Piedmont region? (Italy)

Somewhere, I saw that the EU was thinking about requiring that the cars somehow resist the driver if he wants to exceed the posted speed limit.

One suggestion is that the accelerator pedal can be made harder to press, if you want to override the speed limit.

Heck, I like that. It will keep the local drivers from tailgating me. :)

Hah, now you get me to talk about spirits. In a thread a while ago about spirits, I went to count the number of bottles I had, not just in the liquor cabinet but overflowed to the wine rack and the kitchen cabinet. I don't remember the count, but perhaps it was 40 or 50?

Anyway, about grappa, yes, I have a bottle or two right now. But after we had a grilled fish dinner on the shore of Lake Lugano (on the Italian side) and I asked for a shot of grappa, the waiter brought me this. I had had only clear grappa, but this one spent some time in an oak cask. The flavor was just wonderful, nothing astringent like the clear grappa I had had. I asked the waiter if the distiller name on the glass was correct, and he said yes.

Just now remember to look up availability in the US. Francoli is a big name in grappa, and has several styles of grappa. I don't know what I had. Total Wine does not have any Francoli grappa. Bevmo has only the Francoli Grappa di Nebbiolo, and it's oaked. Out of stock at local store. Price: $40 for a 375-ml bottle.

I believe I paid only 4 euros for this shot.

Oh man, all this talk makes me want to travel again.

10965-albums235-picture2725.jpg

The only Grappa I know is clear. I normally chill it for one hour in the freezer before serving it. The shot glasses are also chilled. Personally I think Grappa goes down like acid but I know many who always finish their dinner with a shot of Grappa so I keep some at home. Limoncello I can tolerate.

The only Grappa I know is clear. I normally chill it for one hour in the freezer before serving it. The shot glasses are also chilled. Personally I think Grappa goes down like acid but I know many who always finish their dinner with a shot of Grappa so I keep some at home. Limoncello I can tolerate.

Well, some grappa do taste very harsh. And that's why I was delighted to learn of the oak-aged grappa. Why not age the mean spirit to tame it? It makes sense. It got way better. Cognac is totally undrinkable, I was told, before it gets aged in oak.

About limoncello, it does not keep well, so it should be consumed soon. My niece and my wife's nephew have both learned to make limoncello and gave me some. It's not hard to make. It did taste like the one I bought in Sorrento, but then I am no connoisseur of anything.

Last edited:
My general rule is the further south you go in Europe, the crazier the driving. Naples and Catania can be super intense. I also have memories from Greece where, on the two lane highway, it is customary to drive on the shoulders to allow the creation of a virtual third lane in the center. Lane lines are a mere suggestion. The north is pretty much a cakewalk, though Milano from the ring road and inward is not my favorite.

The strict enforcement and use of cameras really cuts down on some of the crazy behavior in places like Switzerland and France. Germany's autobahn is something to be experienced at 250km/hr. I did a full two weeks once travelling with a local colleague between major German cities, all in his M5 and his lead foot. And try it in the pitch black.

When I lived in Lausanne, I would love the St. Bernard pass. Not scary, but very twisty getting to Aosta via Martigny. My favorite site to check out these routes is dangerousroads.

OP here...we just got back from the trip last Thursday....really enjoyed it. The itinerary, which was revised several times:

Flew in/out of Milan as it was a cheap flight that started the entire trip. Drove to Turin and spent two nights there. We stayed in the Lingotto area, and in hindsight that was a mistake as it was pretty far from the historical center. We ended up doing a LOT of walking. Turin is lovely and busy - not sure I need to return. We then drove to Montegroso, just outside of Asti. Lovely AirBB way up in the foothills. Very secluded and a wonderful apartment. We were in Piedmont for about five days. Loved Alba more than Asti. Visited Barolo because it is my favorite red wine. Generally loved this region a lot. We then drove to Verona for about five days. Verona is wonderful - very similar to Florence in that it has a river running through it, lots of bridges, and surrounding hills to hike up and view the city. We stayed a few blocks from the dreaded Juliet's balcony, but tourism was not bad at all. Verona is a great city to explore. We also took an ebike tour out into the surrounding wine country which was great - about a 40km ride but easy with the pedal assist. Last stop was Venice - our third time. Each time I say that I don't really need to return, but each time we have a blast wandering and stumbling onto a nice cafe to have a drink or bite.

We drove the entire trip - I am not great at highway driving, so DW handled that. But I did all of the non-highway driving which in Piedmont is plenty. I think Italian drivers are generally good, just drive too fast.

^^^ I can see myself visiting this area again. Next time, I will stay a few days in Sirmione. It is worthy of more than a stop.

With the Euro/USD exchange rate where it is and the proximity to our home near Lausanne Switzerland, we will definitely head back there. The food is so good I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. If you don't want to drive, the TreniItala pass is good option. We don't like lugging around luggage on a train so the car is a better option for us. Trains are great for day trips. The Lombardy region is also a great location to explore.

To the OP, glad you a great time. Just be warned, on future trips the driving is much worse in the main population areas of the south (the countryside is fine).

For those considering another route in, you can arrive via Nice and take a train from the airport (and pick up a rental car -- just beware of one way rentals) or make a single connection in. Driving through Liguria will unveil even more -- it is about 3 hours by car.

The train system is great, except (like in the neighboring countries) there are strikes. They are also known for being quite late (compared to the Swiss)

If you plan on taking trains in Italy and France, have some contingencies for strikes. Switzerland is okay and the trains are generally on time to about 10 minutes late.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom