Low Canadian-Dollar ; lower expectations

A dollar American is now 75 cents. I will be spending more time in Canada for my holidays. I will take advantage of the free Discovery Pass to visit Canada's National parks and Historic sites.

I will be staying closer to home.
Now you have me worried.

We have a trip planned to Canada in July to do lots of day hikes in the Banff, Jasper, and Waterton areas. We have most of our lodging reservations already.

Will we run into crowds on the trails?

Now you have me worried.

We have a trip planned to Canada in July to do lots of day hikes in the Banff, Jasper, and Waterton areas. We have most of our lodging reservations already.

It will certainly be busy in the main towns of Banff, Canmore, Lake Louise, and Jasper. The trails should be OK other than the very well known ones close to the towns. Still worth it as it is absolutely spectacular.

Now you have me worried.

July 1 is Canada's sesquicentennial. Expect the National Parks to be jammed (as they always are in the summer). The government has made access to the parks free this year, last year the annual family pass was $136.

It will certainly be busy in the main towns of Banff, Canmore, Lake Louise, and Jasper. The trails should be OK other than the very well known ones close to the towns. Still worth it as it is absolutely spectacular.
We experienced a lot more hikers in Yosemite's eastern part (near Tioga Pass) last August. I think that might have been because of the exposure the parks got due to the U.S. park's Centennial. In Yosemite Valley it was a zoo although we rarely have visited there in the summer so no basis for comparison. There were actual traffic jams in the valley.

DW would be sad if I suggested holding off our Canada trip for another year until the hoopla dies down.

Healthcare "costs" about $150/mo per couple plus extra taxes on gas, liquor and cigarettes (BC).

OTOH you can expect government backed pensions for ~$13000-16000 (x2 if married) a year when retired. And you get to visit the national parks free this year!

Now you have me worried.

I loved Banff! Moraine Lake is spectacular, even more so than Lake Louise IMHO. My visit there was at the beginning of September when USD was even stronger (I think it was USD$ was CAD$1.60 or so, back in 2002), but the parks were not crowded probably because it was getting very cold already...I have a feeling it will be so busy in July, but no more so than in 2002?

Last edited:
The town of Banff will be so crowded you will have difficulty finding a parking spot. Same at Lake Louise. Moraine lake probably the worst. Canmore a little less so. September would be better than July. Summer comes late to the Rockies but often stays late as well. When in Banff don't miss the Whyte Museum of the Canadian Rockies. One of the most interesting places in town.

2017 is Canada's 150th birthday and there will be lots of celebrating but I wouldn't think battling the extra crowds would be worth it.

Last edited:
We drove the RV up to Banff in May 2012, parked it and stayed in a timeshare for a week. It was not cold, and the crowd was not too bad. Up in Jasper, there was still snow of course.

We intended to linger longer with the RV, but had to rush home because of our son's hospitalization. Maybe in 2018 we will come up and stay longer on the way to Alaska.

It can often be quite cold in May/June and often wet. Mostly rain but sometimes flurries. The weather is very variable and averages can fool you. I've seen it snow in every month but July. I'm told it can snow in July but so far have missed this. But anytime you come I'm sure you'll love it. I've had the top down on my convertible one year driving up to Jasper on Oct 1. Unusual. By the way the drive from Lake Louise to Jasper is absolutely stunning.

I was lucky, and the weather was very nice the week we were in Banff.

I did drive up to the Snow Dome, but did not have time to go all the way to Edmonton. At the visitor center, I learned that Snow Dome is a Triple Divide. The other Triple Divide is in Glacier National Park in Montana, which we visited in the same trip.

Back
Top Bottom