No Where for Very Long...

Lancelot

Full time employment: Posting here.
I'm back in the Big Mango, A.K.A. Bangkok :)

The airport wasn't crowded and I breezed through Immigration in 10 minutes. Maybe the 0630 arrival time helped :)

I took the Airport Train link into Bangkok, cheap and a time saver IF you are traveling luggage light. Airport to Phayathai interchage station (Interchange with regular Skytrain) was only 45 baht. The current exchange rate is 31.4 baht per USD.

I've been putting up with a ringing left ear so I went to Vibhavadi hospital to get it checked out. Vibhavadi Hospital PCL., Bangkok Thailand

Two trips to an english speaking Thai doc, hearing test, and meds (Tanakan, a standardized Ginko extract and vitamin B12) set me back $95. With our the meds the cost would have been about half as expensive.

Next stop, the dentist for a cleaning.

Its the low season now and you can almost set your watch by the 5 PM rains. Fewer tourists because I can always get a seat at the Took Lae Dee (Good and cheap) lunch counter at Foodland, Soi 5, Sukumvit. Time will tell how high the upcomming high season will be...

Lance out!

Thanks for the link to Vibhavadi Hospital.

What made you go there, rather than the better-known Bumrungrad?

Thanks for the link to Vibhavadi Hospital.

What made you go there, rather than the better-known Bumrungrad?

Welcome krab!

Vibhavadi is much cheaper but still provides excellent care. Bumrungrad can command a premium because of name recognition; I reckon a substantial segment of their revenue is from the Middle East and Bumrungrad is located at Sukumvit Soi 3, the heart of Little Saudi Arabia.

In my opinion, the hospitals in Chiang Mai are an even better bargain :)

Two trips to an english speaking Thai doc, hearing test, and meds (Tanakan, a standardized Ginko extract and vitamin B12) set me back $95. With our the meds the cost would have been about half as expensive.

Next time skip the hospital pharmacy and pick them up at a local drug store. Much cheaper usually.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, when you make an appt at a Thai hospital, do you go in person, or do you just call?

How far in advance do you generally need to make your appt?

As far as payment, do you pay the entire amount at the end of the visit?

What forms of payment are accepted?

Just trying to get the nuts and bolts down, since at some point I'll probably be spending more time time in Thailand.

So, when you make an appt at a Thai hospital, do you go in person, or do you just call?

How far in advance do you generally need to make your appt?

As far as payment, do you pay the entire amount at the end of the visit?

What forms of payment are accepted?

Just trying to get the nuts and bolts down, since at some point I'll probably be spending more time time in Thailand.

I usually never make an appointment and just walk in. I walked in for the first appointment and only waited 10 minutes to see the doc, but it was a week day. I did make an appointment for the second trip so I could coordinate the hearing test with a follow-up consultation with the doc.

Yes full payment on completion. I usually pay cash but I do have a local bank ATM card as back up. I've never paid with a foreign credit card but I'm certain that it would be accepted as well. Some merchants will tack on the Visa/Mastercard acceptance fee, even though under Thai law it is illegal.

I've never had a major medical expense in Thailand, but as I understand most hospitals will ask for a deposit, then settling the bill upon leaving the hospital. Its simply a business, so don't hesitate to ask for discounts, payment arrangements, etc. :)

Back
Top Bottom