Join Early Retirement Today

Looking for a travel group
Old 05-10-2019, 07:10 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Looking for a travel group

We are in our early 50's and looking for a travel group for tours in Europe and wherever. We like the flexibility of exploring on our own. Any thoughts on travel/tour groups. We would like to be with other like minded couples. My husband is semi-retired and being our age, most traveling couples tend towards late 60's. While we don't mind being with people who are older, we also would enjoy being with couples in our same stage of life.
TrophyWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2019, 07:39 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My parents were fortunate to have been taken in by a group of 23 world travelers. Half were about 70 years old at the time, and the rest were in their early 50's. Six ladies usually went and left their husbands home to tend to the cattle. Adult children were allowed to come--but otherwise it was a closed group. They went all over the world, and were an extremely vivacious bunch. And money was never an issue for any of them.

Such groups are hard to find. It's almost like you have to assemble a group of very well to do people that are willing to go anywhere on a few weeks' notice. And it's nice to have a group president that can really find the good travel bargains and is extremely well traveled already.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:10 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Is there any chance your alma mater has a travel association? I found out mine did years ago, but I’ve been busy toiling and letting my best years slip past. I figure I’ll take advantage once I semi-FIRE. I’ll likely be the youngest grad in the the group, but it should be huge fun at least once.

You might also search around on Facebook. Facebook used to be really good for that stuff 10 years ago, but it’s become unnavigable for me.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:07 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Perhaps other social groups already have a subgroup for travel.
My Mom used to travel with both her University group, and her Church group.

Besides the age restriction, there is also the $$ restriction, and the interests restrictions all of which will limit travel.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:20 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I recently reconnected with a former college roommate, and she encouraged me to join her on a small group tour organized by our university alumni association. Judging by the active itinerary, I’m pretty sure there will be at least a few who are in their 50’s like us. About 30 days prior to departure, we will be sent brief biographies with a photo of all participants who sent one in. Should be a good experience.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:49 AM   #6

This describes us (late 50's), although we usually travel alone. My sister runs a custom travel co that you might look at - EuroTravelCoach.com.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:34 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
DW and I are turning 58 this year and thinking the same. Spending a month in the Mediterranean beginning 10 October. Origins began with an alumni sponsored trip, then we realized we could save a bundle a DIY. Getting a kick out of planning our first European vacation.
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:14 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

1) Get an Atlas.

2) Find somewhere you think might be interesting.

3) Go there.

4) Come home afterward.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:07 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Browse on over to Collette or Globus website. We've been on several of their trips. Everyone was 'retirement-aged'. Most were fun people. Still in contact with a British couple we met a while back.
Pick a destination and go.
Mykle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:09 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I have heard good things about Road Scholar. My wife and I take a bike tour with VBT at least once a year. We love them.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:43 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

We prefer to plan and travel by ourselves. I am surprised as young as you are that you want a tour.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
OP - There is a conflict of goals as you like the flexibility of travel on your own, but being in a group means you lose that to varying degrees.

Actual tours have little flexibility as they have a schedule to follow.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

OP: DH and I have traveled a lot, as a couple making all our own arrangements, with another couple of friends, with a bigger group of friends, and most recently on a Globus tour to Greece in March, because we just didn’t want to deal with making a ton of arrangements for a country where we can’t even read the street signs and there is sooooo much to see (DH had just done extensive planning for a trip to Spain six months previous). We did not know anyone on the tour with us.

There were 39 people on our bus with a dedicated degreed guide the entire time who was just amazing. Ten of us were in our sixties; the rest were from 23 years old up to mid-fifties. One single traveler, mostly couples, two groups of four. As much interaction as we wanted—we usually sat with a different couple at every dinner, by ourselves for breakfast, in a group for lunch. Everyone was very nice and friendly, lots of laughing, no weirdness at all. No slowpokes or mobility issues at all either—there was so much walking that perhaps we self-selected, but we were all on or off that bus in two to three minutes (I timed it); and the driver and hotel people took care of all the luggage. We could and did peel off from the group whenever we wanted, and although we shared email addresses with the other people, I doubt we’ll stay in touch.

You might look into something like that. DH picked the trip and it didn’t hurt that the price was right. I was surprised, honestly, at how much I enjoyed it!
Old 05-11-2019, 02:23 PM   #14

Check with your alma mater's alumni association. I get brochures frequently about travel/tours they are doing and obviously everyone has a connection.

You can also check Adventures by Disney - I would gather it attracts a younger crowd. From what I've read they are very good. I'd imagine it is a little pricier as well.

https://www.adventuresbydisney.com
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:54 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

In 2018 DW & I sat on a park bench, had lunch, (an apple & a banana each), and chatted with an elderly, (even older than me), Israeli lady in Sighisoara, Romania.

She was with a tour, and complained that the other members of her group only wanted to eat..."They're over there in the restaurant right now" she said.

From her perspective they no sooner got on the bus after breakfast and they were talking about lunch......not a happy tourer.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 03:06 PM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

My friend who is a perpetual traveler raves about overseas adventure travel.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 03:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
My friend who is a perpetual traveler raves about overseas adventure travel.
I have two (separate) acquaintances who each love OAT tours as well. They say they are bit pricey, but the groups are small with great guides, they offer tours to off-the-beaten path places, and the pricing seems to attract a 'certain' (well-heeled and educated) crowd. They also offer discounts for returning guests. The way the tours are timed, there's also the option to string several tours together, which is what each of these people have done.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 03:32 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I have heard good things about Road Scholar. My wife and I take a bike tour with VBT at least once a year. We love them.

I just returned home from a trip to Costa Rica with Road Scholar, I was pretty impressed. The last group travel I did was to China with my UC Berkeley Alumni travel. Road Scholar was significantly less expensive and every bit as educational.

There were 16 of us youngest 52, oldest 80 average age probably 68 or 69. Ours was active tour (kayaking, hiking, white water rafting, ziplining). Our guide was mid-30s very professional and extremely knowledgable about the birds and animals of the regions. Accomodations were adequate to good. My only complaint was the food which was pretty monotonous. But the group camaraderie made up for the food.

I haven't ridden a not stationary bicycle in years, but I'm interested VBT, do nonbikers go on their trips? how strenuous are they?
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 03:35 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Check out the 'flex' programs offered by RoadScholar.org They also offer a lot of other trips to Europe, but their 'flex' programs give you more time on your own.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:40 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Meetup often has travel groups. However some of them seem tobe formed for the originator to get a free trip. That put me off. Have traveled to over 50 countries since retiring in 07.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote