Mule trip pics

Fireup2020

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Yosemite Packmule trip pics

Well, here are a few pics...with one more post with a couple more to come. The scenery was fabulous! Only 1 shower (lack of water in the High Camps) during the trip! Enjoy!

#1 - We have mules!
#2 - Scenic view
#3 - Camp (all camps had these canvas cabins with woodstoves)
#4 - Inside cabins - typically had 3-6 "beds"
#5 - Through the woods and across streams on our mules :)

Attachments

• wehavemules.jpg
    wehavemules.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 18
  • scenic.jpg
    scenic.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 9
  • camp.jpg
    camp.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 7
  • insidecanvascabins.jpg
    insidecanvascabins.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 12
  • woodsmules.jpg
    woodsmules.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
5 more - this is it :) Recommend this trip for a once in a lifetime experience!

#1a - Scenic View
#2a - Scenic View
#3a - Marmot
#4a - The last supper (we are FILTHY at this point!)
#5a - Last day...back to base camp....

Attachments

• scenic2.jpg
    scenic2.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 7
  • scenic3.jpg
    scenic3.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 4
  • marmot.jpg
    marmot.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 5
  • lastsupper.jpg
    lastsupper.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 9
  • lastday.jpg
    lastday.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 5
Great pictures, thanks. Where was it? Was the water too cold for a dip?

Beautiful! Could the trip be done on a bicycle instead?

Yosemite National Park High Sierra Camps Accommodation Yosemite National Park Lodging Review

http://www.yosemitefun.com/tarheel/images/Copy_of_Copy_of_tuolmap_2.jpg

First night Tuolomne Meadows, second Sunrise, third Merced Lake, then on (up) to Vogelsang, and back to Tuolomne Meadows.

We were the only mule trip on our circut at the time. The rest were backpackers - and each camp was booked solid. Only heard a bear one night. The Vogelsang crew had named their visiting bear Chico - but we missed him - probably not a bad thing...and no one ended up missing while we were there. (whew!)

Sam, I don't believe the 4,000 feet up from Merced to Vogelsang would work on a bike, and bikes are not allowed in Yosemite.

Al, did not see a soul in a bathing suit - splashing feet in water walking across rivers was ok, but a bit chilly for full dip!

We were the only mule trip on our circut at the time. The rest were backpackers - and each camp was booked solid. Only heard a bear one night. The Vogelsang crew had named their visiting bear Chico - but we missed him - probably not a bad thing...and no one ended up missing while we were there. (whew!)

Sam, I don't believe the 4,000 feet up from Merced to Vogelsang would work on a bike, and bikes are not allowed in Yosemite.

Al, did not see a soul in a bathing suit - splashing feet in water walking across rivers was ok, but a bit chilly for full dip!

It's beautiful country, is it not? And you caught an amazing year for no mosquitoes (which also means it's rather dry - the snowpack this last year was the least in a very long time).

With this dry of a season, many of the alpine lake feeder streams have dried up or are running at a trickle. Without additional cold water entering the lakes, they aren't too cold by late August. And it's amazingly refreshing to go for a quick swim after a few days on the trail (especially with dust being kicked up by stock).

What a trip! My backside would be awfully sore, but such a trip would just be glorious! Thanks for the great pictures!
TG

Martha,

My parents put us in the lottery last year. Sounds like there is an annual lottery for all the high country camps. Some folks we met had snuck in last minute due to cancellations, but not all that common.

WOW! Just WOW!

Thanks for the pictures. Just SPECTACULAR!

Bicycles are not allowed in national parks except on established roads.

Thanks for the info. Kind of counter-intuitive though. Bicycles don't damage the landscape anymore than walking. Much less than mules, one would think.

Bicycles don't damage the landscape, bicyclists do.

Great pictures ! Are the mules easy to ride ?

My city slicker SIL (featured in the cabin photo) managed to have no problems "riding" her mule. Mules are [-]fatter[/-] broader than horses, but we managed with no issues! Mom looked like a little kid on her mule! LOL My mule, Slick, was small, but mighty and I trusted her and had no problems going up or down (BF had a more stubborn mule who had little desire to head down the steep switchbacks)

Hikers and mules are expected to stick to the trails so as not to further the damage on the landscape - big eco-conservation in Yosemite now.

"Bicycling
Bicycling is for road bikes only. Trail riding is strictly prohibited. Bicycles can be rented at the Yosemite Store, and are single-gear, fat-tire-road-bike cheapos meant for the foot trails and specially built bicycle trails on the valley floor. Although it is possible to get a good workout and a satisfying ride, bring your road bikes only. Some people ride from the valley floor all the way to Tuolumne Meadows. It is a VERY strenuous ride, about 40 miles long, and a 5,000 ft. gain in elevation. Not for the out-of-shape duffer. Also, the ride to Glacier Point is much the same, but the return trip is a point-it-down-hill-and-hang-on thrill-ride!" (from the attached website)
Yosemite National Park Bicycling

Personally, for this location, I'd leave the bike home :)

Thanks for the info. Kind of counter-intuitive though. Bicycles don't damage the landscape anymore than walking. Much less than mules, one would think.

Stock, in general, causes significantly more damage than biking (mountain biking).

The reasons for stock being legal in national parks (and national forest wilderness areas) and bicycles not is a combination of historical and political factors.

Since I don't want to threadjack...

The Sierra Nevadas are a beautiful area in which to spend time. And wandering through Tuolomne with its glacier-carved landscape of polished granite domes is one of the best areas in the Sierras. For those that have the time or inclination, I highly recommend visiting.

Attachments

• conness.jpg
    conness.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 4
Now that Fireup has posted the photos, I don't have to...

Freezing altitudes & snow in August? Next!

:2funny:

It's already September, and it still hasn't hit freezing temperature even at 12000'. Heck, with the snowpack from last year and high temperatures, we're even melting off the remaining glaciers faster than ever :(

Yosemite Valley is always a popular destination. Average high temperatures stay between 87-90F from July through September.

Attachments

• yos_valley.jpg
    yos_valley.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom