New Orleans Must Sees

GravitySucks

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Traveling to New Orleans for a few days. Any recommendations for a must do tour or must try restaurants?

We were there earlier this year and did a walking tour of the Garden District and an evening Ghost Tour through French Quarter. Both really good.

I always stop at Cafe Du Monde.

Jackson Square is usually interesting.

Where are you staying?

Too many restaurants to mention them all. Commander's Palace used to have $.25 mimosas with their jazz brunch. Arguably, that was the best restaurant in the city for a long time, but I've been out of NOLA for several years. Muriel's on Jackson Square is excellent. My favorite was out in Arabi, called Rocky and Carlo's (Ladies Invited). Salvo's in Belle Chasse always had some really fresh, delicious seafood.

W2R should be here soon to tell you the latest.

Last edited:
Preservation Hall. Must-do even though you'll stand in line for the show (get there early).
Abita Amber beer

W2R may have some suggestions. :)

W2R should be here soon to tell you the latest.
W2R may have some suggestions. :)

Naw, not me. Well, I guess that if I was to mention my favorite well known place it would be Mandina's. But we haven't been there since Katrina. When Frank and I were first dating, we made a game out of looking for the best gumbo in New Orleans, and for us Mandina's won the gumbo contest. I liked their shrimp creole back then, too. Also adored Impastato's which is (was?) founded by and run by a family friend. Haven't been there for over a decade.

All those HawkeyeNFO mentioned are good, or were the last time we were there anyway (years ago for most restaurants). Muriels was founded/owned/run by the family living right across the street from me before I moved across town into my Dream Home. Local restaurants run by local families are the way to go. Tujagues was founded/owned/run by my real estate agent's family. It's not like I have connections. This is just a restaurant town.

We avoid chain restaurants, big restaurants, expensive restaurants, or restaurants with out-of-town roots. Every tourist who has ever been here thinks they found the best restaurant in town. That's because you can hardly go wrong when it comes to restaurants in New Orleans. We've been to a lot and then simply don't return to those few we don't like. That leaves about 17 zillion others to choose from. Now that we are retired and growing older, we tend to choose cheap family run restaurants or sports bars just around the corner from home.

The National World War II Museum is great. It's right in the city and easy walking or streetcar access. We spent about 4 hrs going through it. Lots of displays and history about the European, Asian, and African campaigns.

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/

We also enjoyed the Mardi Gras World museum & tour. It's in a huge warehouse where the floats are built, repaired and stored during the year. Tour guides help explain the origin of the "krewes" and how Mardi Gras became such a big part of New Orleans history. You can watch the artists working on displays and see the floats up close. It's further out from the center but they have a free shuttle from Canal Street.

https://mardigrasworld.com/

BrianB

True Story , be careful ..Last spring during the Jazz fest friends of ours were waiting to get a table at Mandinas . A Toyota Corolla pulled up one guy walked right past my friend and started shooting a waiter . My friend said he was only 5 feet from the shooter and maybe 10 feet from the victim . He said the other guy got out and shot into the restaurant. While my friends wife was inside the restaurant she didn’t get hit but it was people stacked on people in the restaurant ducking the bullets . My friend said it happened so quick nobody could do anything . The two guys got in their car and drove off.

Lived in the New Orleans area until 2018......The French Quarter (and most areas of the city) are no longer safe. We lived in the 'burbs but quit going to the Quarter the last few years....Not only is crime (and shootings) an issue but the government is corrupt and I prefer to give my sales/lodge tax elsewhere.

It was once a great, unique USA city but no longer safe and habitable, IMO.

Be careful. I'm not comfortable recommending any places in New Orleans. Mandinas (the post above) was always a "go to" place for us but as you can see, not worth it anymore...even if the Trout Almondine is excellent. SAD.

Always watch your back especially late night. But if you are staying in French Quarter there will be plenty to see and do within walking distance. All great suggestions on here. There are thingd to do a little out of the city like swamp tours , charter fishing etc. .There is also Harrah's right in the city as well. Always something happening 24/7 enjoy

The National World War II Museum is great. It's right in the city and easy walking or streetcar access. We spent about 4 hrs going through it. Lots of displays and history about the European, Asian, and African campaigns.

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/

+1 on the WW II museum. Outstanding, and large. It would be easy to spend an entire day and not see it all.

If you like Oysters try Char- grilled Oysters Drago's

If you like oysters try char-grilled oysters at Drago's many other seafood restaurants also offer them... laissez les bons temps rouler

In the quarter and other places never walk alone, stay in crowds.
If you see people standing outside a door it is probably a great little poboy restaurant.

We enjoyed a Mississippi Paddle Wheel steamboat cruise many years ago. The dock was not far from Jackson square.

Well it’s been decades. Looks like it’s still going.

As has been mentioned, sadly NOLA has become infested with crime, especially against tourists. Wherever you go, don't stand out as a tourist, and never find yourself somewhere in the city center alone. The last time I was there in 2019 (Xmas to NYE) some Chinese tourists staying in the VRBO condo across the hall from me were kidnapped along Canal St, driven outside the city, robbed of everything and left by themselves in a swamp. Nice young couple but they were so terrified they left the city that day. I felt so bad for them.

My favorite restaurant in the city is Mandina's, also as others have mentioned. Best po boys in the city.

A few blocks from Mandina's is my favorite bar, Finn McCool's. It's a great, low-key, neighborhood dive bar. I always make new friends there.

Many restaurants near Lake Ponchatrain advertise great seafood; don't believe a word of it. Those are among the worst restaurants in the city, and highly overpriced.

But, yeah, sadly I think my trips to NOLA are in my rearview window at this point. Been there a dozen or more times over the last 35 years and the city has become so run-down and, post-Katrina, infected by major crime. Shortly before I was there in 2019 a Google van taking images for Streetview was carjacked in the Lower 9th ward. Imagine, carjackers stealing a vehicle that is loaded with cameras saving images instantly to the cloud. If they're willing to do that, they'll do anything to get what you have.

In the quarter and other places never walk alone, stay in crowds.
If you see people standing outside a door it is probably a great little poboy restaurant.

We were in NOrleans a few years ago. I did not feel unsafe in the French Quarter, but the makeup of the crowds started changing around 10pm and that's when we went back to our hotel which was within walking distance.
If price is not an issue, Brennan's and Commanders Palace had really good food, especially Banana's Foster at Brennan's (original birthplace of this famous dessert).

We were there recently and went to Toup’s Meatery for dinner and enjoyed it.

I wish I could help you but the last time I was in New Orleans was in 1970 for a few days during Mardi Gras in my hippie days. A couple of older ladies let us sleep on their living room floor. I only remember a few bits and pieces of what the French Quarter was like. I think I went to Pat Obrien's to try a Hurricane. But that was 53 years ago so who knows.

Cheers!

I grew up in and around New Orleans, but it has been decades since I spent time in the city. I went for a trip to see family in early October, and decided to stay in the French Quarter for a change. Jazz Paddleboat on the Mississippi River, Cafe du Monde, Jackson Square, Walking ghost tour, WW II Museum, Pat O'briens courtyard, Preservation Hall, Jazz Brunch at the Court of Two Sisters, Mandina's, Commanders Palace and Dookie Chase for dinner, Tipitinas and many others for music. It is not the same city that I left in the 80's, much less safe and much more expensive. But it was still a unique experience and we had a wonderful time!

We are going to in New Orleans for 3 nights this May so interested in this thread. Last time I was there it was fun listening to the free jazz on the street and having some simple but delicious food.
Anyone have suggestions on a good place to stay? I have temporarily booked the Provincial Hotel but maybe there are some other suggestions. The reason we are going is some of our family are meeting there before going to other places along the gulf.

I stopped doing hotels many years ago. Whenever I am traveling and not taking my RV I only use VRBO to book lodging. There are many condo buildings right next to the French Quarter full of VRBO condos. They are very nice.

Get out of town a bit and see Oak Alley Plantation. Other than that, we like to stay in the Garden District.

Back
Top Bottom