New York City- Street Hot Dogs

I don’t think I’ve bought a hot dog from a cart in at least 40 years. But I did have a reindeer sausage from a cart in Anchorage.

I did have a hotdog in Reykjavik, here:

https://visitreykjavik.is/service/baejarins-beztu-hotdogs

Made world famous when President Clinton visited it in 1994. Outstanding hotdogs and toppings.

Most food is expensive in Iceland. We ate too many hotdogs during our 10 days there, probably every other day, because they were cheap.

I don’t think I’ve bought a hot dog from a cart in at least 40 years. But I did have a reindeer sausage from a cart in Anchorage.

I did have a hotdog in Reykjavik, here:

https://visitreykjavik.is/service/baejarins-beztu-hotdogs

Made world famous when President Clinton visited it in 1994. Outstanding hotdogs and toppings.

Most food is expensive in Iceland. We ate too many hotdogs during our 10 days there, probably every other day, because they were cheap.

How expensive is food in Iceland ?

I've never been to NYC. I had a work location on Hollywood Blvd in Los Angeles though, about 15 years ago. The street cart hot dog vendors were right outside my work and man, did they smell good. The dogs were wrapped in bacon, and fried along with lots of onions on the side. You could smell them half a block away. The word among my co-workers was that, although they were good, they constituted an express ticket to the restroom. Regardless, I couldn't help myself one day, and succumbed. Sure enough, 20 minutes later I was in the "library".

They tasted pretty good, but were still a bit of a letdown, as the smell was so amazing. Nevertheless, my restroom experience was such that I never had another one :LOL:

Wurst und brötchen mit senf from a stand on a Munich street corner. Now THAT is a street hot dog!

My go-to when spending a summer in that area was a big ol' slice of Leberkäse in the same type of hard roll.

Only cost me 1 Deutsch Mark ($1 = 3 DM back then)

Haven't had "bologna" that tasty since...maybe I should look for the smuggled-in-from-Mexico kind?

I never had a street dog in NYC, but I have eaten at an Automat several times in the late '60s in Manhattan.

_B

No hot dogs here. But we eat sausage such as smoked Kielbasa which is really good added to our morning scrambled eggs.

Wurst und brötchen mit senf from a stand on a Munich street corner. Now THAT is a street hot dog!

Funny, last time I was at Oktoberfest I asked the wurst vendor if they had any senf and she looked at me like I was crazy. Good to see someone in Munich enjoys it with their wurst!

I don't recall ever had a NY hot dog. Probably not, though I remember eating one in DC, and in Toronto, and these are of course not the same thing.

Is a NY hot dog better than Costco ones?

By the way, I have shared this photo, taken in France or northern Spain. It looks like NY hot dog has quite a reputation.

10965-albums235-picture2352.jpg

Getting a hot dog from a stand in NYC is on my list but I'm not expecting much. :) Ever since visiting Portland a number of times starting during the aughts, I love checking out street cart food. That said, it's been years since I got a hot dog from a street cart vendor, even in Vancouver.

I just looked up "Chicago Style" and that is definitely not for me. I hate mustard and relish. Give me ketchup and pickles, that's it. Or a chilli dog if i'm feeling lucky, haha.

Ketchup? Blasphemy. I give the missus heck all the time at Costco. :LOL:

German hot dogs are the wurst ever.

:LOL:

Getting a hot dog from a stand in NYC is on my list but I'm not expecting much. :) Ever since visiting Portland a number of times starting during the aughts, I love checking out street cart food. That said, it's been years since I got a hot dog from a street cart vendor, even in Vancouver.
The NYC hot dogs are best with onions (Sabrett's, cooked onions in a sauce), IMO, but don't forget to get a kebab or shwarma, those carts are now my favorite, and/or a hot pretzel with mustard! Carts aside, don't forget to get a slice (of pizza, for you non-Noo Yawkuhs), a bagel (Ess-A-Bagel and Zaro's are my favorites), and maybe a pastrami sandwich (too many good ones to list). My big indulgence, though, is to go uptown to Barney Greengrass (The Sturgeon King) for a platter of smoked fish. :-9 Don't worry, with pizza and pastrami it's hard to go wrong; if either of those isn't up to NYC standards, they won't stay open long!

The NYC hot dogs are best with onions (Sabrett's, cooked onions in a sauce), IMO, but don't forget to get a kebab or shwarma, those carts are now my favorite, and/or a hot pretzel with mustard! Carts aside, don't forget to get a slice (of pizza, for you non-Noo Yawkuhs), a bagel (Ess-A-Bagel and Zaro's are my favorites), and maybe a pastrami sandwich (too many good ones to list). My big indulgence, though, is to go uptown to Barney Greengrass (The Sturgeon King) for a platter of smoked fish. :-9 Don't worry, with pizza and pastrami it's hard to go wrong; if either of those isn't up to NYC standards, they won't stay open long!

Thanks for the tips! You're killing me though. :LOL:
The missus has been to NYC a few times but I haven't had the chance to join her yet. I've got to get a trip planned.

Question: Is it possible some 'enterprising' cart-dudes are buying cheap dogs?

I think it is funny that you think the logo on the hot dog stand means anything. It is very possible that the hot dog stand guy buys his own dogs and then sells those and keeps the revenue instead of selling the hot dogs that the boss-hot-dog man gives him every day. On the other hand, many hot dog stand bosses now make their "employees" buy inventory from them and that stops them from buying their own inventory.

But this isn't why your dog tasted bad. It probably had to do with fact that it is a disgusting combination of ground up meat byproducts boiled in dirty water in a cart that hasn't been cleaned -- like ever. The sour crout always taste pretty good though so you can layer that on top and just chomp it all down.

SOURCE: I lived next to a hot dog cart depot for many years. The rats in the place seem to think the dogs were just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very odd. We would not take a hot dog from a sidewalk vendor in NA.

We would buy a wurst (and have) on a bun from one in Germany, Austria, etc.

And we often eat in night markets when we are snowbirding in Thailand or Vietnam.

No hot dogs here. But we eat sausage such as smoked Kielbasa which is really good added to our morning scrambled eggs.

We don't eat breakfast, but do the following dish occasionally with Kielbasa for dinner.

Compared to the plate in the linked photo below, I usually add some chopped tomatoes for color.

PS. This is one dish where I use the fat rendering from bacon to sauté the veggies if not enough fat comes from pre-frying the sliced Kielbasa. The sausage and the potato chunks need to be browned first, before the cabbage is added. Diced tomatoes are added last.

kielbasa-cabbage-skillet-5-1-of-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom