New Zealand?

Meadbh

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am being pursued by a headhunter in New Zealand. I wasn't looking, and am not sure how far I'll take this, but want to keep an open mind till I know more.

Are there any New Zealanders on the Board?

Sorry, no help.

But please take the job, New Zealand is very high on my places to visit... and would love to have a local to talk to in planning the trip and/or visiting...

Somewhat seriously if you have any interest in living there I'd definitely go for an interview. You must be an impressive researcher, I never had a headhunter want me to go anyplace besides Seattle or LA...

I have a friend who was a consultant (for McKinsey) over there. His wife had one of their children while living in Auckland. They loved it. Wife described it as an incredible place to live, like US in the 1950's, very little crime, friendly people, beautiful country.
They'd go back in a heartbeat. And these are not the kind of jet-setting traveling folk, but regular down-home Southerners (though she is attorney and he is UNC MBA).

I went to visit them in 2004 and would have gladly moved in! I would say go for it based on their wonderful experience.

I lived and worked in the South Island of New Zealand for four months (their winter) way back in 1970. It's a beautiful country, but after the four months I was glad to leave. If you're an outdoors person, who loves hiking, camping, fishing, mountaineering, etc., then NZ is probably one of the best countries in the world for it's clean air, water, and scenic beauty. If you're not an outdoors person, like myself, then you could possibly find yourself bored to death there.

I left in September for Sydney, Australia, and as soon as I arrived at the airport, it was the first time I felt warm in all those months. I didn't dislike New Zealanders, but I found the Aussies a lot more extroverted with a rougher exterior. Believe it or not, the Aussies seemed to suit my own personality better (introvert) because they drew me out of my shell. I was only in Australia for a few days, but would have liked to have stayed longer. It was time to head back home.

It won't hurt for you to try New Zealand. For better or worse, it will be an experience you won't forget.

I'm an Aussie but know a few New Zealanders. Have to say I have never found a kiwi that I didn't like.

My husband has spent a bit of time there for work and loves the place. We are considering spending some time there when we retire however I don't think we could stay there full time because it is too cold for us.

from what i've read of new zealand, given the opportunity i'd move there in a heartbeat. every picture i've seen is stunning. i could live in a marina in auckland for only $600 month. wasn't it heinlein who declared christchurch as the most beautiful city in the entire universe? and you know, nz doesn't even allow nuclear navy vessels into its harbors.

problem for me is i don't have enough money to move there. they have a point system which adds points for money & subtracts for age. also their tourist visas are restrictive, something like for every 9 months there you have to leave for another 9. and for every 12 months you have to leave for 12. though might be nice to bop back and forth between new zealand, thailand & australia in all the best seasons.

if i had a chance to work in new zealand, i would seriously consider it.

wasn't it heinlein who declared christchurch as the most beautiful city in the entire universe?

Paul Theroux wasn't exactly thrilled with it. From page 22 of his book "The Happy Isles Of Oceania".

"The next day I went to Christchurch, on the South Island. It looked prim and moribund, like the sort of South London suburb I had mocked in England on Sunday outings with the kids, driving through on the way to Brighton thinking:This is the English death, the indescribable boredom that makes you desperate to leave. Life is elsewhere, I thought in Christchurch, but in this purgatory I began reliving my past."

I really like Paul Theroux's books but the guy is a crumdgeon he finds bad things to say about Hawaii and he lives here!

and he only has this planet to compare. seems i misrecalled heinlein though. found the quote online (is there no end to the internet?)

"Christchurch is the loveliest city on this globe... The gentle Avon winding through our downtown streets. The mellow beauty of Cathedral Square. The Ferrier fountain in front of Town Hall... "~~Heinlein, Robert A. Friday. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston (1982); pg. 44.

while i was at it i also found "The mellow beauty of Cathedral Square. The Ferrier fountain in front of Town Hall..." plagiarized elsewhere and used to describe houston.

problem for me is i don't have enough money to move there. they have a point system which adds points for money & subtracts for age.
If you really want to do this there might be a way.
Australian citizens and residents are allowed to live and work in NZ.
I know people who immigrated to Australia only to live in NZ.
You might want to check the current regs, but AU immigration less strict than NZ.
DW & myself are considering this route for the future.

i've always wanted to work and live in new zealand but i'm really having a hard time looking for work and meeting the requirements, plus, i'm tied up with a contract for USA which doesn't seem to move because of the so called retrogression. i'm registered nurse here in the philippines and the state of california, USA. i want to find a work in new zealand for just a year it's so difficult to do so.

I have a few former friends who were Kiwis.... all were friendly... I would not have a problem working in Auckland... but from my nephew, Christchurch is not a great place to live... but then again, he was poor....

He married a NZ gal and they moved to Australia in a SMALL town, but love it.. they are Hari Chrisna (sp?)... so you can draw you own picture...

I would say go check it out.... work there for a few years and see if you like it... you can always come back if you do not and have an adventure to tell...

Let me tell you about my time in London....... :D

Coworker of mine and his wife who are planners with no kids and had travelled all over the world (from USA-VA) via vacations 3 mos per year moved to NZ last month. He plans to work there for 2 yrs and will then have citizenship.

They'd been all over and chose NZ.

Yes I am from NZ, many people seem to be happy to move here - large numbers of Europeans are currently coming here and all I have spoken to seem to think they made the correct move.

Some stats from the top of my head at this late hour-

-Average household income $65K.
-Ave house price $280K - double this if you want a nicer 3 bedroom,on a 800m2 section in a good location of a major city. $800K+ for something really nice in a city. I live in a mid sized town 1 hour away from the city and a wonderful modern large house would cost $600K.
-Tax 19.5%to $40, then 33% to $60 and 39% above - election about to happen and tax cuts are expected.
-Free health care (for serious issues)
-Safe (once out of low income areas) - police have no need to carry firearms.
-Auckland-largest city-multi culture, range of activities, many water based - warm.
-Wellington - capital - bohemian - artsy.
-4 million people in country.

If you want I could supply you with contact details of professional's whom moved here and would be happy to give you their impressions.

Regards
Paul

Thank you everyone, particularly PaulNZ (see your PM).

Meadbh

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom