New Yorkers Barred from Trusted Traveler

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I got a passport I gave in vital records to the State Department. If people want in on these traveler programs the Feds should demand the proper documents and handle things without reliance on a State's DMV records. Then they would do a background and criminal record check. Unless I'm missing something I don't even see how a DMV record even matters.

I'm a New Yorker with a valid passport and am being blocked for no good reason. Seems like something NY will sue on soon.

DMV records are used for everything these days. The trusted traveler programs are voluntary, so if you want in you have to make the data available. Write your governor and see if you can convince him to change the law. Otherwise, get used to sitting in the long lines.

DMV records are used for everything these days. The trusted traveler programs are voluntary, so if you want in you have to make the data available. Write your governor and see if you can convince him to change the law. Otherwise, get used to sitting in the long lines.
Personally I am not interested in these programs. I think requiring Feds to have a court order to fish in a state database is a good thing. I don't see how DMV records are even relevant to the task at hand.

It is just more culture wars. I’m sick of it.

misanman said:
My understanding is that CA allows the federal government to access their DMV records so there is no corresponding problem for CA. The NY law prohibits federal access and that is the issue.

I find this interesting considering the 9-11 attack on NYC. IIRC, one of the problems law enforcement had before the attack was that the various agencies were not communicating well with each other. This made is easier for the 9-11 perpetrators to fly 'under the radar' as they plotted their attack. Are they repeating a past mistake? I don't know enough to say yes or no. But, I think it's a question the citizens of NY state should be asking.

Well that didn't take long...

Cuomo announces intentions to sue Trump administration over New York traveler program ban

https://www.amny.com/politics/cuomo...nstration-over-new-york-traveler-program-ban/

"The lawsuit will be brought forth by by New York Attorney General Letitia James and will argue that the Federal Department of Homeland Security has violated New York’s sovereign immunity, not provided New York State residents with equal protection and is acting in an “arbitrary and capricious” manner that denies the rights and privileges of all New Yorkers."

Well that didn't take long...

Cuomo announces intentions to sue Trump administration over New York traveler program ban

https://www.amny.com/politics/cuomo...nstration-over-new-york-traveler-program-ban/

"The lawsuit will be brought forth by by New York Attorney General Letitia James and will argue that the Federal Department of Homeland Security has violated New York’s sovereign immunity, not provided New York State residents with equal protection and is acting in an “arbitrary and capricious” manner that denies the rights and privileges of all New Yorkers."

Will get thrown out and should. One of the main reasons for a Federal Gov't is to tie the "United" States for common defense and safety. All of this thwarting of Fed laws has to stop.

What I am surprised about is that there haven't been lawsuits from impacted families against the states doing this.

This could get interesting:

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com...-of-an-elderly-woman-by-an-illegal-immigrant/

Last edited:
I wonder if those who wish to remain under the radar, actually apply for "trusted traveler" status? Would they actually show up for their face-to-face interview?

That being said, I do agree with the Feds on this one.

Why would a Federal program have to rely on records from a source they don't control and have no power over? How do they know the data has any integrity? Fifty states and each DMV has its own rules and data. Not everyone has a Driver's License anyway. The reason for the Fed action doesn't pass the smell test in my book.
Perhaps they want access so that they can cross reference to be sure nothing is fishy vs. totally relying on that database?

Politicians. The one class of people that everyone can agree to hate.

This will never hold up in court. Every person who applies for Global Entry has to be personally interviewed by TSA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom