Join Early Retirement Today

Medical and evacuation insurance advice/suggestions needed
Old 06-30-2021, 01:38 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Medical and evacuation insurance advice/suggestions needed

Seeking advice.

I did try searching the forum...

Looking for coverage for two people who will be driving around Alaska in a van sight-seeing/camping for a couple of weeks. Actually the sight-seeing & travel is just over a week. The other week is taken up with doing volunteer construction/handyman work in one place. No health issues, so only guarding against something like a freak accident.

One person has Medicare and Medigap. The other has CareFirst with a $2400 deductible (co-pays along the way).

Guessing the policies should have helicopter rescue/transport to needed medical expertise.

What do you advise?

Thank you in advance!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2021, 07:45 PM   #2

I buy Nationwide's annual Travel Pro Plan upgraded to Deluxe:

https://travel.nationwide.com/

Emergency Medical expenses:

$20,000 per person/per trip

Emergency Medical evacuation
/ repatriation:

$250,000 per person/per trip
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 11:33 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Unless you're going to be mountain climbing or hiking hazardous mountain trails, I wouldn't worry about evacuation insurance or additional medical coverage.

Driving around in a van, you're not necessarily going to be in a dangerous situation. And since you're going to be in the U.S., your health insurance will be valid.

In reality, there are very, very few times that an injured or ill person cannot fly home commerical--even if it requires flying in the first class cabin.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:24 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Trust me take the insurance. We were in Alaska in 2019 and I slipped and fell down a wooden stairs breaking my shoulder. We were in Wasilla and they had a local hospital. 100% of my expenses were covered. If this happened in Denali the nearest hospital is in Fairbanks, about 3 hours away. I would have had to be airlifted which is costly.

Enjoy your trip, you'll love Alaska!
DektolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DektolMan View Post
Trust me take the insurance. We were in Alaska in 2019 and I slipped and fell down a wooden stairs breaking my shoulder. We were in Wasilla and they had a local hospital. 100% of my expenses were covered. If this happened in Denali the nearest hospital is in Fairbanks, about 3 hours away. I would have had to be airlifted which is costly.
Similar thing. We were with a small group in the middle of Denali when one of us had his back go out on him, suddenly and unexpectedly. He needed a helicopter to evacuate him to Anchorage. Fortunately, he had evacuation insurance that paid for it, because that would have been several tens of thousands of dollars otherwise.

Situations like that are extremely rare, but they can happen. I have similar insurance and it only costs a few hundred dollars a year. Good for peace of mind.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DektolMan View Post

Enjoy your trip, you'll love Alaska!
Which insurance are you suggesting? For your shoulder, didn't your standard medical insurance cover it since it was an emergency situation?

I do understand about what it could have cost you to be airlifted without evacuation coverage, however.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:11 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
Which insurance are you suggesting? For your shoulder, didn't your standard medical insurance cover it since it was an emergency situation?

I do understand about what it could have cost you to be airlifted without evacuation coverage, however.

I was on the Affordable Care Act coverage with a $6000 deductible. Also I was out of network. My trip insurance reimbursed me around $3,500. Also the reimbursed me for the day I missed part of our tour. I will never travel without trip insurance again.
DektolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:32 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

(We do not climb mountains, so that's a difference.) Our habit is to buy evacuation insurance when we travel to countries where the health care infrastructure might be iffy. Ethiopia and Myanmar, for example, but not Norway or Greece. Although footing the cost would be a hurt, my main reason is to have the insurer's organization as a resource for making choices and for making arrangements.

For Alaska and our fairly ordinary way of traveling, I would not spend the money. Your volunteer construction organization should have coverage for you, too, so belts and suspenders during that portion. Check. Stay off of roofs.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:59 PM   #9

Thanks for the comments.

One person suggested Nationwide.

Any other companies to check?
Old 07-01-2021, 04:04 PM   #10

We use MASA for evacuation insurance.

You can look at their website here: MASA Assist

You can also get their coverage at a substantial discount by belonging to one of a number of organizations (shown on their site).

There are other similar companies but we've been happy with MASA for a number of years.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:15 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
... Any other companies to check?
Here's a link to a lot of information: https://www.intltravelnews.com/search?query=wirtanen

If that doesn't work for some reason, go to intltravelnews.com and search for "wirtanen" Wayne Wirtenan has written an extensive series on travel insurance for ITN, and it does not appear to be behind their paywall.
Old 07-02-2021, 12:08 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
We are interested in this subject, as we will also be going to Alaska.
Normally we have trip insurance for Europe / etc..

We checked with our BCBS and they only cover LAND ambulances...

When I tried at insuremytrip.com and put in traveling to the USA (Alaska) , it said coverage was not available within the USA. I suppose this is to stop people from not getting ACA coverage and just buy trip insurance for at home.
Old 07-02-2021, 06:52 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

We carry MedJet for evacuation type insurance. I think that is very good to have, especially if you do any international travel. A medical jet from Asia back to the USA can easily run $100k to $200k.
marinauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:29 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

check Allianz. But also, search under trip insurance and you will see threads on this.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:41 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

My Medicare Supplement covers $50,000 in overseas health expenses in an emergency. There is also a 20% co-pay. I have a MedJet policy that covers emergency evacuation to hospital near my home (not just the nearest hospital in the USA). I figure that covers me pretty well.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:55 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

FWIW, anyone buying should be aware that not all the companies offering evacuation "insurance" are actually regulated insurance companies. If you see words like "membership" and the company carefully avoids using the word "insurance" that is a key. Not that a non-insurance company is necessarily bad, but with that ilk you do not have the protections that come with a real insurance company.

Lately we have been using Travelex Insurance, primarily because of their huge international presence, though the fact that they are an actual insurance company is a plus, too. https://www.travelexinsurance.com/ We have never had a claim, so we really cannot say whether we are happy with the company or not. We do expect to be happy.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:04 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
FWIW, anyone buying should be aware that not all the companies offering evacuation "insurance" are actually regulated insurance companies. If you see words like "membership" and the company carefully avoids using the word "insurance" that is a key. Not that a non-insurance company is necessarily bad, but with that ilk you do not have the protections that come with a real insurance company.

Lately we have been using Travelex Insurance, primarily because of their huge international presence, though the fact that they are an actual insurance company is a plus, too. https://www.travelexinsurance.com/ We have never had a claim, so we really cannot say whether we are happy with the company or not. We do expect to be happy.
Just so other folks know, I called them after checking the website. They offer only per trip insurance, and not year long multi-trip insurance.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:43 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
I buy Nationwide's annual Travel Pro Plan upgraded to Deluxe:

https://travel.nationwide.com/

Emergency Medical expenses:

$20,000 per person/per trip

Emergency Medical evacuation
/ repatriation:

$250,000 per person/per trip
For year long multi-trip coverage.
This one looks good except in reading the details of medical evacuation it doesn't seem to cover the situation of hurt out in the wilds of Alaska. Only covers air transport after being in a hospital to another hospital.

"
EMERGENCY EVACUATION
The Company will pay benefits for Covered Expenses incurred, up to the Maximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage, if an Accidental Injury or Sickness commencing during the course of the Trip results in Your or a Traveling Companion’s necessary Emergency Evacuation. An Emergency Evacuation must be ordered by a Physician who certifies that the severity of Your, or a Traveling Companion’s, Accidental Injury or Sickness warrants Your, or a Traveling Companion’s, Emergency Evacuation.
Emergency Evacuation means:
(a) Your, or the Traveling Companion’s, medical condition warrants immediate Transportation from the hospital where You, or the Traveling Companion, are first taken when injured or sick to the nearest Hospital where appropriate medical treatment can be obtained;
(b) after being treated at a local Hospital, Your, or the Traveling Companion’s, medical condition warrants Transportation to the United States where You, or the Traveling Companion, resides to obtain further medical treatment or to recover; or
(c) both (a) and (b), above......"
Old 07-02-2021, 09:54 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

AAA towing Premier Membership ($119/yr) includes Emergency medical transportation coverage up to $25,000.

List of other benefits (200 mi towing, fuel delivery, and various discounts):

https://mwg.aaa.com/membership/aaa-premier
FIREd_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 10:28 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

For our Alaska trip, I opted to go with a single trip coverage by Berkshire Hathaway Travel Protection.
It offered evacuation from where injured vs from a hospital, so would apply if a bear eats my leg in Alaska.

It was a couple of dollars cheaper than the insurance the AA site persuaded DW to buy, but this covers a lot more issues than just the plane ride.
DW phoned and got a refund on the impulse travel insurance.