Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-28-2022, 04:33 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTX View Post
Just to follow up below is a round 2 proposal. It is still probably too jam packed but theoretically doable. Would probably better to do Boston and then either go or go south but not both.

Edit: a probably more relaxed schedule would be to do Boston and Salem, then either choose
- North up the coast OR
- South Cape Cod area and Newport Mansions

But not both
I live in Boston. I would pick the relaxed schedule - probably the south one. I know you must be used to driving distances but a : traffic is horrible in Boston and on the routes in and out and b: I suspect as Bill Bryson said of the UK ( and I found true) the same distance is further here 😀. There will be plenty to do - you won’t be bored and probably will be better friends with less time sitting in traffic jams.
Sarah S is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2022, 04:42 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Edit: a probably more relaxed schedule would be to do Boston and Salem, then either choose
- North up the coast OR
- South Cape Cod area and Newport Mansions

But not both
Probably a good idea. Have more time to enjoy the places vs rush through them.
Please note that weekend traffic to and from Cape is horrendous. There’s only two bridges and six mile backups are very common.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:00 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

We didn’t drive to the Newport mansions but took a bus tour. They also gave us a few hours of free time in the little town. It took most of the day. When we walked around the historic part of Boston we ran into lots of interesting things to do. For instance the Paul Revere house had people in costumes acting out that time in history.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:17 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
The Hilltop was in Saugus off of Rte 1 South not Braintree.

Actually, there were 2 Hilltop Steak Houses, the one in Saugus and Braintree...both are gone now.
Livefree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:28 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Ah... learn something new every day... I never heard of the one in Braintree but ate at the Saugus location many times over the years.

Now I know why... the Braintree location opened in 1990 and we moved away from Boston in 1986.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:44 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Saturday Sept 30
- Newport Mansions
- Block Island - maybe?
+1 on Newport Mansions

There were a few that offered a guided tour. We just picked one. It was the Marble House owned by the Vanderbilt.

It was good to learn how the rich people lived in the old days. I would not trade my home with its modern comfort for these mansions. Also would not trade my car for how they traveled by boat or by horse carriage to go to/from their summer home.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:02 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
+1 on Newport Mansions
I would not trade my home with its modern comfort for these mansions. Also would not trade my car for how they traveled by boat or by horse carriage to go to/from their summer home.
Mmmmmmm. I have to think about that one! Summers in a Newport mansion, winters in Palm Beach, lots of people to handle the details while you go yachting. A slower pace of life. The Gilded Age before the 16th amendment.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:28 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
... I would not trade my home with its modern comfort for these mansions....
Me either, but that bathroom with the separate faucets for salt water was impressive.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:13 PM   #49
Dryer sheet wannabe

Here are some ideas, I live right by Salem Ma and while lovely, if your not into witch stuff I wouldn’t devote a whole day.

Depending on flight times I might try this.

Arrive on Tuesday and drive to Newport. Eat dinner in town
Wednesday see mansions, tennis hall of fame walk some of the cliff walk. Stay in Newport
Thursday, head to Boston. (~1.5 hours after rush hour). Some of freedom trail, dinner in North End or at legal seafood in the Seaport

Friday, take the high speed ferry to Provincetown at the end of cape cod. (~1.5 hours each way). Used to be town shuttle you could take out to Race point beach, assume still running. Town is interesting, lots of restaurants and art galleries. Head back to Boston on afternoon or evening ferry. As an alternative, if you are big history buffs, skip beach head to Lexington and Concord

Saturday, more Boston

Sunday head north ending up in Ogunquit (depending on weather beach traffic might be issue). It’s about 1.5 drive time, but you could make a day of it hitting a few of these (Salem, Rockport, Gloucester, Newburyport, Portsmouth)

Monday Oqunquit

Tuesday - back to airport

This way you are heading mostly in one direction

Have a wonderful trip
onabreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:14 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
We didn’t drive to the Newport mansions but took a bus tour. They also gave us a few hours of free time in the little town. It took most of the day. When we walked around the historic part of Boston we ran into lots of interesting things to do. For instance the Paul Revere house had people in costumes acting out that time in history.
That's why I like to have plenty of 'free time' built into my schedule.

I have only been in Boston once and all I remember is the streets downtown looked like they were built for two guys - one on his horse and the other walking next to the horse.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:33 PM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by onabreak View Post
Here are some ideas, I live right by Salem Ma and while lovely, if your not into witch stuff I wouldn’t devote a whole day.

Depending on flight times I might try this.

Arrive on Tuesday and drive to Newport. Eat dinner in town
Wednesday see mansions, tennis hall of fame walk some of the cliff walk. Stay in Newport
Thursday, head to Boston. (~1.5 hours after rush hour). Some of freedom trail, dinner in North End or at legal seafood in the Seaport

Friday, take the high speed ferry to Provincetown at the end of cape cod. (~1.5 hours each way). Used to be town shuttle you could take out to Race point beach, assume still running. Town is interesting, lots of restaurants and art galleries. Head back to Boston on afternoon or evening ferry. As an alternative, if you are big history buffs, skip beach head to Lexington and Concord

Saturday, more Boston

Sunday head north ending up in Ogunquit (depending on weather beach traffic might be issue). It’s about 1.5 drive time, but you could make a day of it hitting a few of these (Salem, Rockport, Gloucester, Newburyport, Portsmouth)

Monday Oqunquit

Tuesday - back to airport

This way you are heading mostly in one direction

Have a wonderful trip
Grew up in MA and now live in SNH. I think you make some great and sensible suggestions. I agree on Salem as well. No big deal unless you are a witch aficionado
Walking the Marginal way in Ogunquit is nice and get some sea food somewhere. Maybe fit in Kennebunkport around Walkers point as well.
The ferry to P'town is a good idea also.
Also a big fan of Legal Seafood or an Italian dinner in the North End.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:34 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
That's why I like to have plenty of 'free time' built into my schedule.

I have only been in Boston once and all I remember is the streets downtown looked like they were built for two guys - one on his horse and the other walking next to the horse.
Well, that is pretty much how the city was laid out. And, if you think you can make 4 right turns and get back where you started you are out of luck.
Old 07-01-2022, 04:52 PM   #53

Quote:
Wife and i and another couple are taking a week trip to New England last week of September. Flying into Boston. Most have never been there. I have only a couple of times briefly. Any suggestions of what to see, what not to, where to stay where to eat etc would be helpful. Generally hope to see an area most haven’t been to, visit Boston, maybe see New England coast, eat lots of lobster, see leaves change etc. A week is not enough but that’s what we have.

Thanks in advance.

Walk the Freedom Trail in Boston. Go to Little Italy. The Aquarium. Boston Harbor. So much to see. Not enough time to see New England in a week.

Head to the southern Maine coast. Portland, York, Wells, Ogunguit, Kennebunkport, Boothbay Harbor.

I live in NH and vacationed in Vermont for 22 years. Hit northern NH and Vermont for the foliage which is normally spectacular that week in the north.

I could go on and on.

You need at least month plus to appreciate all New England has to offer.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:02 PM   #54
Dryer sheet wannabe

I would check out Lexington and Concord MA if you like history. Old North Bridge, Battle Road, Museums old cemeteries and trolley tours would be great. So many beachy towns, Newburyport, Rockport and others that people have mentioned. You can get great seafood at any of those places but you will find good seafood away from coast as well. Weather can be anywhere from cold and rainy to hot to perfect fall! Enjoy!
BarbH29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:25 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Op - make sure you get the guided freedom trail walk. Well worth it.
+1.

Also, you might consider reducing the number of days you have the rental car and spend the savings on a centrally located hotel in Boston. Walk or use taxis/ride sharing when in the city. I wouldn’t want to spend time “commuting” given the limited duration of your stay in Boston.
GoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:15 PM   #56
Dryer sheet wannabe

Live in Boston area now - Check out FB for Boston groups as there is a lot of info to be found. I've enjoyed the Mansions in Newport (nice walking path too) ,tons of stuff to do in the Seaport area- Faneuil Hall, Freedom Trail, can take the ferry over to PTown on the Cape. Museums are fantastic, strolling along the Charles watching the crew teams, walking the Emerald Necklace. Mount Auburn Cemetery is absolutely beautiful too! I could go on and on...

I hope you enjoy your visit!
Old 07-02-2022, 06:17 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Getting Around Boston

Used to live in Medford--a Boston suburb. There are tons of things to do and see, but getting around by car is a pain. Even driving up to Salem and Maine you'll find awful traffic. Use the T to get around town whenever you can. It's part of the Beantown experience.

If you like art at all, let me recommend the Isabella Gardner Museum. https://www.gardnermuseum.org/ It's a little jewel, the private collection of an heiress who cherry picked her way through the great masters and spent a few million scooping up Rembrandts, Titians, John Singer Sargeants and a host of other works. A delightful way to spend a day!

And oh, yes to the Little Italy meal you have planned! A gastronomic event not to be missed!

Have fun!
Maidensong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 06:22 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Wife and i and another couple are taking a week trip to New England last week of September. Flying into Boston. Most have never been there. I have only a couple of times briefly. Any suggestions of what to see, what not to, where to stay where to eat etc would be helpful. Generally hope to see an area most haven’t been to, visit Boston, maybe see New England coast, eat lots of lobster, see leaves change etc. A week is not enough but that’s what we have.

Thanks in advance.
Check out Hampton Beach in NH and Old Orchard Beach in Maine. You can do a lot in a week in New England, everything is rather close, let’s say, compared to Texas. Have fun
pletal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:20 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

I grew up in NH and my wife grew up in RI.

We agree on the Kancamagus, Maine coast, Newport Mansions, and the Whaling Museum in New Bedford. There are many other suggestions here that are great.

If you are going to be in Maine I suggest you google "Bert and I records" in You Tube. That is Maine humor. And Maine accent.

You might remember the proper pronunciation of Bah Hahbah.

Also if you like Portuguese food, you can get chourizo and peppers somewhere. Very delicious. And steamahs in Maine.

Have a lot of fun!
ImThinkin2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:35 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Ogunquit looks interesting. Thanks.
Ditto to this list. A nice break from busy Boston and you get a better feel for the New England Coast. Plus the ocean water will still be warm.. of course not as warm where you are coming from but it is still retaining summer heat. Even in Sept. there can be some 90 degree days!
zekeboz is offline   Reply With Quote