New Yorkers Barred from Trusted Traveler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just_Steve

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just a travel warning for my fellow New Yorkers. NY residents no longer eligible for Global Entry and other trust traveler programs. The laws of unintended consequences strikes again.

"The acting secretary of Homeland Security announced on Wednesday that New York state residents can no longer participate in certain Trusted Traveler Programs"

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/06/poli...new-york-trusted-traveler-programs/index.html

Just to clarify, with this measure N.Y. residents can not enroll or reenroll. Current participants can continue using Global Entry until their current enrollment expires.

I have a real ID and am still barred from participating in global entry.

They are not related. I have global entry. In applying for a GA DL this week, the minimum ID standards were passport or birth certificate (original), two post marked mail pieces (business - not personal) addressed to me, and a tax document (SS card, 1099, etc.) These are Real ID requirements.

They are not related. I have global entry. In applying for a GA DL this week, the minimum ID standards were passport or birth certificate (original), two post marked mail pieces (business - not personal) addressed to me, and a tax document (SS card, 1099, etc.) These are Real ID requirements.

I guess you need to read the linked article to understand the issue.

Will they still have global entry for us non NY’ers. Thank god mostly fly out into EWR

Yikes. I hope CA isn’t next but I could imagine it could easily happen here.

My understanding is that CA allows the federal government to access their DMV records so there is no corresponding problem for CA. The NY law prohibits federal access and that is the issue.

My understanding is that CA allows the federal government to access their DMV records so there is no corresponding problem for CA. The NY law prohibits federal access and that is the issue.

NY always has to push the limits then cries foul.:mad:

Why would a Federal program have to rely on records from a source they don't control and have no power over? How do they know the data has any integrity? Fifty states and each DMV has its own rules and data. Not everyone has a Driver's License anyway. The reason for the Fed action doesn't pass the smell test in my book.

Why would a Federal program have to rely on records from a source they don't control and have no power over? How do they know the data has any integrity? Fifty states and each DMV has its own rules and data. Not everyone has a Driver's License anyway. The reason for the Fed action doesn't pass the smell test in my book.

What other databases are readily available without huge cost? Do you really want to suggest and support a federal database that tracks everyone?

But you don't like the use of driver's license databases. So what is your alternative proposal?
When I got a passport I gave in vital records to the State Department. If people want in on these traveler programs the Feds should demand the proper documents and handle things without reliance on a State's DMV records. Then they would do a background and criminal record check. Unless I'm missing something I don't even see how a DMV record even matters.

I'm a New Yorker with a valid passport and am being blocked for no good reason. Seems like something NY will sue on soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom