Join Early Retirement Today

Places to stay in Seattle for a family
Old 05-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

We will be taking a cruise to Alaska in June and plan to stay over in Seattle for a few days on either side of the cruise. Looking for recommendations for places to stay near the Seattle airport for one night and near Olympic NP for three nights.

There will be four of us traveling. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #2

The airport is a 45 minute train ride from downtown (Tickets about $2.50 each way ) and there isn't a lot to do near the airport. Unless you've got a freaky early flight I'd stay downtown, not near the airport, so you can see the sights. I suggest the Mayflower Park hotel for location & charm.

If you stay downtown and have rolling luggage, you can probably walk right to the cruise terminal. The Edgewater hotel is right near the main cruise terminal, and right near downtown.

SIS
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:20 PM   #3

SIS's suggestions are very good. Not much of anything other than long term parking lots near the airport.

I assume you'll have a car if you're going to Olympic National Park. It's a huge park - so it depends on what you want to see/do in the park. I have friends who stayed in Port Angeles when they went last year. I know they weren't thrilled with their motel.

For in park lodgings there's this:
http://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/lodging.htm
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortInSeattle View Post
If you stay downtown and have rolling luggage, you can probably walk right to the cruise terminal. The Edgewater hotel is right near the main cruise terminal, and right near downtown.

SIS
+1

We've stayed at the Edgewater. It's very convenient to downtown, Pike Place market, and the retrofuture area around the Space Needle if you don't mine a little walking and some modest hills. It's also right next door to the Victoria Clipper, which takes a couple hours to cross over to the inner harbor at Victoria. On our last stay, the Edgewater was happy to hold most of our luggage overnight while we did a trip to Victoria and spent a night at the old Empress there.

The Edgewater at Pier 67 is pretty close to the Bell Street Pier 66 terminal, but some of the cruise ships are using the twin slips at Pier 91, about a 10-5 minute cab ride away. Make sure you know which one your ship is at before walking...
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:21 PM   #5

Thank you for the info. We are flying in to Seattle at 10pm on a Saturday. Our cruise leaves from Vancouver Sunday. We plan to take the clipper over Sunday morning to Vancouver.

The Edge water would be perfect if we had the time to explore downtown. It still may be the best option.

Are there places to stay near the airport as it will be late when we arrive.

We will be renting a car for the three days to explore Olympic NP and I will look more at the Np site.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When we go to Seattle we stay at Clarion in Renton which is close but not too close
to the airport. They have a great breakfast there. Their prices are reasonable too.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:38 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

These are right at SEATAC and have shuttle service. You have to book ahead to get decent rates.

Upscale, Cedarbrook Lodge.
A place to crash and go, still nice, the Coast Gateway Hotel.
On Megacorps dime, usually stayed at the Doubletree, right between these hotels.

Restaurants
13 Coins for 24/7 dining and is a Seatac area institution.
Sharps Roaster and Mango Thai are right next to the Coast Gateway.
Copperleaf at Cedarbrook is very good.

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...Tac%2C+WA&ns=1
springnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #8
Administrator

My go to place at SeaTac is Hawthorne Suites. It's fairly close to the airport, nice property and some large suites, including some 2 story town-housey ones. The price is fair and the place is clean and quiet.

http://www.hawthorn.com/hotels/washi..._date=&rooms=1
Old 05-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
Thank you for the info. We are flying in to Seattle at 10pm on a Saturday. Our cruise leaves from Vancouver Sunday. We plan to take the clipper over Sunday morning to Vancouver.

I thought the clipper only goes to Victoria?
Old 05-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm heading there tomorrow! DH has stayed at the holiday inn at seatac when he went out there in the fall and found it very convenient and inexpensive.
We are staying with a friend in the city one night and then heading up the Stewart Cassiar hwy on Tuesday.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman View Post

The Edge water would be perfect if we had the time to explore downtown. It still may be the best option.

Are there places to stay near the airport as it will be late when we arrive.

We will be renting a car for the three days to explore Olympic NP and I will look more at the Np site.
You may want to check your logistics. The Clipper goes to Victoria on Vancouver Island.
If your cruise leaves from Vancouver cruise port you are a min of 4 hours South in Seattle, depending on border crossing. There is an early morning Amtrak but you will need to cab it
to cruise port. Hope your cruise leaves late in day, or you may want to find a way to connect to Vancouver on your arrival nite. Cruises like travelers couple hours before departure at min.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:28 AM   #12

You are correct. Currently considering the 7:40 AmTrak to Vancouver arriving at 11:40Am. Earliest ship boarding is 11AM. It looks like the AmTrak is about a 15min cab ride from the ships.

We will have more time on the return trip and plan to do the clipper then as we have used it before and it was fun.

Do you have experience with the AmTrak as I do not. It looks like that will work but I want to make sure.

Thank you.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:46 AM   #13

I live in Seattle and have taken the amtrak to Vancouver for a cruise. Works perfect, I took the first train in the morning. There is a sky train just outside the amtrak station in Vancouver that takes you right to the cruise port.

Edit: there might be multiple ports so might need to double check the sky train

Also in Seattle you can take the light rail from the airport to the amtrak station (international district).

Have fun!
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:56 AM   #14

Another option that works good is the BoltBus.com. There is a 6:30 am bus that arrives in Vancouver BC at 10:30 am. Cost is about $60 total for family of 4.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote