Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-07-2018, 10:41 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As Mick said:

"You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you just might find
You get what you need"

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2018, 03:11 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
We went to the front of every security line and were first into the airplanes. We also got priority seating in the plane for free. Every restaurant we went in, we were the first seated.... My wife loved being treated so well that she wants to keep using the wheelchair on future trips.
I have travelled many, many times to a certain Caribbean country (that I will not name as I have no desire to stereotype). On every flight to or from that country, a large number of passengers - easily identifiable as its citizens by their language, accent and physical characteristics - have been wheeled up to the head of the queue by airline staff. Then once the flight landed they all miraculously became able-bodied and hustled off the aircraft as fast as possible, with no further assistance needed!
Old 12-08-2018, 08:12 PM   #43

Quote:
As mentioned previously, we're light travelers. But on our April trip to France, England and Ireland, my wife was in a wheelchair.

I bought a lightweight aluminum travel wheelchair. I switched to a backpack carry on bag. So I pushed her in the wheelchair, towed her 21" swivel wheel Travel Pro ultralight bag and had my bag on my back.

We went to the front of every security line and were first into the airplanes. We also got priority seating in the plane for free. Every restaurant we went in, we were the first seated.

My wife loved being treated so well that she wants to keep using the wheelchair on future trips. But she's since had a knee replacement and walking so well now.
You know what this means @bamaman. Business Class!
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:02 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
I have travelled many, many times to a certain Caribbean country (that I will not name as I have no desire to stereotype). On every flight to or from that country, a large number of passengers - easily identifiable as its citizens by their language, accent and physical characteristics - have been wheeled up to the head of the queue by airline staff. Then once the flight landed they all miraculously became able-bodied and hustled off the aircraft as fast as possible, with no further assistance needed!
+1
We must have been in the same Country, lady wheeled up to the waiting area by an airline porter. Later she got up and walked 500 steps to get a coffee, and of course stood up to get on the plane first when it started boarding.
Ones who didn't have wheelchairs, had canes but had no trouble walking around to look out the windows.
I told DW, next time we fly to bring some canes
Old 12-14-2018, 08:50 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

I always try to have a second pair of shoes. Had an experience one time where my shoes got soaked, and I did not have a backup. The insoles and uppers reshaped themselves a bit such that they killed my feet. I hobbled around for a long time. Now, a second pair of shoes will allow me to let one pair dry out if they get soaked. The second pair is usually a light slip-on.
I have done a Europe business trip for two weeks out of a large backpack. That means sending clothes out for laundry a couple times. We are headed to warm weather for 30 days with 2 carry-on size suitcases, plus one backpack and one large purse.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:40 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

We always have one large checked bag (usually very close to weight limit), DW a carryon, me a backpack. This doesn’t get us far without the need to do laundry though. I think we did laundry twice on a 2 week trip to England/Ireland.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:17 AM   #47

DW has to pack a suitcase to bring some gluten free food. Breakfast bars in hotels don't always have fruit, and a tub of yogurt and a cheese stic doesn't cut it. Yes, choice is much better than it was in 1983 when she got diagnosed, but not always available.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:49 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Our next trip is on British Airways and I found out my smaller luggage piece meets the carry-on requirements of 22 x 18 x 10. So we are buying an Eagle Creek 4 wheeler (on sale now) for her as a check it in: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Lsbcal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #49

I am absolutely no help. traveling with me is akin to traveling on Cleopatra's barge. Nope I'm not even trying to go to Europe for two weeks with 2 pairs of
serviceable shoes.
I factor in the extra cost into my budget. that's why God invented porters. lol. I'm heading to Greece next year for a week. I'll take a carryon and check a 24 incher
Old 12-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Regarding luggage size, yesterday I brought in one of our old Rick Steves pieces to compare it with some other ones at a local luggage store. It is probably 15 to 20 years old and a two wheeler. I believe it was considered to be quite the thing back then before airlines started charging for checking in luggage and before carry-on sizing rules shrunk.

Anyway that old RS piece had almost as much room as the 26 inch Eagle Creek 4 wheeler that we are buying. Now the RS site has very small pieces that are considered trendy by the travel lite set. I like the travel lite idea but sometimes it seems a bit impractical. And neither of us can handle a back pack. To each his own.
Lsbcal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:27 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

If my wife brags about how well her new knee is working, she's going to be out of the wheelchair. We just picked up May, 2019 tickets last night from BNA to Madrid and CDG to BNA for $700 round trip--far less than $1700 the legacy carriers want.

Since 7 year old Brynley is traveling with us, I can see myself rolling her carry on bag some. I think I'll stick with my 21" backpack carryon one more trip at least. And my wife can handle her own bag completely.

It's hard to believe the Parisians continue to demonstrate like they have. Demonstrations are hard work, and that's not like them. Who's ever seen the French even work more than 32 hours per week? We're hoping things will cool down.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:28 AM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

I stopped traveling with only a carry-on after I started traveling with 2 camera bodies and 4 lenses. Carry-on is still a travel backpack. My choice of checked bag depends on the climate. I usually travel for about 6 weeks in both spring and fall, so clothes for the cold and wet dictate which suitcase I bring. Most times it's a carry-on wheelie.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:20 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

The only right answer to this is to do what is best for you. So many different tastes, requirements, and physical abilities. Let alone itineraries and modes of transport, and levels of comfort.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:29 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I tend to go for 2 weeks or more (compared to a lot of 1-week international trips when working, to maximize vacation time).

Unless I want to hand wash clothes often in the hotel room, I pack enough to last about a week and plan to get laundry done (or worst case, spend a couple of hours at a laundromat).

Also take a lot of electronics gear, which has to go in the carry on and in the personal items allotment, which is a camera case.

So I've been going with one large checked bag, about 28 inches, an international carryon and the camera case.

I overpack, the rationale being that I don't want to spend time hunting down something. But I won't take a second checked bag because I'm usually transiting in rental cars, trains, ferries, etc.

And often have to drag along this luggage for some distances. For instance, for an upcoming trip to NZ, I'm going to take the inter island ferry and the town of Picton doesn't have regular taxi service but I'm a kilometer away from the ferry port and the motel I booked there for a couple of nights. So I will probably have to drag my luggage through and it's a 3-week trip so I can't downsize on the luggage either.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:35 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

You have to be careful about cabin luggage size on discount airlines. There's a list here. The weight limit is usually 8kg, although I haven't seen scales at most gates.

We planned for Norwegian and EasyJet, which we had flown before, and have 25cm thickness limits. Most cabin luggage is no thicker than that. Then we found ourselves booked on Flybe, and most luggage is thicker than their 20 cm limit. I decided to check our 25cm bag for something like £25 because the at-the-gate checking fee was much higher. Of course, they didn't check anyone.

Friends flew Vueling, also 20 cm, from CPH to Orly and they DID check. That one cost €100 at the gate, which was probably twice the airfare.

DW and I travel to Europe most summers for about 4 months. We each take a 24-inch rollaround, which we check on airlines; the 20-inch usually-carryon; and a backpack (not very full) each. We pet-sit, which means we have regular laundry facilities, although I can laundromat-wash clothes in four languages. The checkables have about 4 sets of underwear and socks, four shirts, a pair of shorts and swimsuit, plus our rainjackets, toiletries and of course craft materials. We take less every year, and these bags stay under 20 kg. Barely. As we approach 70 years, we still sling these up the steps of railway coaches in a reasonably quick and graceful manner, although I notice that we're getting offers of help more frequently.

The 20-inch contains electronics, vitamins (four months worth brought from home), first-aid medicine and bandages and travel hacks (trash bags, zip-ties, bungee cords, and a few other things from our experience-driven list of travel essentials), and maybe a few food favorites that are hard to find. It's about 12 kg.
isisdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:20 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

We take 2 month trips. We take 1 checked bag and two carry-ons. I've never found it that much of a hassle. The key is knowing when to cart your baggage along and when to leave it somewhere.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:37 PM   #57

I think I broke my 20" carryon on my Indonesia cruise .... packed 3 pair of shoes & wine and now I'm having trouble with raising and lowering handle. There was plenty of room but heavier than normal. Looking into a replacement

Keep it bc I like the size even though I check it now. I'm not putting a 25 lb suitcase overhead
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:46 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I just remember my poor father having to deal with my mother's 45 pound huge suitcase when they took guided tours with 22 of their best friends in an international travel club.

If my mother was able to change her ways of packing, they might have been able to travel into their mid to late 80's instead of stopping in their late 70's.

But Mom sure dressed stylish when traveling. And my wife with her 21" rolling bag also dresses very well, but in colors that compliment each other.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:58 PM   #59

Quote:
21" rolling bag also dresses very well, but in colors that compliment each other.
Exactly. I concentrate on 2 coordinating colors & separates. Can go 2 weeks without repeating a complete outfit.
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:53 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

SNIP

It's hard to believe the Parisians continue to demonstrate like they have. Demonstrations are hard work, and that's not like them. Who's ever seen the French even work more than 32 hours per week? We're hoping things will cool down.

Off topic: According to the latest OECD data measuring GDP per hour worked, the French are more productive than US workers (as are virtually all of Europe's workers including, wait for it, Italy). For sure, GDP per hour is not the best measure of overall economic health, but the idea that the French or European worker is lazy unlike all of us hard working Americans just isn't accurate. https://data.oecd.org/lprdty/gdp-per...ndicator-chart

On topic: I travel to Europe for up to six weeks with a regular backpack and a carry on. I use packing folders and, if I am really pressed for space, I pack a "bundle." It cuts down a lot on wrinkles and optimizes every inch. Often I stay in one place for two to four weeks, and either rent apartments with a washer or use a laundromat (which is always a source of amusement!). As others have said, you have to figure out how you want to travel. If there is someone to handle your luggage or you are just going to one place, it probably doesn't matter so much. But if you are taking trains, buses and going up and down steps and cobblestone streets, my view is that lighter is better.

Enjoy the trip! BR
bigreader is offline   Reply With Quote