Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-15-2019, 11:23 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
I am open to suggestions! Have you been?
No, but I've heard positive feedback.....there's a bell tower, built in the 1300s, with 465 steps that I'd love to climb.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2019, 12:16 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We're in the planning stage for a visit this spring, so these suggestions are not based on first-hand experience.

Is Zanse Schaan on your list?

We're planning on doing a day trip to Kinderdijk from Amsterdam. Train to Rotterdam then waterbus to Kinderdijk. Depending on time, we'll probably take the waterbus to Dordrecht & then train back to Amsterdam (via Rotterdam).
http://www.netherlands-tourism.com/dordrecht/

Rotterdam was destroyed by allied bombing in WWII and they rebuilt it as a modern city. The Hague has old buildings & some world class museums. So you have two very different cities.

We plan to spend a couple of nights in Utrecht which is just 30 minutes from Amsterdam.
https://travelpassionate.com/things-...t-netherlands/
walkinwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:17 PM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
No, but I've heard positive feedback.....there's a bell tower, built in the 1300s, with 465 steps that I'd love to climb.
Utrecht is great and better than the Hague, I think. Canals, good restaurants, easy transfers? Their train station is the hub for the whole country.
brokrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:15 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
Great information here, thank you. As I mentioned above, we will be there for a week and plan to do an overnight trip to Bruges by train. If we wanted to do another day trip would anyone suggest Rotterdam or The Hague?
The Hague. Well worth visiting, particularly the museum Maurithsus which is close to some nice medieval building which house parliament.

It’s also on the coast - a quick tram ride right to a nice beach area with good restaurants.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:31 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

No trip to Amsterdam is complete without a Crispy Duck. I'm not sure what they put in the sauce but it's unreal.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:06 AM   #86

Another point to keep in mind - Sunrise / sunset times. Great in spring and summer. Not so much in the winter.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/netherlands/amsterdam
walkinwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:12 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
No trip to Amsterdam is complete without a Crispy Duck. I'm not sure what they put in the sauce but it's unreal.
OK - all my annual visits to Amsterdam and I have never even heard of this. Please give the details because we adore duck.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:26 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I dunno. Perhaps it's Peking Duck served in ethnic Chinese restaurants in Amsterdam.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:31 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

In our last trip to Europe, in driving from Cologne to Brussels, we stopped by Maastrict. I had not realized the Netherlands extends that far south. It has a very nice historic old town center. Maastrict is said to be the birthplace of the EU.

I need to go back to spend more time. I will also visit America in Holland. There's also Amerika, Holland.

I have not been to Holland, Michigan, either.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-16-2019, 06:46 PM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

I will put in my plug for Leiden. It is a smaller (125,000 population) city that is 15 minutes by train from Schipol airport. Being smaller, it is cheaper than Amsterdam, has all of the canals and boat rides but without the crowds, noise, and tacky sex shop areas of Amsterdam. As well, being a University town it has the feel and energy that students can bring to a city. Also the birthplace of Rembrandt. It is also only about 10 km from the sand beaches on the North Sea which you can reach by bike. Probably one of my favourite places in Europe.
jcfradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:02 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
In our last trip to Europe, in driving from Cologne to Brussels, we stopped by Maastrict. I had not realized the Netherlands extends that far south. It has a very nice historic old town center. Maastrict is said to be the birthplace of the EU.

I need to go back to spend more time. I will also visit America in Holland. There's also Amerika, Holland.

Maastricht is beautiful! We loved the medieval architecture. Great walking old city. I think it’s part of the Netherlands due to just one general who wouldn’t give it up.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:10 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Yes, Leiden is very nice too. Famous botanical garden worth a visit. That is where tulips were first cultivated by a famous botanist after being brought from Turkey. Also has an awesome old center a lovely canals.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:17 PM   #93
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

I've been to Holland, MI. Nice, but I wouldn't go very far out of my way to visit.

Maastrict & surrounding district is an interesting case. By all rights, being Catholic historically, it ought to be a part of Belgium. When the other Catholic areas of the southern Netherlands rebelled & broke away to form Catholic Belgium around 1830, the military garrison at Maastrict remained loyal to the Protestant Dutch king. Hence is its southern geographic & highly Catholic appendage to the Netherlands.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:19 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
I've been to Holland, MI. Nice, but I wouldn't go very far out of my way to visit...
Just joking. I want to be able to say that I have been to Holland (pause) in Michigan.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:16 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Rotterdam was destroyed by allied bombing in WWII and they rebuilt it as a modern city.
I lived in Rotterdam for four years. It's different, and interesting if you like radical architecture, but it's very much a working city. There's not a whole lot for tourists.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:35 PM   #96

We stayed at the CocoMama Hostel in Amerstdam and loved it. We paid extra for our own private room and bath, but we still had access to the basement where the community kitchen/hangout room was. We were able to meet many interesting travelers from all over the world, as well as the hostel cat. We also loved going to the local grocery store to get a few items and cooking in some nights.

Cocomama

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:48 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
I lived in Rotterdam for four years. It's different, and interesting if you like radical architecture, but it's very much a working city. There's not a whole lot for tourists.

Nice! Just the excuse I needed to post a link to a song I knew: "Rotterdam (or anywhere)". How fitting is this?

Rotterdam (or anywhere) by The Beautiful South

And the women tug their hair
Like they're trying to prove it won't fall out
And all the men are gargoyles
Dipped long in Irish stout

The whole place is pickled
The people are pickles for sure
And no one knows if they've done more here
Than they ever would do in a jar

This could be Rotterdam or anywhere
Liverpool or Rome
'cause Rotterdam is anywhere
Anywhere alone
Anywhere alone

And everyone is blonde
And everyone is beautiful
And when blondes and beautiful are multiple
They become so dull and dutiful

And when faced with dull and dutiful
They fire red warning flares
Battle-khaki personality
With red underwear

This could be Rotterdam or anywhere
Liverpool or Rome
'cause Rotterdam is anywhere
Anywhere alone
Anywhere alone

Old 03-20-2019, 11:19 AM   #98

Probably not what you are used to but we stay at a B&B on Nieuwendijk 80.00 EU a night . Actually for Amsterdam a steal ( Clean Safe and an excellent location in the Centrum Area .) It is excellent for us about 100yards from Central Station . This will be our 26th trip over this August and it is like a family reunion . We have seen most of the great museums , we go to Amsterdam to party and have fun. Sad thing is the town has seemed to be dead . Used to have some characters that were more entertainment then some museums . If you want any help on the crazy side or our Hotel please send us a private message . Summer is still a blast .
Spend some time in Volendam and Marken , eat some EEL and tour an old fishing town . LOL
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:50 AM   #99

This is one of our trips , this is the AVO . Texans in Amsterdam !

Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:21 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

+1 Can't beat a Bar Band!!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote