Join Early Retirement Today

need help with cruises
Old 11-30-2022, 11:23 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

need help with cruises

my mom wants to take a cruise (this will be her first), i've never taken one myself so need some help with research. What's a good site to use? expedia? is cruisedirect legit? my mom lives in TX so I guess she'll be boarding from Galveston, she's looking at 5 to 7 nights and doesn't care where to go. Seems Caribbean would be a good choice. She'll be going solo.
Thanks.
ER_Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2022, 01:28 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Those are good places to look. Also vacationstogo.com, and of course each of the cruise line's own websites directly once you've narrowed down the cruise you're interested in. Also, expedia-aarp.com as AARP members can get additional discounts. Considering AARP membership is $16/year or less, when you can save hundreds on a cruise, even if you don't like AARP, it's worth it to join just for a year for the savings. That's why we originally joined AARP - for the travel benefits...when we were 45 years old.

If you're interested in learning more about cruising, or any aspect of it from different ports, to pros/cons of each cruise line, to tips and tricks, you want to spend some time on cruisecritic.com

Going solo, you'll want to narrow your choices down to one that caters to solo travelers, otherwise you'll be paying extra for a single traveler. Norwegian is known for doing a very good job - as they have a cabin area dedicated to solo travelers on some ships.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=419
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 04:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post

If you're interested in learning more about cruising, or any aspect of it from different ports, to pros/cons of each cruise line, to tips and tricks, you want to spend some time on cruisecritic.com

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=419
+1 I have used them many times with great success.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 05:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
... If you're interested in learning more about cruising, or any aspect of it from different ports, to pros/cons of each cruise line, to tips and tricks, you want to spend some time on cruisecritic.com
+1

Cruise Critic provides an enormous amount of information about everything related to the cruising industry. This includes the different cruise lines, most of the individual ships, the most common itineraries, the common ports of call, and the common shore excursions available in each port. There was also a section about tips for new cruisers that even veteran cruisers can benefit from.

There is also a "roll call" section which allows cruisers to connect with other individuals who will be on their particular sailing. Somebody will often organize a number of socials on board the ship for other Cruise Critic users.

Most of the people posting on the Cruise Critic website are veteran cruisers. Of course, we should always be cautious about blindly accepting information from any source as being truthful, but our experience has been that whenever there is a general consensus of opinion on a topic on the website, the general consensus is pretty accurate almost all the time.

If you are not familiar with the Cruise Critic website, give them a look!
Old 12-01-2022, 11:00 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
If she is a costco member, they also offer cruises.

I tend to use vacationstogo.com to find the cruise I'm interested in. Then compare the price (and freebies) on the actual cruise line site. Finally compare it to Costco.

I've only bought cruises on the costco site and directly on the cruise line.

Be prepared for the Upsell , they will offer lots of purchasing opportunities, like paying for photos', drinks, etc..
Old 12-01-2022, 11:10 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post

Be prepared for the Upsell , they will offer lots of purchasing opportunities, like paying for photos', drinks, etc..
This. She needs to know what's included and what's extra. Excursions, upcharges for some restaurants, tips, spa treatments, Internet, drinks packages...they all add up. In some ways it makes sense- if all you want to do is vegetate on the ship and enjoy non-alcoholic beverages you're not paying for what you don't use- but you don't want her to end up with an unexpectedly big bill at the end.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 11:17 AM   #7

There's a lot of finer points - none critical to know - about cruising. Here are my suggested need-to-know items:
One can have a great time on a cruise and spend a minimal amount above and beyond the initial cruise cost. Conversely, unless one is careful or chooses to do so, it's also easy to end up spending a lot more $$.
Nothing wrong with Shore Excursions, but they do add to the cost. For a first time cruiser, and a single one at that, your Mom is probably better off taking shore excursions rather than going it alone at a strange port. Just be aware of the extra cost for them.
Go easy on drinking, not just for the money but for safety.
Stay away from the Art Auction.
Don't "hide" in the cabin. Walk around the ship, participate in the shipboard activities, and have fun.
[others may disagree with this]: No need to pay the extra $$ for the supposed fancier for-fee restaurants. The food in the main dining room is fine.
mystang52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 12:22 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
Stay away from the Art Auction.
Wow. Do they still have those things? I've read the horror stories. They even sold Rembrandt prints made from Rembrandt's original plates, but after centuries of having to re-work, fill in, etc. there aren't much of the original plates left so the prints are of minimal value.

Quote:
[others may disagree with this]: No need to pay the extra $$ for the supposed fancier for-fee restaurants. The food in the main dining room is fine.
Depends on the line. On the budget lines, it's all about keeping the sticker price low and turning you into an income stream after you board. Definitely check Cruise Critic for details on specific ships and itineraries. The First Time Cruisers section is particularly useful.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 12:32 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Wow. Do they still have those things? I've read the horror stories. They even sold Rembrandt prints made from Rembrandt's original plates, but after centuries of having to re-work, fill in, etc. there aren't much of the original plates left so the prints are of minimal value.
Darn,, I guess the free prints they gave us for showing up are not going to be part of my retirement package

Probably good advice for newbies not to go to the art auction, it's not really fun at all. Better to play the free games/activities scattered all over the ship.

The free (included) nightly shows are great for most ships, the bigger the ship the bigger the show.
Old 12-01-2022, 12:37 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Another perhaps useful piece of advice is that you are not limited to only one appetizer or one dessert or even just one entree at dinner. You can order as many as you like, although some of the cruise lines are starting to charge for more than two entrees. I have never ordered more than one entree, because I am not that big of an eater, but I have ordered more than one appetizer. Sometimes there are just so many menu items that sound so delicious that I hate to not be able to try them but I also don't like to waste food either. This advice pertains to the main dining room. I don't know how specialty restaurants handle this as I have never eaten in one.
Plantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 06:15 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Look at Viking river cruises. No kids. Smaller group so one can make friends easily. Great food. No nickel & diming. We've taken several cruises with them.
This Spring we tried their ship cruise to Alaska. I liked it; my DW preferred the smaller river cruises.
Old 12-09-2022, 04:23 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

On the vacationstogo.com website that someone mentioned you can click on solo prices, and then sort lowest to highest, unless she is not concerned about price. Some cruise lines charge 100% single supplement, and some charge none, and most are somewhere in between. That is a good place to start. A travel agent could probably be very helpful for your Mom in this instance, and many of them will offer added perks over and above what the cruise line is offering.
PG_Photo_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 05:50 AM   #13

I see you are close to Los Angeles with children. If your mom does come to LA to visit the family, it might be a good idea to book a cheap cruise for her and the family out of Long Beach to Catalina island, and Mexico. There are 4 day and 7 day cruises from LA. I consider this an entry level cruise experience to see if you really enjoy this type of entertainment.
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 06:50 AM   #14

Not the most traveled here - but I've done perhaps 12 cruises - anything from Mainstream lines like Royal, to lux lines like Regent.

If 100% of the goal is price, I'd look at CruiseCompete dot com. Quick real quotes, good deals vis a vis discounts off sticker price of cruise. However -minimal to no personalized service - not saying that is a need, just pointing it out. I have used them twice - mind you that was years ago but they still are in business.

I personally like having someone to call. So I use my travel agent and we have an unwritten rule that I get "OBC" on each cruise -- that means OnBoard Credit for spending. I get 6-8% OBC each cruise - in ADDITION to whatever the cruise-line is offering. The 6-8% comes out of the travel agent's commission. (If I spend $10,000 on a family cruise, I get $700 to spend on the ship). Again YMMV - my 1st agent - when I knew nothing about cruising - - would send me a $50 gift to my room. No thanks I prefer the nice OBC instead. We don't buy "stuff" on the ship.....but shore excursions, specialty restaurants add up. I've heard of others getting more OBC than me - but my travel agent is always on cell, we meet in person at times, and if needed he takes care of small requests.
MichealKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 09:55 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

my mom is pretty frugal and this is her first cruise, so she's just looking for a "basic model", no need for bells and whistles. (and she doesn't consume alcohol)

I know the sticker price is just the beginning, what other mandatory fees/fees will be added? take this cruise for example; https://book.cruisedirect.com/swift/...se?siid=294662
So far I know $12 to $16 gratuity per day, port charges (is it charged per port call?) How much is a shore excursion typically? (I know it's optional.)

Their info page says these are included.
  • Your Royal Caribbean Cruise Package Includes:
    • Comfortable accommodations
    • Ocean transportation
    • Most entertainment and daily activities
    • On-board meals and some beverages
    • Port charges
    • Kids club.
    It does not include travel protection, shore excursions, personal expenses, specialty dining, wifi, gratuities, or alcoholic beverages.
Old 12-10-2022, 10:11 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantman View Post
Another perhaps useful piece of advice is that you are not limited to only one appetizer or one dessert or even just one entree at dinner. You can order as many as you like, although some of the cruise lines are starting to charge for more than two entrees. I have never ordered more than one entree, because I am not that big of an eater, but I have ordered more than one appetizer. Sometimes there are just so many menu items that sound so delicious that I hate to not be able to try them but I also don't like to waste food either. This advice pertains to the main dining room. I don't know how specialty restaurants handle this as I have never eaten in one.

Yea, a great feature for a hungry teenage boy...

At one meal he had 3 appetizer, 2 main entrees and 2 deserts and ate it all...

I think that if there is a charge (I have not seen one but do not order extra) it is because some people order 3 or 4 and only eat a bite or two on the plate...

I just got back from a cruise and one night they had lobster tail... I asked for an extra tail instead of two entrees... they provided me just what I wanted and did not waste food.
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 02:39 PM   #17

One note on Shore Excursions..... some book them thru the cruise-line either pre-cruise, or during the cruise. Others just do something on their own. Others book excursions thru independent vendors - - sometimes it's cheaper, maybe sometimes more local info, etc etc. My parents book their own independent excursions.

One note: Though it rarely happens. IF an excursion is booked thru the cruise line, and something excursion-related makes passengers late to get back on the ship - the ship will NOT leave without them, and at worse the ship makes arrangements for the late passengers to get to the next port. IF the excursion was booked independently - late passengers are on their own.

I just book thru the ship. For the few bucks - -I feel it prevents something that could be rather unpleasant. Not to mention it's nice and convenient, the ship just gives you tickets to the excursions when onboard.

One more thing: Nobody is invincible but I probably do a hard washing of the hands at least 10-12 times a day on the ship - -this doesn't count the santizers. NoroVirus - again not common - but one can get it from touching surfaces amongst other ways. In the end if the germ is in the air, oh well but I like to take this precaution.
MichealKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 08:32 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn’t go for less than a week because the days you get on and off are wasted especially since you get off in the morning. I always book the excursions through the ship for the reason already mentioned. I wouldn’t book carnival as I have heard too many bad stories. Royal Caribbean is reasonable and I like their cruises.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 10:41 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

We've been on a bunch of Carnival and other ships. Carnival has been fine as long as you don't go during school break times.
Too many little kids running around during school break times, in mobs of children, not cute!
Old 12-13-2022, 08:36 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

if my mom wants to find a roommate or cabinmate in this case, to lower the cost, is there way or website do this?