Motorhome 2017

UtahSkier

Recycles dryer sheets
2017 rv season has begun. Left SLC a few days ago. Dodged winter storms as we drove around Cheyenne and Denver.

Currently visiting friends in Kansas. On our way to New Orleans and Disneyworld. Then savannah, Charleston, blue ridge mountains and back to slc. 10 weeks of traveling.

Where are you traveling to in 2017?

Last edited:
This year, 2017, I'm going to DC for my brothers graduation. My wife and I are thinking Iceland for 2018.

The thread title was "Motorhome - 2018" before it got corrected: a sign of a retiree who no longer remembers the current date. :)

I make that mistake all the time.

We do mostly short trips - went down to the coast for several days last monthand are headed out today to Fredericksburg for wildflowers, wine tasting, German food, and retail therapy :D

I'm off over Easter. Will be off 4-5 months starting in southern Norway and going north slowly as the country thaws. So perhaps reaching Nordkapp in August if my very lightweight plan holds.

My wife and I are thinking Iceland for 2018.

That's going to be an interesting drive.

Not that it helps much from your end of the sea - but you can take the ferry from Denmark: Smyril Line - Fantastiske naturoplevelser i Nord-Atlanten venter på deg

We are taking a cruise in the Fall from New England to Canada.

I think we need another title change to, Where are you going in your Motorhome in 2017?;)

DW and I are at Magnolia Beach on Matagorda Bay on the Texas Gulf coast in our brand new Thor Challenger motorhome for a couple days of dry camping. Planning to head to Surfside Beach tomorrow for a few more days. Mainly just checking out all of the RV systems and getting used to the rig before heading out to Biloxi and Destin in a few weeks. Also planning to hit two family reunions in back to back weeks in Illinois and Michigan in July. Hoping to get some good use from the RV over the next few years, including trips to Key West and the Wine Country.

Waiting at a friend's lake house for my next RV to be delivered this weekend - bought a new Phoenix Cruiser. I just sold the FL condo so the RV will be home for a while. Current plan is to spend the summer traveling the west again as there is lots more to see with new hiking trails calling.

My pup has become an old guy (turned 14 about 6 weeks ago) so not sure how much time he has remaining but right now he still seems happy to be along for the ride. He can no longer go on long hikes with me but still wants to go so we will do shorter hikes as long as he continues to motor along.

2nd half of my season starts today. The theme for this trip is mountain biking and wine tours. Leaving SLC and traveling to Idaho, Montana, Washington, Oregon, and California. Plan to be on the road for 8 weeks.

One week trip to Brunswick, GA, back home for two weeks and then a trip to Pensacola NAS for a two week trip. Our class A Winnebago has served us well and hope the good luck continues. This time of the year is great for glamping.

We stayed at Navarre Beach (near Pensacola) last April. Watched the Blue Angels practice twice! Once from Fort Pickens across the bay and once from the bleachers right on the runway.

Recommended!

Attachments

• DSC_0741 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_0741 - Copy.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 50
We are trying out RVing for the first time next month. I am semi-RE and DW is RE so we are looking to see if this could be part of our full RE lifestyle.

We're only renting for a week, mainly because rentals are so damn expensive and because it is a dry run anyway. We're renting a Winnebago View 24' and pick it up September 15. We will be going on a leaf viewing tour of central and northern Ontario. Starting in the Toronto area, then heading up to Huntsville, North Bay, Sudbury and then Manitoulin Island. Going to take the ChiCheemaun ferry over to Tobermory and then back to Toronto.

A hard part has been choosing where to stop every night. Most RV parks seem like seasonal places and we don't like the looks of the "parking lot" style places. So, we're mostly using provincial parks and a few private ones so that we can get nice, private camping spots. Will be interesting to see if we like it.

One week trip to Brunswick, GA, back home for two weeks and then a trip to Pensacola NAS for a two week trip. Our class A Winnebago has served us well and hope the good luck continues. This time of the year is great for glamping.

Where do you stay in the Brunswick area ? We spend a couple of weeks every winter on St. Simons and like the area very much.

No RV, but been on Caribbean cruise, & trips to Yosemite, Quebec, Myrtle Beach, Starved Rock State (IL) park, Hocking Hills State (OH) park, and Airventure in Oshkosh. Later to southern Utah for the national parks there.

We are trying out RVing for the first time next month. I am semi-RE and DW is RE so we are looking to see if this could be part of our full RE lifestyle.

We're only renting for a week, mainly because rentals are so damn expensive and because it is a dry run anyway. We're renting a Winnebago View 24' and pick it up September 15.

DW and I have talked about the possibility of renting an RV as a way to see if we'd like it or not as well. Are you renting from a company or directly from an individual? Please post your experiences and what you learn/decide. Thanks.

Currently RV'ing in N California with our newly retired best friends in matching rigs. This is their first point-to-point-to-point RV trip, and we are enjoying showing them the ropes. We started in Point Reyes National Seashore where we left the rigs for three nights while we backpacked through the park. Since then we've visited Olema and Point Reyes, Sonoma, Healdsburg, Napa, and Santa Cruz. This is a short one for us at just two weeks, but we are in the midst or remodeling our new home and don't wish to be away any longer this summer.

Next summer, however, we are planning a six week RV trip through Utah and Colorado. Back to normal in other words!

Last edited:
A hard part has been choosing where to stop every night. Most RV parks seem like seasonal places and we don't like the looks of the "parking lot" style places. So, we're mostly using provincial parks and a few private ones so that we can get nice, private camping spots. Will be interesting to see if we like it.

Good plan to try it out this way - we love RVing but it's not for everyone. You are smart to focus on public/government parks rather than private RV parks if you are looking for a more rustic experience. We love Corps of Engineers parks which are plentiful in some areas of the country but rare in others. Also there are a surprising number of town/city parks - most quite small but charming and often very inexpensive. Enjoy your trip!

Good plan to try it out this way - we love RVing but it's not for everyone. You are smart to focus on public/government parks rather than private RV parks if you are looking for a more rustic experience. We love Corps of Engineers parks which are plentiful in some areas of the country but rare in others. Also there are a surprising number of town/city parks - most quite small but charming and often very inexpensive. Enjoy your trip!

Some states, such as Oregon and Arizona, have beautiful and well run public campgrounds, very often including hookups. Some, such as California I am sorry to say, do not. As a native Californian it breaks my heart to see so many of our most scenic parks become literal eyesores from lack of funding.

I use RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks to do much of my campground/RV park research. It's a good site with what appear to be straightforward reviews.

DW and I bought a Gulfstream Conquest 30' in Jan of this year (class C). We did a 9 week trip from here in CA to upstate NY to visit my Mom - took the Northern route there and then up to Maine, then down the east coast stopping at several campgrounds along the way. We loved the KOA in Myrtle Beach (one block from the ocean and boardwalk) Then to eastern Tenn to visit friends, up to Kentucky, on to AR for a mini family reunion, off to NM for a week long green chili fix continued to San Diego and worked our way up the coast slowly, stopping where ever....
Not having solid plans (other than having to be in AR the last week in June) made this trip so much fun and relaxing. If we found a place we liked a lot we would stay for days. But because of this we did have to drive 12 hours one day to get to the reunion on time -- worth it :cool:

We are going out again in mid Oct - Death Valley and then Rt 66 in AZ

DW and I have talked about the possibility of renting an RV as a way to see if we'd like it or not as well. Are you renting from a company or directly from an individual? Please post your experiences and what you learn/decide. Thanks.

We ended up renting from a company. We wanted a smaller European sized RV since there is only two of us, it is easier to drive and somewhat cheaper on fuel. Didn't get the one we wanted (since I procrastinated) but did get the next size up.

There is a private RV rental website that people recommended but when we went on it to look, the choices up here in Canadastan weren't plentiful and people wanted almost as much to rent their "well used" private vehicles as the rental companies wanted for newer models anyway, so we decided to make it easy on ourselves this first time. Will definitely post a trip report of sorts.

Thanks. Time will tell. I just got an email today from a lighthouse we were planning to stay at that said they are going to be closing the campsite 3 days before we get there !! :facepalm:

So once we hit Manitoulin Island I am trying to convince DW to boondock for a couple of days. It is a very sparsely populated island anyway and in late September I think it should be fine. Actually more excited about that than any of the other places we're planning to stay... lol

Based on the thread title, I thought you bought a 2017 motor home. I was waiting to see some monster thing with slides and the works.

Did not do an annual RV trip this year, as we went to Europe for 6 weeks.

But recently, thought about taking the RV out for a month-long trip in fall. Was thinking about going to the gulf coast to eat some seafood, but with the aftermath of Harvey, that is out.

Where to go?

My truck is here next week, and I am purchasing a fifth wheel in the next few months. I have already been making offers.

I did reserve two months at a RV park in Labelle, FL. It should be a great escape from the MN winter!

Back
Top Bottom