March 2022 in a warmer climate

OP it's been six months have your decided where to go?

You don't need a car in Key West Florida. I think they have some pretty good Airbnb options. There are quite a few Facebook BBs with Key West info. That is where I would love to go!

I'm also curious where OP decided to go. I am pretty sure they have plenty of options, considering they sound very low-maintenance and happy with hanging out by the pool of an extended stay hotel in moderate weather. But I'll go with the public transit angle since it was mentioned.

Atlanta comes to mind. Marta is pretty decent for getting you to places of interest in downtown/midtown/buckhead, and I think staying in a walkable neighborhood outside the core like downtown Decatur or Brookhaven would be nice and still give you easy access to the core neighborhoods via train. Not sure if ATL crime is a bit too risky for small-town MN frame of reference.

Miami also has decent transportation though housing options will be pricey anywhere that links to the metrorail or trirail.

Dallas is worth a look. Should be pretty moderate weather-wise and its transit is very underrated. It doesn't even get very good ridership, but its service is quite good as well as connectivity to useful neighborhoods.

Probably too cold but maybe NOVA...out in the burbs you can avoid most crowds while still being close to a transit station for WMATA.

Charleston and Savannah may not have a lot of transit but they don't need it if you stay walking distance to the historic centers. Greenville, SC or Asheville, NC could also be intriguing. Again, finding reasonable housing is the biggest question mark.

I know these are all pretty big cities and in some cases tourist destinations which the OP wasn't super keen on. The other direction I'd go is college towns, of which there are many and they typically offer serviceable transit around the campuses.
Gainesville, FL, Tallahassee, FL, and Athens, GA, are a few that I'm familiar with. Obviously dozens of other possibilities across the southern US.

If OP can take the occasional ride share to alleviate any need for public transit then this opens up many many more small/medium towns. I also definitely support the suggestions for Airbnb/vrbo etc over extended stay hotels, though the latter is more likely to have a pool.

Following this thread because I am interested in destinations that don’t require a car or driving. I find that I like driving less and less each year.

I would stick with the Carolina’s.
Beautiful area and it doesn’t have the disastrous drought issues of the Colorado river basin.

I live in Tucson and think it would be a good choice for the OP - though it'd be important to book something right away. I'd strongly recommend looking for a casita on AirBnB rather than an extended stay hotel room as you're far more likely to find a place located in or near the University/4th Avenue or other neighborhoods that have easy public transportation and/or walking access to downtown (these include Menlo Park, Armory Park, Sam Hughes and Barrio Viejo).

Have a look at prospective places proximity to the downtown street car. It runs constantly and is a much better choice than our spotty bus service here. There are also city-supplied rental bikes in these areas. The best restaurant and bar-hopping in the city is on 4th Avenue and downtown on Congress and there's also the wonderful specialty grocery/bakery/pizzeria Time Market on University - a good enough place that I often encourage visiting friends to look for rentals according to how long it would take to walk to it.

Outside of these few areas Tucson is sprawling and quite car-dependent and of course without a car you won't be spending much time on our wonderful hiking trails but there's always Uber and Lyft if you just want to go occasionally. March and April are two of the best months of the year here.

I live in Tucson and think it would be a good choice for the OP - though it'd be important to book something right away. I'd strongly recommend looking for a casita on AirBnB rather than an extended stay hotel room as you're far more likely to find a place located in or near the University/4th Avenue or other neighborhoods that have easy public transportation and/or walking access to downtown (these include Menlo Park, Armory Park, Sam Hughes and Barrio Viejo).

Have a look at prospective places proximity to the downtown street car. It runs constantly and is a much better choice than our spotty bus service here. There are also city-supplied rental bikes in these areas. The best restaurant and bar-hopping in the city is on 4th Avenue and downtown on Congress and there's also the wonderful specialty grocery/bakery/pizzeria Time Market on University - a good enough place that I often encourage visiting friends to look for rentals according to how long it would take to walk to it.

Outside of these few areas Tucson is sprawling and quite car-dependent and of course without a car you won't be spending much time on our wonderful hiking trails but there's always Uber and Lyft if you just want to go occasionally. March and April are two of the best months of the year here.

I’m in Tuscon now and I think it would be a very nice destination. Just not sure if it’s really warm in March?

I’m in Tuscon now and I think it would be a very nice destination. Just not sure if it’s really warm in March?

Average high 76, low 48. Not tropical but we suffer through it. :)

If you are going in late March and don't want a Spring Break venue, and don't want to rent a car because you want to rely on public transportation, and prefer a less tourist location then the great majority of Florida would not be what you are looking for.

Cheers!

+1 for Atlanta. We did a road trip in Feb-March 2019, it was a Asheville - Atlanta - Nashville trip for us. We stayed in Midtown Atlanta just south of Piedmont Park, which was walkable to the essentials. The car didn't move much once we were situated in Atlanta. I can't help you with MARTA and other public transportation... because we had brought bikes. Spent our time walking the Dog at Piedmont Park and some cycling along a new Greenway that was in the area.

Back
Top Bottom