Long vacation in England

Oh yeah, DW is a real expert in Genealogy, and I could spend hours telling you about the interesting stuff she has found out on both our families.

Apart from church records she has recovered all sorts of stuff from wills, census returns, military records etc. She loves getting into all the social aspects of the times, what folks did, how they came to be where they were etc. For example, she not only knows that my 8 x great grandfather was baptized here in Guisborough in the 18th century she also knew that he was a stone mason and made some of the headstones in the church here.

While we were in England last year we visited the archives at Kew (she's been there before) so she could find out more about one of her direct relatives who was a drummer in Wellington's army at the battle of Waterloo. She found his muster records for his army career, and it was interesting to see that drummers were paid a penny a month more than regular privates, probably due to the higher skill level and training required.

With my little research I met a guy who has made it is passion on researching our family. Since many were nobility, much information was available. So far he has gone back 1200 years! A few years ago my daughter's grade school project asked for as much of the family tree as possible. We taped together 17 pages for of direct descendants! I was able to give him some info on parts of the tree in Canada that he had lost touch with. I look forward to visiting some of the family historic sites in the coming years. Six months might be a bit long, but the DW has lots of family in Ireland. You posts have got me back in the mood.

We only saw one other person, a lone male walker, in his 60's, who overtook us but did stop to chat. He pointed out a small diversion to visit a small monument in the middle of the heather to the fallen men of WWI from Commondale, and also recommended the guiness at the pub in Commondale. When we got there he was sitting outside and had told the landlord we were close behind as he was about to close the pub and go pigeon shooting. The landlord had kindly waited and as soon as he'd served us, he picked up his shotgun, locked up and strode off with his happy, bouncy, springer spaniel leading the way.

Your writing creates such a wonderful scene in my mind! I've been careful to note all the places you've mentioned (and will describe in future posts, I'm certain :)) and that others have mentioned in this thread, for my trip next year. Your posts and pictures are the equivalent of an ER travelogue!

Nice to see you've gotten settled in Alan. Have you ever made the coast to coast hike? It runs west to east starting at St. Bees and ends at Robin Hoods Bay.

Coast to Coast Path map

We've done sections of it but have never done it all. The longest walk I've done is the Lyke Wake walk (~42 miles), and that was enough for me. DW is not up to very long walks, so our walks will not be longer than 10 - 20 miles these days.

BTW, we love Robin Hoods Bay and will definitely be going there again in the near future.

Thanks Alan so much for doing this. I love England.
You're very welcome.

I watching Wuthering Heights in your honor tonight Alan. Been on my mind since I saw this thread.

The classic with Laurence Olivier and Merle Oberon of course:flowers:

My favorite version as well :)

Alan here are a couple of pictures I took May 2009. I rode my bike from London to Middlesbrough and on the final day rode from Malton, through Kirbymoorside, Hutton-le-Hole, Blakey Rigg (stopped for lunch and a pint) Westerdale and past Roseberry Topping.

Great photos. I remember you saying before that you had made that bike ride and I'm very impressed indeed.

With my little research I met a guy who has made it is passion on researching our family. Since many were nobility, much information was available. So far he has gone back 1200 years! A few years ago my daughter's grade school project asked for as much of the family tree as possible. We taped together 17 pages for of direct descendants! I was able to give him some info on parts of the tree in Canada that he had lost touch with. I look forward to visiting some of the family historic sites in the coming years. Six months might be a bit long, but the DW has lots of family in Ireland. You posts have got me back in the mood.

I love hearing all the info and stories that DW finds out, but I'm not patient or commited enough to do the work myself. We'll be off to Ireland in May, when DD and SIL come over for a visit.

Your writing creates such a wonderful scene in my mind! I've been careful to note all the places you've mentioned (and will describe in future posts, I'm certain :)) and that others have mentioned in this thread, for my trip next year. Your posts and pictures are the equivalent of an ER travelogue!

Thank you.

The weather is overcast this morning, but we are still going to take a walk now (10:30) along the forest walk to the visitor center at Pinchenthorpe.

Love is in the air :smitten:

On today's walk we saw lots of frogs engaging in their springtime orgies. We also saw a pair of woodpeckers. The female flew from tree to tree, giving each one a good hammering, but each time the male landed next to her she flew off again. Maybe she was afraid the woodpecker would peck her.

They were too far away and too quick for my little point and click camera, but a kingfisher was kind enough to sit long enough for me to take a photo :whistle:

On the way back we took a little detour to pick up cod and chips to eat as we walked. - Magic!!

Attachments

• Pinchingthorpe - Kingfisher.jpg
    Pinchingthorpe - Kingfisher.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Love is in the air :smitten:

On today's walk we saw lots of frogs engaging in their springtime orgies. We also saw a pair of woodpeckers. The female flew from tree to tree, giving each one a good hammering, but each time the male landed next to her she flew off again. Maybe she was afraid the woodpecker would peck her....

Maybe she was playing hard to peck :) .

I love the photo of the kingfisher!

She found his muster records for his army career, and it was interesting to see that drummers were paid a penny a month more than regular privates, probably due to the higher skill level and training required.
Either that, or their role in organizing the maneuvers made them a very attractive target to the opposing forces...

Either that, or their role in organizing the maneuvers made them a very attractive target to the opposing forces...

That was my initial thought last year, just like the poor old platoon sergeants in WWI wearing the big white sash and blowing the whistles to initiate an advance from the trenches.

A little more thought and I realized that a major part of the communications in battle were the drummers, and they did need additional training by the army.

More prices

We encountred a few more costs this week, as expected, but I thought I'd share them.

Annual water and sewage charges for the house are £498 ($797), of which we will pay 7 months worth.

Annual TV licence is £245.50 ($393) which we had to pay in full and then we'll apply for a rebate when we leave the country.

Sales tax (VAT) is 20% on most things, including a 32" Sharp LCD which we splashed out on. The TV was new and cost £245 incl. taxes ($392).

Petrol (gas) costs £1.32 / litre ($8/gal).
Car tax - under 1549cc £125/year ($200), over 1600cc $205/year ($328)
However, we are not buying a car for this stay, just using public transport and we'll hire a car only when we need to on special occaisions.

We are still waiting for our Council Tax bill which is the equivalent of the property tax.

Food prices seem very reasonable, some higher, some lower. eg we like really nice bread, whole wheat, seeds and grains etc, and we can get a variety of excellent large medium sliced loaves for £1.25 a loaf ($2). Bananas however are expensive at £0.39 / lb ($0.62).

We encountred a few more costs this week, as expected, but I thought I'd share them.

Annual water and sewage charges for the house are £498 ($797), of which we will pay 7 months worth.

In Boston pay the same for my water and sewer

Annual TV licence is £245.50 ($393) which we had to pay in full and then we'll apply for a rebate when we leave the country.

Obviously no licence fee, but I pay $120 a month for cable and internet access. I'd be interested in what those cost in the UK.

Sales tax (VAT) is 20% on most things, including a 32" Sharp LCD which we splashed out on. The TV was new and cost £245 incl. taxes ($392).

I just bought a 32"Sony Bravia and those go for $500 or $900 depending on refresh rate.

Petrol (gas) costs £1.32 / litre ($8/gal).
Car tax - under 1549cc £125/year ($200), over 1600cc $205/year ($328)
However, we are not buying a car for this stay, just using public transport and we'll hire a car only when we need to on special occaisions.

Petrol is $3.45 a gallon and I paid $250 car tax this year

We are still waiting for our Council Tax bill which is the equivalent of the property tax.

My property tax was $6k this year.

Food prices seem very reasonable, some higher, some lower. eg we like really nice bread, whole wheat, seeds and grains etc, and we can get a variety of excellent large medium sliced loaves for £1.25 a loaf ($2). Bananas however are expensive at £0.39 / lb ($0.62).

Overall I find that the UK and US are pretty close when it comes to cost of living. The big differences I found are in petrol, sales tax....although most basic stuff doesn't differ in cost much, property tax and the big one is the cost of health insurance. By the way how are you dealing with that. I assume you're covered by your US healthcare and as you are just visiting the UK the NHS won't cover you for anything except emergencies.

A couple of days ago we planned to go and join the gym this morning but the forecast changed and said the rain wouldn't come in until tomorrow so we went on a walk to the coast along part of The Cleveland Way from our house to Saltburn by the Sea.

It was another beautiful sunny day and the walk took us 2.5 hours to travel 7.1 miles, climbing up to 645' from our house at 340', and alongside rolling fields before reaching Skelton and then dropping down through Crow Wood and along Skelton Beck through Saltburn Valley Gardens to finish up at The Ship pub where we had lunch. (Steak and Kidney pud for me with a pint of guinness while DW had Ruby chicken and a glass of cider - a chicken breast covered in a delightful red sauce made of port and stilton cheese). The drinks cost £4.65 ($7.44). Each meal was served with boiled new potatoes, green beans and carrots, and cost of both was £17.90 ($28.64) including tip.

We wandered through the town afterwards, picked up some groceries, and the caught the bus home, which drops us almost right outside our door - cost of bus £2.70 each. ($4.32).
I've added a couple of photos we took en-route, but this short series of photos here sums up our journey, except the gardens at Salburn today were indeed a blaze of colour from the spring flowers.

Attachments

• Guisborough - view from top of hill at Slapewath.jpg
    Guisborough - view from top of hill at Slapewath.jpg
    620.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Skelton -view  towards Saltburn.jpg
    Skelton -view towards Saltburn.jpg
    969.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Saltburn - view from sea wall.jpg
    Saltburn - view from sea wall.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 2
In Boston pay the same for my water and sewer

Obviously no licence fee, but I pay $120 a month for cable and internet access. I'd be interested in what those cost in the UK.

I just bought a 32"Sony Bravia and those go for $500 or $900 depending on refresh rate.

Petrol is $3.45 a gallon and I paid $250 car tax this year

My property tax was $6k this year.

Overall I find that the UK and US are pretty close when it comes to cost of living. The big differences I found are in petrol, sales tax....although most basic stuff doesn't differ in cost much, property tax and the big one is the cost of health insurance. By the way how are you dealing with that. I assume you're covered by your US healthcare and as you are just visiting the UK the NHS won't cover you for anything except emergencies.

I agree with you on the cost comparison between UK and US. I forgot about the cable and internet, an essential service for us. We got connected with Virgin Media for a combo package of basic cable and 30 MB/sec internet for £51.45 ($82.32) per month, no cancellation fee after 6 months. We decided to add a landline to that for £5/month ($8), unlimited free calls after 6pm and at weekends. The channels include all the sports channels I want, mainly to see all the soccer games.

I checked with my insurance, BCBS, before we left regarding health insurance and they told me I was covered, and showed me where their international number is, and to call if needed. For small stuff we'll just pay as we visit and claim when we get back. I did look at their website for BCBS recommended hospitals in our area and there were a couple close by in Middlesborough.

When we here a year ago an Aunt of mine who was visiting go a real bad dose of flu and it cost her £75 ($120) for her visit to the doctor which she would claim back on her travel insurance. (I can't remember if that covered any medicine or shots).

I checked with Amex travel before checking with BCBS and the health insurance for us was only $9/mo each.

If you are to move back permanently I believe you have be a resident for 6 months before you are covered by the NHS.

Beautiful photos, Alan. I'm glad I don't have to pay even 1/3 that much for water/sewage.

Are you thinking of moving back permanently?

If you are to move back permanently I believe you have be a resident for 6 months before you are covered by the NHS.

As soon as you become ordinarily resident in the UK the NHS covers you, and if you are a UK citizen you become ordinarily resident as soon as you move back with the intent to stay. As you are only visiting that doesn't apply even if you are a UK citizen......intent is the key factor in determining this with evidence like rent and utility bills and cutting foreign ties like selling a house abroad.

I like the photos of your most recent walk, Alan. Do you or Mrs. Alan ever get blisters from putting in so many miles? How do you prevent them (I just got a hellacious blister at the base of my heel after simply walking at a steady pace for 3 miles on a treadmill!)? Any tips for the sole-challenged among us?

From my experience the answer would be no. We lived in the UK twice and both times it fell to us to pay the annual council taxes which were normally over 1,000 quid a year.

Yes that's what I've found too. It's more of an occupation tax and is paid by whoever lives in the property not necessarily the owner.

FYI this is one walk around Alan's home base that I really love

Great Ayton - Roseberry Topping - Captain Cook's Monument - Kildale

and here's a photo of Great Ayton...next village over from Guisborough i took last November

Attachments

• winter.jpg
    winter.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 5
Beautiful photos, Alan. I'm glad I don't have to pay even 1/3 that much for water/sewage.

Are you thinking of moving back permanently?

The rent is only $1,000/mo for a lovely, modern, 3-bed detached house so it's not so bad really. Looking at house prices in the local realtor offices, it is worth ~$240,000.

Both our children live in Texas and our son is quite needy so we have no plans to move back permanently. There is also a very good reason why we are here March through October - the winters are miserable.

I'm sure that by the end of the stay we will be homesick for Texas even though we are really enjoying ourselves at present. Watch this space - a wet and cold summer will accelerate that homesickness :)

The real question is if Alan likes "mushy peas" :whistle: ...

It keeps me from going back, although DW/me attended "Love Never Dies" (follow up to Fathom) in the West End last June (followed by a bite to eat at a bistro near the theatre, where my DW was served - and loved, the therefore mentioned gastric abnormality).

A wonderful county, although (forgive me) I enjoy the "north county" (e.g. Scotland) a bit more. However, regardless of the country, I still hate those damed "roundabouts", along with mushy peas :ROFLMAO: ...

Isn't this part of your rent already?

As noted below, this is not normal as the council task is really aimed at the person(s) using all the local facilities. For a while it was replaced by a "poll tax".

As soon as you become ordinarily resident in the UK the NHS covers you, and if you are a UK citizen you become ordinarily resident as soon as you move back with the intent to stay. As you are only visiting that doesn't apply even if you are a UK citizen......intent is the key factor in determining this with evidence like rent and utility bills and cutting foreign ties like selling a house abroad.

Thanks for the clarification, I hadn't really looked into it that closely and I certainly don't want to do anything to compromise my non-resident status at present.

I like the photos of your most recent walk, Alan. Do you or Mrs. Alan ever get blisters from putting in so many miles? How do you prevent them (I just got a hellacious blister at the base of my heel after simply walking at a steady pace for 3 miles on a treadmill!)? Any tips for the sole-challenged among us?

Thick socks and good, well fitted, walking boots is what we use, even when walking on the road. I rubbed up a bit of a blister the day after we arrived. I woke up early and slipped out as quietly as I could for a long walk around the town (60+ minutes) but I had just put on my old trainers and hadn't laced them tightly enough.

From my experience the answer would be no. We lived in the UK twice and both times it fell to us to pay the annual council taxes which were normally over 1,000 quid a year.

Thanks for the supporting info :)

Yes that's what I've found too. It's more of an occupation tax and is paid by whoever lives in the property not necessarily the owner.

FYI this is one walk around Alan's home base that I really love

Great Ayton - Roseberry Topping - Captain Cook's Monument - Kildale

and here's a photo of Great Ayton...next village over from Guisborough i took last November

On our way back today we decided that our next walk will be the Cleveland Way in the other direction ending up at Captain Cook's monument, then walk into Great Ayton for lunch and catch the bus home.

The real question is if Alan likes "mushy peas" :whistle: ...

It keeps me from going back, although DW/me attended "Love Never Dies" (follow up to Fathom) in the West End last June (followed by a bite to eat at a bistro near the theatre, where my DW was served - and loved, the therefore mentioned gastric abnormality).

A wonderful county, although (forgive me) I enjoy the "north county" (e.g. Scotland) a bit more. However, regardless of the country, I still hate those damed "roundabouts", along with mushy peas :ROFLMAO: ...

Oh yes, I love mushy peas
thumbsup.gif

I also love peas pudding - hot, cold or in the pan 3 days old.

We have a great butcher here just 10 minute walk away who does lovely peas pudding and also fantastic pies and cold cut meats. So, I've already had steak & kidney pie and mushy peas, plus sandwhiches made with ham and peas pudding
sHa_okay.gif

Oh yes, I love mushy peas
thumbsup.gif

I also love peas pudding - hot, cold or in the pan 3 days old.

We have a great butcher here just 10 minute walk away who does lovely peas pudding and also fantastic pies and cold cut meats. So, I've already had steak & kidney pie and mushy peas, plus sandwhiches made with ham and peas pudding
sHa_okay.gif
OK, you're on my ignore list (just kidding)....

Back
Top Bottom