Join Early Retirement Today

Paris/Rome: Finding studio rental for 1 month?
Old 06-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Paris/Rome: Finding studio rental for 1 month?

Does anyone know of a website in English that gives listings of studios or even rooms to rent for a month stay in Paris or in Rome (or any major Italian metro)? Thank you.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #2

I've had these bookmarked for a while, but can't vouch for them in anything other than they are in English.

paris apartments : paris vacation apartment rental, apartment short term furnished rental.
Rome City Villas and Villa Rentals in Rome City - Rentvillas.com
Paris apartments rentals - RENTAPART.COM
Apartments in Rome, Rental In Rome, vacation rentals in Rome
Old 06-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #3

Try either of these sites (both have worldwide listings). They are both sites where properties are listed by the owner, not a listing agent, so you deal directly with the owner if you have any questions or issues..

Vacation Rentals by Owner VRBOŽ is Vacation Rentals By Owner

AirBnB Vacation rentals, private rooms, sublets by the night - Accommodations on Airbnb

I've used VRBO 3 times and was a very pleased. We contacted the owners on a few minor hiccups (a boat was left dirty by previous renters, a blender was missing) and they were very responsive.

I plan to use AirBNB soon. People I know have used it and were quite happy.

Bon voyage!

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #4

I really should have added that I was looking for apartment services that someone "has really used" here. Sorry for the error. But the leads I'm going to check, so thanks!
Old 06-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

+1 on VRBO. Used it several times in France and Italy.

Peter
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #6

You also might drop a line to the Terhorsts - they did a long-term stay in an apartment in Paris a few years ago - may have a contact in Paris as well.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We've used www.paristay.com Nice people, speak English and understand Americans. They have all kinds of places, prices and neighborhoods.
marko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I've used VRBO in both Italy and France, very successfully. (Also Hawaii and San Francisco) I'm just really careful to only choose places with plentiful and realistic-sounding reviews. Another forum I participate in (SlowTrav) also has apartment reviews and informative posts about apartment searches.
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We have used vrbo and veneer to book places in Italy and France.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

We used InItaly for an apartment in Florence. It is a company ran by American's. They have rentals in all areas of Italy. They also offer tours, car rentals, etc.
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #11

Great leads...thanks!
It was between a long cruise of 30 days or rent an apartment for a month. I "think" staying in an exciting city for a month would be more interesting. I hope I'm right....
Old 07-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Great leads...thanks!
It was between a long cruise of 30 days or rent an apartment for a month. I "think" staying in an exciting city for a month would be more interesting. I hope I'm right....
We spent a week in Rome during our month in Italy. I think it was enough as a tourist. But staying for a month gets you to start feeling like a local. This year we are doing a week in Paris and a week in Nice during our month in France.

OTOH our friends are taking a 28 day cruise starting in Rome and ending in Singapore. We think that we will do more cruising when we can no longer handle walks and stairs in 20 years. But they do get to visit Egypt and Jordan without staying in a hotel!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:51 AM   #13

The 30 days cruises that take you all over seems just a little too quickie for me. What do you really see of each city when you visit other than the tourist gift store on land?
I have a friend who only does cruises. She's been on 30 or so. I asked her why she does cruises when she can't see much of the country. Her response is you get a "taste" of each country to see if you want to come back and really tour it. Not surprisingly, she hasn't ever been anywhere! Ever!!! 'Nuff said.
Like you...maybe a long cruise when I get too old.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

Next year we may take this tour . It has a good blend of sightseeing and free time . It is from Legendary Journeys . We will probably add additional days in Rome .
Best of Tuscany with Rome Hub & Spoke
Tour by Jet Tour
15 Days - 14 Nights Starting at $1,899.00 plus any applicable taxes and fees
Departure Date: October 19, 2011
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Great leads...thanks!
Difficult choice, for me personally it would depend on what I was looking for. If I was primarily sightseeing, it would be the cruise, but if I wanted to experience the culture and the local people, I would prefer staying in one spot for the full month - one caveat though, interacting with the locals would only be interesting if at least some of them spoke english or if I had mastered the local language at conversational level.
Cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Most of the tourist areas in downtown handle English just fine. Tack on a bit of their language and you should be fine. You gain points for trying!