Philadelphia

Moemg

Gone but not forgotten
We are meeting my daughter ,SIL & grandson in Philadelphia for Thanksgiving . What area would be best to stay in to see the sites ? I haven't been to Philadelphia in many years but I do watch "It's always sunny in Philadelphia " (hysterically funny show ).

We are meeting my daughter ,SIL & grandson in Philadelphia for Thanksgiving . What area would be best to stay in to see the sites ? I haven't been to Philadelphia in many years but I do watch "It's always sunny in Philadelphia " (hysterically funny show ).

Which sites? Philly is huge and has some many things to do there and in the suburbs that you would have to be a bit more specific. And heck, I live an hour away.

We have just stayed for 2 days at Alexander Inn on Sprouce Street/12th on recommendation of tripadvisor. Small, independently owned, reasonably priced, very friendly atmosphere and very recommendable. Ideally situated to walk around most of the day and lots of restuarants / bars to enjoy a nightcap.
But: If you are homophobic the hotel and area is not for you. We (hetero couple) found it great and noticed that there were also families in the hotel.

We have just stayed for 2 days at Alexander Inn on Sprouce Street/12th on recommendation of tripadvisor. Small, independently owned, reasonably priced, very friendly atmosphere and very recommendable. Ideally situated to walk around most of the day and lots of restuarants / bars to enjoy a nightcap.
But: If you are homophobic the hotel and area is not for you. We (hetero couple) found it great and noticed that there were also families in the hotel.

That hotel looks perfect . I love boutique hotels .

I am just seeing this thread and since I live in the city I will try to help. If you like boutique hotels you may want to check this one out. Kimpton Hotels: Boutique Hotels, Luxury Travel and Chef-Driven Gourmet Restaurants

Hubby and I have booked the Hotel Palomar for New Years, the place looked great and we loved the price. Kimpton Hotels: Boutique Hotels and Luxury Travel
This will put you in one of the loveliest neighborhoods in the city and close to a lot of attractions. From there you can branch out and see many sites.

Here is the official Philly tourism site: Philadelphia - Official Visitor Site - visitphilly.com

Like all large cities the tourist areas are the safest and my guess is that is where you are pretty much going to be staying and exploring. Don't wast your time with the Thanksgiving day parade there are much better things to do. Hope this helps.

AVOID GENO'S STEAKS at all cost. Most natives would not be caught dead eating one of those cheeze wiz laden monstrosities.

When ever I'm in Philly I stop at Bookbinders restaurant. Expensive but really good food as I remember. Haven't been there in years but maybe one day I'll get back there.

I am just seeing this thread and since I live in the city I will try to help. If you like boutique hotels you may want to check this one out. Kimpton Hotels: Boutique Hotels, Luxury Travel and Chef-Driven Gourmet Restaurants

Hubby and I have booked the Hotel Palomar for New Years, the place looked great and we loved the price. Kimpton Hotels: Boutique Hotels and Luxury Travel

We stayed in a Kimpton hotel in Washington ,DC . It was fantastic . I love the Kimpton Hotels they are so unique and the service can not be beat .

Thanks for the info. We will be staying at a Kimpton Hotel in B-more the night before we sale to the Caribbean in Nov. We liked what we saw on line so we decided to book the New Years stay at the same time. We are doing another moonlit cruise then and really don't want to be bothered driving home so we will stay in town.

Been to Philly many times on business but never stayed over so don't have many helpful recommendations. Quicky up and back trips for meetings during my workin' days. Beautiful city. Great cheese steaks. Hope you have a nice stay there Moe.

Philly makes me think of this song. Bruce captured the best and worst of this great city.

Been a long time since you've been there. Bookbinders went bankrupt

When ever I'm in Philly I stop at Bookbinders restaurant. Expensive but really good food as I remember. Haven't been there in years but maybe one day I'll get back there.

Too bad, great place to eat. I think they were there for over 100 years.

Back
Top Bottom