Natchez Trace - Is it an interesting drive?

I was on the Natchez Trace last night driving toward Tupelo. And yes, we saw a bunch of wildlife even on a short 30 mile stretch. I bet we didn't see another car coming the other way but every 5 minutes or so--sparsely traveled.

Our return trip was by 4 lane highways all the way--faster and less nerve racking. I'll drive an hour or so on the Trace, but wouldn't think about driving 438 mile length of the road.

We used to bike it a lot from Natchez to French Camp. It's a lovely ride, and I'd recommend getting off of it to see natchez of course, then Port Gibson and the Vicksburg battlefield - that's a bit out of the way, but one of my favorite places to bike. Up by French Camp there is a observatory! Lots of fond memories of those days.

Not sure yet, we are planning to drive from Los Angeles taking I-10 to New Orleans and then to Memphis and catch I-40 back to California.

While doing research on Tripadvisor someone mentioned Natchez Trace, perhaps we should go to Nashville via Tupelo?

I have traveled extensively throughout the U.S., and I wouldn't suggest I-10 to New Orleans. It's 900 miles of virtually nothing just to get across Texas. And driving the width of Arizona's no party either.

Last time I drove west to Yuma, Arizona, it was about 850 miles from my house before any interesting scenery on I-40 in Western Oklahoma. And I had no idea that New Mexico was uphill from East to West--all the way to Flagstaff.

Most people today will spend upwards of $200 a day on gasoline and cheap hotels when traveling on the ground. It's very frankly cheaper to fly on Southwest to New Orleans and then rent a car for regional day trips.

There are many scenic places to see in this great country. But I-10 and I-40 (west of Memphis) scenery is seldom very scenic.

We traveled west on I40 in the fall of 2013 and had an enjoyable trip, pulling a travel trailer. In Arkansas we stopped at Fort Smith and saw the national monument. Oklahoma City has a number of attractions including the National Cowboy Hall of Fame and Western Heritage Center, the moving national monument on the site of the OKC bombing, and the fabulous Fred Jones Museum of Art at the University of Oklahoma in Norman. It is one of the best museums we've ever seen.

In the panhandle of Texas, near Amarillo, is Palo Duro Canyon, the second largest canyon in the USA (next to the Grand Canyon). It is spectacular.

Albuquerque in New Mexico has a number of wonderful attractions. West of Albuquerque in Albuquerque, is the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest. Sunset Crater National Monument, near Flagstaff is worth seeing. Stop in Winslow Arizona, just off I40, go downtown and stand on the corner (remember the Eagles song "Standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona"). Meteor Crater in Arizona is also worth a visit and is located near I40. The south rim of the Grand Canyon is also a day trip from I40 as you pass through Arizona.

We love the desert landscape and exploring the many sites located along the I40 corridor.

With respect to the Natchez Trace, we haven't been but look forward to going. We live near the Blue Ridge Parkway and never tire of it.

Driving through the Natchez Trace was peaceful and beautiful. We saw lots of deer along the road.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom