New Hampshire/Vermont Mountain Biking for those who need to stick to fairly level woo

michelek

Recycles dryer sheets
The past year has been rough physically and we don’t feel up to the downhill MTB we used to do. We love to bike off road and still want to make vacations centered around biking in the woods. A bucket list item has been going to NH/VT on a summer trip- bring the bikes and ride- but my concern is the mountains there are really MOUNTAINS! Are there any options for those bikers who wish to stay on fairly level ground? We definitely want to see the scenery and experience the forest. Anyone here been there done that?

The areas around lake Champlain are much flatter (but not completely flat) and have some great biking. I spend the summer on one of the islands there and a fantastic ride on old railroad causeway between Burlington and the southern most island.

Definitely check out rails to trails. Railroads are generally at a slight grade. And check out trails along lakes and rivers. Slight slope there too. Or maybe research a state that is flatter.

I cant handle biking mountains anymore either. Now the flatter the better. I bike a trail in Illinois along the river that has 34’ of elevation gain in 22 miles.

Many of the roads are in valleys... especially north-south roads... for example, Rte 5 runs north-south along the Connecticut River on the eastern edge of Vermont and is pretty flat and not very busy. There are also a number of rail trails, but unfortunately at this time they are a pretty short... however, the Lamoille Valley Rail Trail will be 93 miles from end-to-end when fully built out.... but now it is only a 15 mile section from St. Johnsbury to Danville and a 17 mile section from Morristown to Cambridge.

Route 2 from Barre to Burlington parallels the Winooski river and is relatively flat.

Also, the western edge of the state along Lake Champlain is pretty flat... as is Grand isle county which include the big islands in Lake Champlain. There is a nice rail trail along the eastern shore of Lake Champlain in Chittenden County that is pretty flat.

https://vtsports.com/rail-trail-revival/
https://www.vermontvacation.com/~/m...ation/biking/vt-bike-map-2015-2016.ashx?la=en

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom