Martha's Vineyard

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Found a casual website that describes our old home in Vineyard Haven, Martha's vineyard,Mass. The first pictures of a house is the 1720 House, that we rented from 1960 to 1963. Pictures of Maine Street show what used to be a Montgomery Ward Catalog store... the first MW store that i managed.

I know I posted this before, but the house... 1720 house was listed @ #1.4M
a year ago... we could have bought for $30,000. Rent it today, for a full week in August for only $8400.00.

https://mytravelnotions.com/2017/08/25/marthas-vineyard-so-much-more-than-its-hoity-toity-image/

toity-toitly indeed.! :rolleyes:

For anyone looking for a wonderful, historical place to visit, I'd surely recommend the Vineyard... a trip through the past ...to today's hangout for celebrities, millionaires artist and politicians.

Did I mention before, that the house had two secret rooms, used as part of the underground railroad in the 1700's?

We, jeanie and I are in the process of a trip down memory lane.

Found a casual website that describes our old home in Vineyard Haven, Martha's vineyard,Mass. The first pictures of a house is the 1720 House, that we rented from 1960 to 1963. Pictures of Maine Street show what used to be a Montgomery Ward Catalog store... the first MW store that i managed.

I know I posted this before, but the house... 1720 house was listed @ #1.4M
a year ago... we could have bought for $30,000. Rent it today, for a full week in August for only $8400.00.

https://mytravelnotions.com/2017/08/25/marthas-vineyard-so-much-more-than-its-hoity-toity-image/

toity-toitly indeed.! :rolleyes:

For anyone looking for a wonderful, historical place to visit, I'd surely recommend the Vineyard... a trip through the past ...to today's hangout for celebrities, millionaires artist and politicians.

Did I mention before, that the house had two secret rooms, used as part of the underground railroad in the 1700's?

We, jeanie and I are in the process of a trip down memory lane.
Interersting, but, who the heck was Martha?

If you grew up in Mass., it was just The Vineyard.

First time I went was about 1971. Church group trip. Teenagers and some VERY tired chaperones. Stayed in a youth hostel. Biked all over the island (and got the sunburn to prove it). Gay Head was beautiful (I think they call it something different now). The clay cliffs stretching up from the water.

I remember a spot on one road near the water that was covered in clam shells and seagull poop. Apparently the gulls had learned to take the clams up high, drop them on the road, then come down to eat them.

Thanks for the blast from the past.

Interersting, but, who the heck was Martha?

From Wikipedia:

A smaller island to the south was named "Martha's Vineyard" by the English explorer Bartholomew Gosnold, who sailed to the island in 1602. The name was later transferred to the main island. It is the eighth-oldest surviving English place-name in the United States.[11] The island's namesake is not definitively known, but it is thought that the island was named after Gosnold's mother-in-law or his daughter, both named Martha.

omni

Back
Top Bottom