Mobile Passport ve Global Entry

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Yesterday we returned from an international trip. We flew into FLL, which has Mobile Passport. Worried that there would be a long wait due to staffing shortages, I decided to give it a try, even though we also have Global Entry. Sure enough, we breezed through. Global Entry had some folks in line, regular immigration had a moderate queue.

After we collected our luggage I looked and saw lines everywhere except Global Entry so I went there. Wrong choice. The agent asked for our doc, which we didn’t have and sent us down the inspection line. The agent there told us we weren’t entitled to use Global Entry unless we first used it for immigration, then told us the immigration agent didn’t process our entry at all. He took our passports and we sat and waited for about 10 minutes. He returned, gave us back the passports, asked a few questions, and let us go. They were all very nice, friendly, smiles, and helpful, and gave us a bit of advice before letting us go,

He said that Mobile Passport was good for cruise trips, which he called “circular immigration” - where passengers just got on and off in the US and never really left except to “ship around the Caribbean”. He also said an overseas trip to the US was “real immigration”, that Global Passport “cost money” so that’s where they put their focus and energy, and it was “hands down” the best way to enter the US.

Thinking about it, everything he said makes sense, and I’m not sure why I didn’t see that when we were getting ready for our return trip. Lesson learned for me.

Good to know. We’re getting Global Entry, assuming there aren’t any shutdowns during our next trip. We had Pre-Check, but it will be expiring in July. GE seemed like a no-brainer since we’re planning a couple of foreign trips within the next 5 years. I do have Mobile Passport on my phone, but likely will remove it based on your experience.

I’ve used mobile passport coming back into the US through Chicago and Denver and found it very easy and efficient. Both times we jumped ahead of hundreds of others. I will continue to use.

I’ve used mobile passport coming back into the US through Chicago and Denver and found it very easy and efficient. Both times we jumped ahead of hundreds of others. I will continue to use.

+1 We have used mobile passport 3 times, 3 different airports, from Costa Rica, Mexico, and Europe, really worked well for us.

Good to know. We’re getting Global Entry, assuming there aren’t any shutdowns during our next trip. We had Pre-Check, but it will be expiring in July. GE seemed like a no-brainer since we’re planning a couple of foreign trips within the next 5 years. I do have Mobile Passport on my phone, but likely will remove it based on your experience.
When you apply for Global Entry you may want to see where the locations are to apply. There is an interview required in the application process. Not all cities in the USA have interview locations.

When you apply for Global Entry you may want to see where the locations are to apply. There is an interview required in the application process. Not all cities in the USA have interview locations.

If you're within driving range of Canada, it's worthwhile to consider Nexus instead of Global Entry.
  1. It's half the cost ($50 instead of $100) of Global Entry but gives you exactly the same priveleges.
  2. It gets you expedited passage when you fly into Canada from overseas.
  3. It can greatly expedite your passage when crossing the Canada/US border by car. This feature alone once saved us several hours when crossing the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit on a busy day.

The only drawback is the limited number of interview locations.

Heads up to anyone with a fancy credit card with a big annual fee. You probably qualify for free Global Entry/Nexus. Pay for it and they will reimburse you. Chase Sapphire Reserve, Amex Platinum, etc all have this benefit I believe.

Re: Global Entry on arrival - we did our interview at Houston Hobby last fall upon returning from an overseas trip. This took a bit of doing on our part as we had to hunt down a CBP officer that could do our interviews after having cleared passport control.

We will be using GE in a few weeks before our cards expire. Does renewal involve another interview? Anyone been through the renewal process yet?

We will be using GE in a few weeks before our cards expire. Does renewal involve another interview? Anyone been through the renewal process yet?
I have not but rules are renewal process every 5 years and includes interview just like a newbie applying for the first time.

I have not but rules are renewal process every 5 years and includes interview just like a newbie applying for the first time.

That's annoying as we don't live in the USA so I guess we'll kick GE into touch as we don't enter the USA more than once every couple of years these days.

I just looked at our GE cards and while they are still valid the passport number on the back is now wrong as we had to get new passports last year.

I wonder if there is a way to update the GE info with the new passports....

So there is no need for an interview?

From the website:
21. How do I renew my Global Entry membership?

You become eligible to renew your membership one year prior to program expiration. Follow these steps to renew Global Entry membership:

• Log onto the Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) website.

• Select Manage membership - the Trusted Traveler Program Enrollment page will display.

• Select the blue Renew Application button - the Personal Information page will display.

• Use the Application Wizard to change your personal information by selecting the specific category(ies) hyperlinks.

• When complete, select U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler Program List on the Application Wizard - the Trusted Traveler Program List will display.

• Click the box next to each program that you wish to renew.

• Select the enrollment center hyperlink to see a list of available enrollment centers.

• Select Next - the Trusted Traveler Program Application page will display.

• If a FIX Errors hyperlink displays, you must provide the information requested to proceed.

• To continue, select Update to go to the Program Application page.

• On the Program Application page, select Certify at the bottom of the page - the Certification page will display.

• Answer Yes or No to "Do you certify?"

• Select Next. The Final Review: Application Shopping Cart will display.

• Select the box next to Fees. Fees are for application processing and are non-refundable. To agree and proceed, click here. The Home button changes to a Make Payment button.

• Select Make Payment. The online payment page displays.

22. Will I need to be interviewed again when I renew my program membership?

An interview for program membership renewal may not be necessary. Once you submit your renewal, application and fee, check your TTP account periodically for updates on what actions are necessary to complete the renewal process. You will receive an email when your membership status changes.

Same. Can't believe others weren't rapidly downloading the app instead of waiting in the huge line. (Our return was thru Minneapolis)

DW and I recently got Global Entry. We won't be able to test the global part until we travel to Italy in the fall but we are flying to Tucson in a few weeks and Tampa in a few months. GE is supposed to automatically get us TSA Pre-check. We will see.

DW and I recently got Global Entry. We won't be able to test the global part until we travel to Italy in the fall but we are flying to Tucson in a few weeks and Tampa in a few months. GE is supposed to automatically get us TSA Pre-check. We will see.
That's sort of true. It's not automatic, you have to make sure you enter your known traveler number (once) with each airline you fly with. Once that's done you will be good to go.

Right - you need to submit your known traveler number with your airline reservation. After that they should remember it for you at each airline once you enter it at each airline.

Last edited:
+1 We have used mobile passport 3 times, 3 different airports, from Costa Rica, Mexico, and Europe, really worked well for us.
+1 worked very well on Atlanta coming back from Europe. Probably saved 20 min

Right - you need to submit your known traveler number with your airline reservation. After that they should remember it for you at each airline.

You have to put Known Traveler Number in EACH airline's database. They do not share that info.

So there is no need for an interview?

He updated his passport number. Different from the 5 year renewal.

Exactly. MY GE card still shows my old passport number but the online record now has my current passport number.

I don't think we'll bother renewing GE as we don't enter the US often enough these days, and that mobile app looks pretty easy to use. I was pleasantly surprised to find and download it from the Apple.co.uk store. (Some US apps are not available here in the UK and while I have switched between stores several times it is a bit of a pain)

I can get GE free and DW would have to pay.

Is global entry worth the trouble if we only vacation out of the US maybe twice in the 5 year GE period?

I can get GE free and DW would have to pay.

Is global entry worth the trouble if we only vacation out of the US maybe twice in the 5 year GE period?

How much domestic travel will you do during the 5 years? You also get TSA Pre-Check with Global Entry so that might make it worth it. GE is also good for SENTRI and NEXUS lanes when driving back from Mexico and Canada respectively. It's not good for NEXUS lanes going into Canada though.

If GE is free and you don't have to travel out of town for an interview, which was our case, then yes, it's definitely worth it. Otherwise you have to weigh the inconvenience of getting to the interview against the benefits. How is it that only one of you is free though? Our CC and others I've seen will rebate up to 2 GE fees every 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom