New Orleans - Where to stay and what to avoid?

Disappointed

Recycles dryer sheets
Can we get away with using public transportation (trolley) and Uber instead of renting a car? Will pretty much spend time around the tourist traps.

Areas we should avoid for safety reason?

My wife and I may be heading to New Orleans in the next couple of weeks depend on the weather (hurricane).

Thanks,

mp

Can we get away with using public transportation (trolley) and Uber instead of renting a car? Will pretty much spend time around the tourist traps.
Yes, I think probably this would work out just fine for you. My daughter did this recently during her visit to New Orleans. I drove her (and her DH) around a little bit, but they wanted to attend a conference and also wanted to do the tourist thing at various odd hours, so they walked or used uber for that.

Areas we should avoid for safety reason?
Lots of places. New Orleans has a very big problem with crime, and while one block might be safe, the next one might be dangerous. The concierge at your hotel may be helpful in figuring out where to go and not go. I'd say in general, you might not want to walk around after midnight or by yourself, even in the French Quarter. Some people do that with no problem, and then some people get attacked or mugged or whatever.

Last edited:
Go to the WW2 museum! The Tom Hanks narrated show is really great. I agree about asking the hotel, that is what we did last year.

The police are really out in full force since the shooting that took place awhile back. They are on horses and were chasing out undesirables pretty quickly.

New Orleans Murder Map 2016 | New Orleans Metro Crime and Courts News -

We have hundreds of murders per year, here. And then, for every murder there are many shootings that do not result in death. There is hardly a day that goes by without several shootings. Here's last night's (in a bad area so there's one to avoid): http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/09/man_shot_in_bw_cooper_neighbor.html#incart_river_home
The comments are interesting.

Not trying to inspire paranoia, but just to say that it's wise to bring your "street smarts" with you.

Last edited:
We like the hotel montleone with its carousel bar and the restaurant Mr. B's across the street. Enjoyed a visit to The New Orleans cooking school for a cooking show and lunch as well as the WW2 museum.

There’s never enough time to do all the nothing you want.
Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes

Wow W2R that statistic is worrisome. May have to rethink my destination. I was planning to stay at the Marriott on Canal Street, planning to visit the WWII museum, swamp and Oak Valley tour, French Quarter.

Wow W2R that statistic is worrisome. May have to rethink my destination. I was planning to stay at the Marriott on Canal Street, planning to visit the WWII museum, swamp and Oak Valley tour, French Quarter.
Sounds like a reasonable plan. I think you would enjoy it. Just be reasonably careful and you will be OK. :)

We stayed at an old hotel in the French qtr that we didn't like, but relatives stayed at Hotel Montelione and liked it a lot. We spent a couple of days and nights walking around the French qtr, and ventured out one day on our own plantation tour. I enjoyed the whole 3 day trip except for the hotel. We went about 7 years ago and found the area to be quite safe even at night back then.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

The Marriott on Canal Street use to have a wonderful Sunday champagne breakfast.

No N.O. resident expert here like W2R, but I have been to N.O. a couple of times, the most recent being 3 years ago. The place is crowded with tourists, so should be safe during the day and early evening. You will be OK.

I really like the uptown area of N.O. called Carrollton. We walked all around the Audubon Park, and looked at the grand homes surrounding the park. The area also has many good restaurants, many right in a residential neighborhood. Yelp or Urbanspoon will let you find them.

We had a car, but there's a light rail running from downtown N.O. to take you through Carrollton.

Last edited:
I've been to New Orleans dozens of times, most recently about 6 months ago. Recommend not renting a car. Parking charges are outrageous at the French Quarter and Canal St hotels and you can take Uber, taxis or trolley just about anywhere. We rented a car for just one day (there is a Budget in the French Qtr) so we could visit the plantations. I've been out in NO at all hours and never had a problem but as others say, keep your wits about you as in any big city. NO is a beautiful city and the food and live music cannot be beaten! Make reservations at Commander's Palace and Upperline. Yum! Have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

PS - I agree that the Hotel Monteleone is very nice. Last time I was at the Sheraton on Canal St. Much nicer than I expected. There are many nice smaller hotels right in the French Quarter. I would avoid a hotel on Bourbon St due to noise.

Stay in the Quarter and be vigilant and you'll be fine. We wary of a better rate somewhere that's not in the Quarter.

If you have time - take a day to drive along the coast to Biloxi. Even though many homes were destroyed during Katrina, many of the Antebellum homes have been restored or made it through the storm. Bay St. Louis and Pass Christian area are very interesting. It will be like you traveled to an entirely different place. You can take Highway 90 (also called Chef Menteur Highway out of Nola) through fishing villages and all along the Coast. It is a very interesting and beautiful drive. Then you can catch the Interstate back to Nola. It is not a long drive mileage wise but worth your time.

Not an answer to the question, but just wanted to comment that I really enjoyed the Mardi Gras museum.

We really enjoyed staying at the Hotel St. Marie on Toulouse Street in the French Quarter.
French Quarter Hotel | Downtown New Orleans | Hotel St Marie

We stayed at Hotel St. Marie on Toulouse one time and were pleased with the hotel and location. Another time we stayed in Algiers Point (vrbo). One takes a ferry to and fro. It was a bit of a hassle, but a neat experience. We always felt safe in a group of four.

We have visited New Orleans just a few times. We are considering Garden District for next stay.

Hope you update us on your trip.

+1 on Hotel St. Marie

Back
Top Bottom