New Orleans Must Sees

If it is safe these days, I would recommend a guided walking tour of St. Louis Cemetery #1, the oldest cemetery in New Orleans. I took the tour 20 years ago and found it very interesting with lots of history. Marie Laveau is also buried there.

The food and music are not a big draw for us. I would like the WWII museum though.

My brother lives there. When he wants to go out for fun, he goes to Frenchman Street. He also likes Treme district. He took me for BBQ to a place called "The Joint". Gets my mouth watering thinking about it. Have fun!

The food and music are not a big draw for us. I would like the WWII museum though.

See, this is why I am reluctant to recommend any "must sees" in this type of thread. People like to see and do different things! Personally I haven't even been down to Bourbon Street since 1999 or earlier, because to me it is a huge turn-off - - music at some bars on Bourbon Street is loud enough to blow your ears out, the whole street reeks with the stench of vomit and urine, quite a few shady con artists trying to get money from tourists, and so on. So I can't recommend going there even though it seems like more tourists love Bourbon Street than anything else. It's not terrible, but it's just not for ME.

What do we happen to like? Well, we like going down to the boat launch and watching the seagulls floating on Lake Ponchartrain, playing and flying around. For us they are terrific entertainment. For many tourists that would be frightfully boring. We love the music and food in New Orleans, but we don't know what establishments to send you to that you might like. Occasionally I have mentioned one of the world famous restaurants that we particularly enjoy, and people here on the forum disagreed vehemently. Like I said, people are different. Find your own heaven! It's here, I guarantee it. :D It just may not be mine.

My recommendation is to read on the internet about what visitors do in New Orleans, and see what you find to be appealing. Then go do that. Nobody can TELL you what you will like and must see; only you know that.

Willie Mae’s fried chicken will not disappoint! Arnaud’s for more upscale dining also great.

Thanks all!
We had a nice four days. Had some very good meals and one fantastic one (Irene’s).
Rode the Paddle Steam ship. Took the mule drawn carriage tour. Wandered the Garden district.
Never felt unsafe other than worrying about falling in the sidewalk pot holes.

Back
Top Bottom