Pacific North West

davidbeitz

Dryer sheet wannabe
We're planning on taking a drive from San Francisco up to Portland on Route 1 this fall. Does anyone have any specific places or activities I should consider? We love the outdoors (hiking, walking on the beach, and kayaking) as well as food and drink.

Any thoughts?

I once drove to Spokane via the Colombia River Valley. Ever since I did that I have recommended it to everyone who gets near it.

If you love the outdoors, this is a very scenic drive. I was doing it for business, so did not have hiking gear. I bet you could find some short hikes in the area.

Best wishes for this trip.

And by the way, both Portland and Seattle were nice cities when we first went there. But now the homeless are all over the place and I cannot recommend visiting the city proper until things change. Last time I was in Portland was about 2 years ago and it was terrible.

I recommend driving highway 101 southbound because you are on the view side of the highway.

There are so many beautiful places to stop it is hard to recommend just one. One of my favorites is the dunes at North Bay, you can rent a sand buggy. Check online for availability on the dates you will be in the area.

Sea Lion Caves north of Florence is another don't miss stop. The caves are privately owned so there is an entry fee, the number of sea lions fluctuates but their smell can be so strong just a few hanging out is just fine.

Yes, we have a homeless camping problem in Portland but the Rose Garden, Pittock Mansion and Japanese Garden haven't been impacted.

I once drove to Spokane via the Colombia River Valley. Ever since I did that I have recommended it to everyone who gets near it.

If you love the outdoors, this is a very scenic drive. I was doing it for business, so did not have hiking gear. I bet you could find some short hikes in the area.

Best wishes for this trip.

And by the way, both Portland and Seattle were nice cities when we first went there. But now the homeless are all over the place and I cannot recommend visiting the city proper until things change. Last time I was in Portland was about 2 years ago and it was terrible.

Portland is much worst than 2 years ago. The outlying areas around Portland are much better.

Yes, we have a homeless camping problem in Portland but the Rose Garden, Pittock Mansion and Japanese Garden haven't been impacted.
+1 Don't let the news coverage of protests or homelessness in Portland distort the big picture. As a visitor, you'll not be affected by either. Portland is a great town with a lot to offer.

+1 Don't let the news coverage of protests or homelessness in Portland distort the big picture. As a visitor, you'll not be affected by either. Portland is a great town with a lot to offer.

Are you kidding? They are everywhere!

Cascade Head, not far north of Lincoln City on Oregon's central coast, is beautiful. It's about a 2 mile hike from parking lot. From atop the Head you can look south over the Salmon River estuary where it flows into the Pacific, and to Lincoln City.

Ay Newport, or at Taft (south end of Lincoln City) are Mo's (famous seafood) restaurants. The one at Newport is on the bay, the one at Taft look's out the bay and ocean and lots of times seals sealions are playing in the waters near the dock there. Great clam chowder.

Not far up the coast from SF is Point Reyes National Seashore. Hiking the point with Tule Elk is a fantastic experience. If you aren't traveling with kayaks, try these guys for rentals or guiding tomalesbayexpeditions.com. There are several other outfitters in the area.

Grey Whale watching in season, Point Reyes National Seashore, the peak of the southern migration usually occurs in mid-January and that of the northern migration in mid-March. Late April and early May afford visitors the best opportunity to see mothers and calves close to shore.

Lots of wineries along the way. In Bodega Bay, Sonoma Coast Vineyards, is a good one .

The redwoods get bigger as you go north, but a favorite is still, Muir Woods. I think you need reservations to park, but you can hike in from Muir Beach. Redwood Creek Trail head to visitors center 2.5 miles one way.

Ms G and I hike/walked from SF to Point Reyes a couple of years back. While I went to school near SF 40 years ago and had visited everywhere we went the trip was very exciting and fun on foot.

When I visit family in Oregon, we usually spend a few days at the Central Coast (Yachats, Newport, Depoe Bay) which seems less crowded than the North Coast closer to Portland. Depoe Bay is good for whale watching. Newport has an aquarium, lighthouses, and the Nye Beach Historic District for shopping and dining and beach access. Ona and Luna Sea Food House are good places to eat in Yachats.

I like the Oregon Coast Magazine “Mile by Mile Guide” for Hwy 101 which you can find at the information centers (probably an App by now). Some of my favorite stops are Seal Rock to explore the tide pools, Otter Rock and the Devil’s Punchbowl, Devil’s Churn south of Yachats and any lighthouse. Lots of nice state parks.

On the North Coast, Cannon Beach is a cute artsy town known for Haystack Rock and Ecola State Park. Also stayed at Manzanita once, a sweet little beach town just south of Cannon Beach. I want to drive the 35 mile Three Capes Scenic Loop west of Tillamook that is supposed to have great viewpoints, popular state parks, and a lighthouse but we always run out of time.

Last edited:
We lived on the west coast for 20 years. Spent many weekends, many summer vacations in Washington State, Oregon, and Northern California. Seaside and interior.

We have visited many states but Washington State is our all time favorite. For the people and for scenery!

If you're willing to cross the border into Washington, Cape Disappointment State Park has a nice museum about Lewis and Clark arriving at the Pacific Ocean. Also, the back side of Mt. St. Helens along Windy Ridge has great views. You can see Mt. Rainier, Mt. Adams, and Mt. Hood all from one point. This area gets much fewer visitors than the main visitors center on the other side of the mountain. The hiking trails are mostly exposed in the area, so vast views. Sorry, I haven't explored Oregon much yet...

Coast-wise the Washington coast doesn't offer much.. and I have lived in both states.

We're planning on taking a drive from San Francisco up to Portland on Route 1 this fall. Does anyone have any specific places or activities I should consider? We love the outdoors (hiking, walking on the beach, and kayaking) as well as food and drink.

Any thoughts?

A lot depends on how much time you have, and if you plan to stay to spend a few nights along the way. Driving straight through, it would not take that long as the drive is only a bit more than 700 miles. We have spent quite a few nights along the way when RV'ing, such as at Bodega Bay, Point Arena, Klamath, Coos Bay, Florence, Tillamook, etc...

At Klamath, we enjoyed the detour from 101 to visit Prairie Creek Redwood State Park.

There were boating opportunities on Klamath River, but we were not into boating.

At Coos Bay, we enjoyed the nearby coastal state parks such as Sunset Bay State Park, Shore Acres State Park, Cape Arego State Park, and the adjacent beaches.

Florence has a nice boat dock with dining establishments.

At Tillamook, the Tillamook Creamery is a cheese factory offering a free visit.

From Tillamook, instead of going straight east inland to Portland, drive further north to Astoria. The Astoria column is well worth a visit, and offers a wonderful view of the Columbia River mouth as it flows out to the ocean.

From Astoria, one can drive along the Columbia river towards Portland. I have driven the north bank, but not the south bank. There were stops along the way to rest and watch the ship traffic plying this important waterway. I took a photo of this ship pushing a huge bow wave going up the river.

I have quite a few photos taken off this coastal area and will post them when I find them.

10965-albums235-picture1898.jpg

Last edited:
We have taken several trips up the Oregon coast in summer. The last was a month long trip in our RV staying at several state parks along the coast. Finished with a long stay in Fort Stevens state park where you can walk all the way up the Clatsop Spit at the mouth of the Columbia River and watch some really big ships come in. This was all terrific.

There are quite a few lighthouses to visit. Great views!

And this was after a month long stay in Northern CA near Trinidad - a good location for visiting various redwood parks.

We’ve also traveled the Columbia River gorge many times including by RV. From the 97 crossing all the way out to Astoria.

We did make it across the river from Astoria to the Lewis and Clark museum on the WA side. Great river mouth views from there too.

Last edited:
Central Oregon Coast, there is a lighthouse at Heceta Head, I believe it is part of a State Park.

Columbia River Gorge east from Portland/Troudale has several sections of the original old highway restored, some driveable, some for hiking only. Many waterfalls along the way and several short hikes. Multnomah Falls would be the most famous and by far the busiest as it is right off I-84. There is a gift shop restaurant there.

Olympic Peninsula, San Juan Islands. Newport, Oregon. The list is endless.

Well, the thread title says PNW, but the OP's plan was only to travel along the coast from SF up to Portland. He does not even enter WA state.

He does not have the time to go to all the other places that people mentioned. And that's why I mentioned only places to visit along that route in my earlier post.

It will take many, many more trips to visit all the places in WA and OR states, including interior places. I have been doing that since my 20s, and lost count of all my trips. And I still want to go back.

Last edited:
Columbia River Gorge east from Portland/Troudale has several sections of the original old highway restored, some driveable, some for hiking only. Many waterfalls along the way and several short hikes. Multnomah Falls would be the most famous and by far the busiest as it is right off I-84. There is a gift shop restaurant there.

Some trails on the Oregon side of the Columbia gorge are still closed from the Eagle Creek fire back in 2017. I think Multnomah Falls lodge just reopened several months ago, but I don't know if the trail to the top is open beyond the overlook bridge. If you go, do it on a weekday, weekends are crazy busy and the parking lot on I-84 is usually full (as is any parking along the old scenic highway).

We spent several days along the Oregon coast in 2014, but everything we did has been mentioned. If I were you, I would add a diversion to Crater Lake.

Attachments

• IMG_790FB.jpg
    IMG_790FB.jpg
    799.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
We vacationed in the area most years for 20 years. And we still did not see everything. There are parts of Oregon that are desert like. Our time spent on the coast-Newport, Lincoln City were wonderful. Our understanding is that Lincoln City has gone downhill...fast. Best Vietnamese food ever from a small family run place in Klamath Falls that we found purely by accident. You never know what you will find!

Or....check out the Washington State Ferry service. You might find some routes and stops to your liking.

We love the Gorge and passing through central Washington. Or spending a day in Leavenworth or a morning in Winthrop.

Our advice....do some reaseach, pick a few areas that interest you.

Last edited:
Well, the thread title says PNW, but the OP's plan was only to travel along the coast from SF up to Portland. He does not even enter WA state.

Good point.

There is nothing in Washington but dangerous volcanoes that will kill you, killer hornets that rip the heads of honey bees, lawless thugs who take over entire neighborhoods, high prices, and apple maggots. The Canadians have closed the border to keep Washingtonians out. Go no farther north than Oregon. They have nice beach front hotels, great wines, no sales tax, and fantastic covered bridges. They even pump gas for you.

Back
Top Bottom