Mexico traffic fines -- I finally get nailed

pedorrero

Recycles dryer sheets
Just got back from my 2nd trip to Mexico (by car.) This time, I was stopped twice for traffic offenses, both in (or near) Mexico City.

#1: I was apparently driving in a bus-only lane. The motorcycle cop pulled me over, and told me the fine was about 1800 pesos. I admitted my wrong-doing, and offered to follow him to the office to pay the fine. He relented, let me go, because I was a foreigner.

#2: (leaving D.F.) I got busted in Mexico (state) for the "today don't drive" confusing rules. I was "somewhat" aware of these, but not 100% sure how they applied. I was driving a foreign plates car between 0500 and 1100 hours -- a violation. So here's the fine/bribe summary:

Motorcycle cop (who pulled me over), offered to take 1800 pesos, or else I had to go to the boss. Since no offer was made to negotiate a lower rate, or I missed a cue, I followed him to the police station. There, I met a desk cop, who explained if I wanted to pay the offical fine, I'd have to wait until the next day (I think they'd impound the plates or car). Alternately, I could pay him 1500 pesos, and he'd give me a permit that would get me out of any trouble for rest of the day. Since his fine would save me being stuck another 24 hours in the city, paying hotel and taxi, etc. I took his price.

I guess the point is, they are going to get you one way or another! As before, I note that I was guilty in both cases. It's just that money talks down in Mexico. Brinksmanship: I guess that, if I had time and or patience, the thing to do (per a travel book), is to demand to pay the official fine. Presumably, then the cop doesn't get his bribe. Oh well, chalk it up to another driving lesson for Mexico. After two trips to Mexico and two years of good service, my old but still running Saturn is being sold cheap to a needy friend. It's good to be home...

I've only been let off once out of the numerous times I've been shaken down. I keep a small amount of cash (under $20) in my wallet and always pay on the spot. My feeling is that I don't want to go to the station where there is likely a larger food chain to feed. Actually my permanent solution is to avoid driving in Mexico in general now. Especially since I tend to have to pass through the border towns to get where I want to go.

I got shaken down in Reynosa (on business) to the tune of $100 for allegedly going the wrong way on an unmarked one-way street.

I drive there quite often but never in a car with US plates. I've only had one attempted shake down but the cop was on foot so I just drove away smiling.

Back
Top Bottom