying furinture and beds etc, everything that would normally be included in renting a holiday home (it didn't include rental cars, airfares etc which were included in seeing the total cost). I wanted to see how much it was to rent unfurnished as a comparison to renting a furnished or holiday home. (There were none available this year as we wanted the location to be Guisborough, but there was a big choice when it came to renting unfurnished).

OK, when I run my NE England retirement scenario my monthly budget is around $3k with $750 to $1k of that for rent. Is this sensible for a single relatively frugal person?

OK, when I run my NE England retirement scenario my monthly budget is around $3k with $750 to $1k of that for rent. Is this sensible for a single relatively frugal person?

Yes, that sounds very reasonable and should provide a comfortable living over here.

The long vacation sounded wonderful! I love all the hiking that you did. Thanks for sharing the expenses too. It is helpful in trying to figure out what a person can do.

attachment.php
this pic is so amazing :X

this pic is so amazing :X

Thanks. When we used to live there I would sometimes walk up and just sit and de-stress from a day's work. (it was only a 30 minute walk from the house).

Welcome to the site, why don't you introduce yourself in the "Hi, I am..." forum.

Back
Top Bottom