Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Orlando Dec 19 for 2 weeks: Need inputs
Old 11-08-2010, 07:44 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Orlando Dec 19 for 2 weeks: Need inputs

Hi everyone !

I just joined this forum and would like inputs from you folks ...

We/I went to Florida 3 times (wife twice and kids once in 2009) but it was basically confined to Disney, Universal (kids & wife never did), International drive area (kids never did) so we are planning to visit Universal, Islands of Adventure, and perhaps a couple of other theme parks this 2 weeks.

We would also like to do some shopping. I heard Florida Mall but would like to know more about shopping (outlet malls, great sales, boxing day/week sales ...)

Since we will be in the Orlando area for 2 weeks, we would like to know where else to go ? I had been to the International drive area in Orlando (wife and I), the Tampa area (all 4 of us but for just a few hours), SW Fl (Fort Myers, Naples, all 4 of us for 2 days) and Kennedy Space Centre, Fort Lauderdale (wife and I).

Our itinerary:
(1) Must do: Universal and Islands of Adventure (2 days each theme park or 1 day each theme park enough ?) Please comment !
(2) Must do (shopping): 1 day ? 2 days ? Which outlet malls or other malls ? Please comment !
(3) International drive area: Is it a must do for kids ?
(4) Remaining days: WHERE TO GO ? Other theme parks ? Please comment !

Any input is appreciated !

Thank you !

LS
LuvSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

RoadTrip America - Daytona Beach to Ocala: From the Beaches to Florida’s Horse Farms

RoadTrip America - Titusville to St. Augustine, Florida: From the Space Age to USA's Oldest City

RoadTrip America - Orlando to Lake Wales, Florida
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

There is a large outlet mall just off universal blvd.. . It is an easy trip from Orlando to Cape Canaveral . Universal & Islands of adventure have gotten huge .It will take a few days to see them. There is also "The Blue Man group " show which is in City Walk outside Universal . Check around for discount tickets .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:50 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi,

Thank you for the inputs.

I heard about Florida Mall, does anyone know they offer good deals there or is it a waste of time ?

Thanks !

LS
Old 11-12-2010, 07:21 AM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

I have never been to the Florida Mall but it is pretty similar in the stores to most of our malls and at the time of year you are going you should get great deals but you will get even greater deals at the Outlet . What kind of things are you looking for ?
Old 11-12-2010, 07:33 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Moemg,

Thanks for your quick reply.

We like the outlet malls and could you tell me which outlet malls (with links, names and addresses) to get the best deals ?

We will be buying "things" we can bring back to Canada. It's so expensive here in Canada ...

My wife: Clothes (petite), handbags (Coach), cosmetic, shoes, children's outfits (girls) ...

My daughters: Toys, American Girl (dolls), Silly Bands, Build A Bear ... My daughters are 10 & 13

Myself: Shoes, clothes, electronics (no TV as I can't bring it home), home electronics ...

Food: Chocolate (See brand ?)

Will add more when we think of something else ...

Thanks

LS
Old 11-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I remember going to Orlando Premium Outlets Mall (Vineland Ave, off I-4). Huge, nice and a bit upscale IIRC.

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=17
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:52 AM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

I checked out the list of stores at the Outlet off international drive . Lots of teenage brands ( Gap ,forever 21 ,etc. ) for your wife I would highly recommend " White House Black Market " . The clothes are like Ann Taylor but with a kick . The outlet stores discount the clothes unbelievable and they are not seconds or made for outlet brand . For you I would recommend The Columbia outlet . Another great outlet store is Bass shoes . Have fun !
Old 11-12-2010, 08:11 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I just asked my wife and she mentioned Liz Claiborne ... Do you know which outlet malls have Liz Claiborne ?

Thanks !

LS
Old 11-12-2010, 08:28 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouth View Post
I just asked my wife and she mentioned Liz Claiborne ... Do you know which outlet malls have Liz Claiborne ?

Thanks !

LS
Prime Outlets Orlando (International Dr.) has a Liz Claiborne outlet.

Premium Outlets: Orlando
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Are outlet malls for suckers?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouth View Post

Thanks !

LS

Liz Claiborne brand has really gone down hill in the last few years . So frankly the stuff they have now is pretty sad as compared to years ago . Most of the Liz outlets are in the process of closing.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I could only compare prices between Toronto Canada and where I bought in the outlet malls as we had only limited time in Florida as tourists.

I bought, say, a pair of New Balance running shoes (609 series) and cost me less than US$50/pair in Georgia just North of Atlanta when we on our way back to Canada. If I bought the same pair in Toronto, it might have cost me over Cad$100.

Same with air tickets. If I flew from Buffalo NY to Orlando or SW Florida, a return ticket would have been US$160 taxes and fees included; If I flew from Toronto to Orlando or SW Florida, it would have been Cad$350 or $380.

It's expensive here in Toronto. I recall Toronto international airport has the highest landing fee in the world.

Liz Claiborne is still around in Toronto. I saw them in big malls like Vaughan Mills mall etc ...

LS
Old 11-12-2010, 10:57 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

II don't know if you'd be interested, but the last time I was down there with my DW and then two teenage children, we did an hour trip through some mangrove swamps on a 4/5 person airboat (those flat Skiffs with the big fan on back). It was real fun with a great guide and we got up close and personal with a few aligators. Anyway the kids thought it was "Awesome"
SomedaySoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Also you mentioned chocolate. I was at the Florida Mall in June. They have a pretty big M&M store. Mmmmmmmmm
SomedaySoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:12 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Speaking of airboat, I love it but DW doesn't know how to swim and she's afraid of getting near the water.

I've got to persuade her on this airboat thing.

When we went to Fort Myers beach last year, she only poked her feet in the water once

My kids love chocolate, we will visit Florida Mall as well as Orlando outlet mall and other malls as suggested by Moemg.

LS
Prime Outlets International
Old 11-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

This is by far the best mall for discounted international brands., coach, liz claiborne, etc.
Seems to me we went to all of the others in orlando.
We were there a couple of weeks ago, and the excited wife pulled out mad money, I hadn't realized existed.
She had a lot of fun, and I enjoyed her excitement.
4951 International Drive
Orlando, Florida
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
This is by far the best mall for discounted international brands., coach, liz claiborne, etc.
Seems to me we went to all of the others in orlando.
We were there a couple of weeks ago, and the excited wife pulled out mad money, I hadn't realized existed.
She had a lot of fun, and I enjoyed her excitement.
4951 International Drive
Orlando, Florida
Did you mean Orlando Outlet Mall or Prime Outlets International ?

Thanks !

LS
Old 11-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Frankly I have been to Orlando 3 times but don't seem to know much about Orlando !

First time was in the early 90's, our honey moon Orlando, Fort Lauderdale ... Disney, Sea World, Universal, International drive, Church street or downtown (the shopping district is not there anymore) ...

Second time by myself to a wedding in Tampa. That time I went to Universal & Islands of Adventure ...

Third time last Xmas, a family of 4 (wife & 2 kids). Kids to Florida first time. Of course Disney (all 4 theme parks), then Fort Myers beach and drive around, Naples, Tampa ...

That's why I said I don't seem to know the real Orlando. But I am determined to explore the real Orlando in my 4th visit ...

Please help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

LS
Old 11-12-2010, 02:23 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

We know it as poi, international dr. makes a bend to the rt north of turnoffs to universal park, poi is on the outside of the bend(left side) white bldings. It is an outside mall, has a neiman marcus and saks discount. Best we found, orl is packed with malls.
On way home we went to phipps mall in atlanta, too rich for us, had lambos and aston martins for sale there....good window shoppin.
Helios
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote