Join Early Retirement Today

Marine museum
Old 10-07-2007, 02:03 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Marine museum

If anyone is traveling through Northern Virginia, there's a new Marine Corps Museum on I-95 outside of Quantico, 25 miles south of DC. Went there today, expecting a small nondescript museum. I was impressed with its size, its layout, its historical accuracy, and the audio-visual dioramas. Totally free by the way, except for the restaurant which is a bit pricey ($8 sandwiches). Also has a beer pub inside, after the original pub in Philadelphia that served as the first Marine recruiting spot. When you think about it, makes a lot of sense.

The Khe Sanh, Vietnam, experience is especially realistic, you walk through the body of a CH-46 helicopter into a realistic representation of the hot landing zone, even heated up so one feels the heat of the sun as well as the heat of battle. There's also a cooled down exhibit of the battle at Chosin Pass in the Korean highlands where the wind chill was about 50 below during the battle.

It's a great tribute to the Marine Corps and its traditions. It's also great for Air Force recruiting

The National Museum of the Marine Corps and Heritage Center
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToRetire View Post
... you walk through the body of a CH-46 helicopter ...

I would like to visit the museum. The CH-46 is still in service... I have flown on them many times. Semper Fi.

Thanks for the information.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:49 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I remember that got quite a writeup for its innovative exhibit designs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
I would like to visit the museum. The CH-46 is still in service... I have flown on them many times. Semper Fi.
Better go see it quick before the Army buys the fuselage for spare parts...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
There's a lot of military history there. I was impressed by the story of the Inchon Marine landing that led to the recapture of Seoul in the Korean War. I knew that was a turning point in the war, but I didn't realize how risky it was. The entrance to the harbor is narrow, and there's no beaches, just seawalls with a 30 foot tidal range. The Navy ships had to squeeze in there, drop off the marines who ran the landing craft right up to the seawalls, turn about, and get out of there in a couple of hours before the tide ran out. The Marines then had to fight their way through fortified positions to get to Seoul. It was a small version of D Day. MacArthur was pretty lonely when he argued with the other commanders this was a good idea. When he was told there would be no possibility of surprise, he replied that he would surprise the enemy just because of that, the enemy would never think he would land Marines in a position with so little chance of surprise. Mmm...

Always thought highly of the Marine Corps but after visiting that museum I think of them even a little higher. Semper fi!
Old 10-07-2007, 06:43 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

On my list of places to visit the next time we visit the 'rents. The trick is to avoid the mixing bowl at rush hour.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I remember that got quite a writeup for its innovative exhibit designs.
This was in today's Quantico paper. I think they're on to you

Morph
Old 10-07-2007, 10:17 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToRetire View Post
This was in today's Quantico paper. I think they're on to you

Morph
Excellent, thanks!

A buddy of mine is retiring after 24 years that included a tour as a combat photographer with a Marine unit. I think he'll appreciate a framed copy of this...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote