Northern Lights at Fairbanks, Alaska in March

CuriousJoe

Dryer sheet aficionado
Folks.
We are planning a trip to Fairbanks, Alaska during first 2 weeks of March. Is this a good time to view Northern Lights?

How many days should we plan? Are there other activities/sight seeings, besides Northern Lights? Good places to stay?

Thank you in advance

We are headed to Iceland for the same timing. We booked 2.5 weeks as to not come home disappointed. The data suggests likelihood is good if clouds cooperate.

Folks.
We are planning a trip to Fairbanks, Alaska during first 2 weeks of March. Is this a good time to view Northern Lights?

How many days should we plan? Are there other activities/sight seeings, besides Northern Lights? Good places to stay?

Thank you in advance

There's a spa resort east of Fairbanks called Chena Hot Springs. It's a great place to view northern lights.

There's a spa resort east of Fairbanks called Chena Hot Springs. It's a great place to view northern lights.

We spent 3 nights at Chena Hot Springs and 2 in Fairbanks on the new moon in February 2022. Didn’t see the lights at all in Fairbanks. The first two nights at Chena were so good that we went to bed early on the third night. Plenty to do at Chena and the food was good. They even include a free tour of the generator that they use to produce all of the energy for the property. The new moon in March is on the 10th and I’d suggest you choose as close to that date as possible for the least amount of light pollution. Good luck!

Fairbanks isn't as far north as you might like, but still a good base. March should be fine. A few years ago we had exceptional viewing in March in northern Norway, and the sun's activity is greater now. Since you'll be there around the time of the new moon you should have a good chance.

We were in Fairbanks eight years ago in March. Other things to do. Local dog sled racing, ice sculpture competition, snow mobile tours, ice skating (outdoors) , the local museum is good indoor activity.

New moon is best, as full moon light will reduce viewing.

This is where we stayed. The owner has a radio system he would call your room when the northern lights were visible. Each room had a large window facing north, could see lights from inside.

https://auroracabin.com/

I have been looking for the Northern Lights for many years and never seen them. In our travels we have been in Kodiak, AK; Fairbanks, AK; Prudhoe Bay, AK, the Michigan UP and others and not seen them yet. They are on my bucket list but somehow it eludes me.

I have been looking for the Northern Lights for many years and never seen them. In our travels we have been in Kodiak, AK; Fairbanks, AK; Prudhoe Bay, AK, the Michigan UP and others and not seen them yet. They are on my bucket list but somehow it eludes me.

Take the Hurtigruten Norway coastal cruise. If you don't get to see them, they will give you a free trip to try again.
https://www.hurtigruten.com/en-us/inspiration/northern-lights

We were in Fairbanks eight years ago in March. Other things to do. Local dog sled racing, ice sculpture competition, snow mobile tours, ice skating (outdoors) , the local museum is good indoor activity.

New moon is best, as full moon light will reduce viewing.

This is where we stayed. The owner has a radio system he would call your room when the northern lights were visible. Each room had a large window facing north, could see lights from inside.

https://auroracabin.com/

Thanks.
Looks like March is sold out :( Have to look for another hotel

Another recommendation for Chena Hot Springs. Great place to relax & enjoy the lights, plus the hot springs themselves. North Pole normally has a bunch of ice sculptures (plus all the Santa stuff, being named "North Pole" and all). Many restaurant/breweries in the area that brew their own beers (of every variety you can imagine) and sodas (root beer, cream soda, ginger beer, etc.). There's a couple museums that might be of interest, and a variety of tours that will take you out away from town to see ... whatever you'd like.

We had an abortive trip to Fairbanks over New Year's a couple years back to see the lights ... we had a massive rain/ice/snow storm (yes all three, in sequence) the day/night we arrived, so the entire city shut down under 4 inches of ice, and we were literally trapped in our hotel for almost the entire duration of our trip. Tragic... we'll be trying again another time, probably later in the winter.

Thanks.
Looks like March is sold out :( Have to look for another hotel

When we were there, the owner had a van. He would go to Fairbanks around 9 - 10pm, pick up hotel guests. then return them to the hotel around 4 -5 am.

We are headed to Iceland for the same timing. We booked 2.5 weeks as to not come home disappointed. The data suggests likelihood is good if clouds cooperate.

I am looking into doing something similar (though only about 14 days). Have you booked independently or will you be using a "light hunting tour" for some/all?

I am looking into doing something similar (though only about 14 days). Have you booked independently or will you be using a "light hunting tour" for some/all?

We have done all own booking. This will be our third trip there but the first one this time of year. We will be moving around a little bit staying in one hotel that is known as the Northern Lights hotel (that is not its name) but here is a link that might be helpful https://www.nordicvisitor.com/blog/iceland-northern-lights-hotels/.

We will also be staying on the Snaefellsnes Peninsula. I am not sure if that is the best place for the lights but it is isolated and a place we have not visited.

Our final backup is to book one of the northern light tours from Rekeyvik where we will be staying to enjoy the city. The tour will pick you up at your hotel. The ones we looked at will add a tour day if the Lights are not seen during their initial evening tour.

If you have not been to Iceland, we really enjoy going to the local 'swimming pools' which if you are not familiar include a regular swimming pool, hot tubs, steam bath and showers for b4 and after your time in the pool area. They are all over and if you are 65+, they are free to use. Its the Blue Lagoon for locals :).

Hopefully, the N Lights will feel the pressure of showing up with all the people there.

Back
Top Bottom