Panama Canal

tuffy88

Dryer sheet wannabe
My wife & I are going on a cruise through the Panama Canal leaving on October 9th on the Norwegian Sun. Anyone else been on a cruise through the Canal who could give us tips? Or anyone else going on this cruise?

Charles

Love Norwegian

Hi Tuffy - I have not been on this particular itinerary, but am a big fan of Norwegian and Freestyle cruising. If you haven't already found the website cruisecritic.com, it's a great source of information for cruising. There is an NCL board for general info, and another that they do roll calls on.

Have a great trip -

Charlotte

Charlotte

Thanks for your reply. We have cruised on Norwegian 8 times and Royal Carribean 2 times. This will be our 2nd on the Sun. So we like cruising, but never been through the Panama Canal before. Am looking forward to this cruise. At 18 days it is longer than any cruise we have been on before. Also familiar with cruise critic. A fine site. Look at it often. Which Norwegian ships have you cruised on?

Charles

2-96 Sovereign of the Seas
2-97 Norwegian Crown
2-99 Monarch of the Seas
2-01 Norwegian Wind
2-03 Norwegian Sun
2-04 Norwegian Sky
3-05 Norwegian Spirit
2-06 Norwegian Star
2-07 Norwegian Pearl
10-09 Norwegian Sun

I aspire to cruise once a year like you do, but vacation allotments from work and $$ funds don't quite agree to the once-a-year-plan! We like the Majesty's Caribbean route out of Charleston (done that more than once!). It's especially nice because Charleston is within driving range for us. Also, hoping next year to go to Bermuda on the Majesty, out of either Charleston or Baltimore. We like the smaller ships, not the mega's.

Charlotte

Charles,
Welcome - I recognize you name from Trader-talk. I think you will have a lot to contribute here.

Charlott,
The Majesty is one NCL ship we have not been on yet. Living in the Chicago area we are not within driving distance of any port, so have to fly.

Dex,
Thanks for the welcome. Remember your name from Traders Talk too. Still look in over there from time to time, but do not post there anymore.

Charles

DH and I went thru the Panana Canal last December as part of a 12 day cruise from Miami on Royal Carribean's Brilliance of the Seas. Our itinerary called for a "partial transit" or cruising thru one set of the three sets of locks. The ship prepared to enter the lock at about 5:45 in the morning, but we didn't actually get into the chamber until about 6:30. (Quite a procedure, well worth watching - the ship is 107 feet wide, the lock is 110 feet wide!) Lots of folks go to the bow of the ship to watch, others watch from their balconies -- but we got a good hint from a friend who suggested we watch from an area on the deck with the solarium - from a glassed in area that extended to the full width of the ship we had an unforgetable view of the ship actually entering the lock...the same view that the captain has!

The actual transit thru the lock took about 3 hours, then the ship cruised the lake a bit before coming back thru the same lock (of course on the other side).

We elected to take the excursion that transversed the entire Panana Canal and it was truly an amazing way to really experience the Canal. After going thru the lock, the ship dropped anchor and those of us going on the full Canal transit boarded a tender that took us to the dock where we boarded buses that dropped us off near the second lock and we boarded a small ferry.

The ferry then went thru the second and third sets of locks, exiting at the Pacific side of the Canal where we were met by buses that drove us back to the Atlantic side and our ship. Our tour guide gave us a really good overview of Panana on the buses as well.

The full transit takes about nine hours, but seeing it from a 970 foot long ship and then from a 100 or so foot long boat really gives you the full perspective. Nothing like watching a 1,000 foot container ship on the other side lock as you are waiting to exit the lock. We actually were able to touch the walls of the Canal in the lock as the water receded! During the trip we heard a lot about the new Canal and saw where it's going to be.

Not too many people sign up for the ferry trip thru the Canal -- I think about 75 did from our ship -- but we really had the experience of a lifetime. It's a long day, but you learn so much more about the construction of this engineering miracle than by just staying on your ship. I highly recommend it!

I went through the Canal twice as a guest of Uncle Sam's cruise line. As Achiever says, it is really impressive to see the lock machinery at work and to think of the effort that went into building it. I was also impressed by the constant parade of ships coming the other way.

One thing that you may not be able to notice on a large ship, but is true nonetheless, is that the ship will sink down in the water slightly once you emerge from the lock into Gatun Lake, because the fresh water in the lake is less dense than the seawater on the other side of the lock. (It is very noticeable on a surfaced submarine, where the freeboard is almost non-existent to start with).

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Achiever & Gumby,

Thanks for your reply's. They were helpful. Not sure if we have an option to take a bus or train on land or not. No mention of it in our Roll Call on cruise critic.com. We leave 1 week from today. Getting close.

Charles

Tuffy

The Sun goes all the way through the canal to Miami so you will get to do the entire Canal. We are thinking of doing this in 2009. We just got off the Star on Saturday, I also like the idea of Freestyle Crusing.

04-70 President Wilson
05-02 Norwegian Star - Hawaii
10-04 Norwegian Crown
05-05 Norwegian Star - Alaska
09-07 Norwegian Star - Pacific Coastal

bssc

Yes, the Sun goes all the way through the Canal. How did you like the Star? We were on her for the 8 day Pacific Mexico cruise in Febuary 2006.

Charles

We like the Star, she keeps showing up where we want to go but we will probably end up on another ship for the Canal. Most of the ship layouts are the same these days.

Panamal Canal

Well time to go. Waiting for the cab to take us to the Airport. We catch a 1:10PM plane to San Diago, and board the Sun tomorrow.

Charles

Bon Voyage! I'm jealous....sounds like a wonderful trip. Have a great time...and please repost when you get back.

Back
Top Bottom