Join Early Retirement Today

Planning trip to Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone in 2018
Old 08-10-2017, 10:14 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Planning trip to Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone in 2018

DW, twin sister, BIL and I are planning a trip in September, 2018 to visit Mt. Rushmore, Badlands, Yellowstone, Jackson Hole and other to be determined sites on a two week trip out west. Most likely flying from Baltimore to Chicago or Minneapolis and doing a circular route. There will be no camping, although a RV rental is being considered.

Looking for suggestions. Thanks!!!
wyecrabber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2017, 10:39 AM   #2

Mt. Rushmore is only 76 miles from Wall Drug.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:52 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Including driving time, I would not add anything else, with the possible exception of Devil's Tower, which is near your route. Yellowstone is huge and can easily absorb up to a week if you are thorough. The Tetons are worth a couple days. The rest will take the remaining time.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:56 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyecrabber1 View Post
DW, twin sister, BIL and I are planning a trip in September, 2018 to visit Mt. Rushmore, Badlands, Yellowstone, Jackson Hole and other to be determined sites on a two week trip out west. Most likely flying from Baltimore to Chicago or Minneapolis and doing a circular route. There will be no camping, although a RV rental is being considered.

Don't miss Devil's tower. On the trip between Rushmore and Yellowstone.

And I liked Wall Drug!

You have a LOT of driving to do from CHI or MSP, you realize that, right? Figure maybe you are picking up family? There are other cities much closer to start the odessy.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

What a coincidence, DW and I are planning the same trip but THIS Sep/Oct. Other than 5 nights at a Yellowstone lodge during the first week in October, I have not closed in on the details yet, but likely, we will hit Jackson Hole first, then Yellowstone, then Mt Rushmore / Badlands on the way back East. I'll let you know how it goes
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:19 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

WE spent 5 days at Yellowstone and 2 at the Grand Tetons which was perfect.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:52 PM   #7

+1 on the Devils Tower. The tower itself is cool (and it's fun to watch the rock climbers on it)... but I really loved the prairie dogs on the drive into/out of Devil's tower. To get in the mood watch Close Encounters of the Third Kind prior to your trip.

Mt Rushmore was "meh" for me... Kind of cool... but overall it was underwhelming. Watch North by Northwest prior to your trip.

I love Yellowstone and Grand Teton. Yellowstone is worth a week... the park is HUGE and has very different parts. Not sure if you're a hiker - but both Yellowstone and Grand Teton have great day hikes.

Because yellowstone is so huge - I highly recommend staying at two different lodgings in the park. Example - a few nights at Canyon Village or Lake Village (eastern side of the park) and a few nights near Old Faithful or up by Norris (western side of the park). If you stay outside the park you risk traffic jams getting into the park - eating into your time actually enjoying the park.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:31 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Figure out accommodations soon or there will be none available in the parks.

In September 2017, we spent about 10 days in Grand Teton and Yellowstone and stayed with our friends who are seasonal park rangers. I think Grand Teton is best seen by hiking. Yellowstone is a great park for folks who cannot walk, but can drive. Of course, if one can hike down into the Yellowstone Canyon and back up, then I think the waterfalls will be more spectacularly. The geysers are numerous, but don't run on a schedule except for Old Faithful which is not that spectacular. Its claim to fame is mostly its schedule which the tourist busses know about. If you don't get out and see the geysers around the park and those away from roads, then that will be a shame. But maybe you won't like the geysers.

As the time for your trip approaches, please consult the other Yellowstone threads on the forum and read up at TripAdvisor.com.

Rushmore? I have relatives in Rapid City and Mitchell, South Dakota. It's nice, but small.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:42 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would not miss the Minuteman Missle site in Philip, SD. The rodeo in Cody is a hoot as well. Jackson can be wildly crowded and expensive - even in the fall. Book as soon as you can. I thought the Corn Palace and Wall Drug were a tacky waste of time. YMMV
HarveyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:41 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

I've traveled around the Black Hills in South Dakota and Yellowstone Park in Montana several times. Here are a few suggestions: When in the Black Hills, stay a couple of nights in Deadwood, a fun little gambling town with an old west vibe. From there you can take day trips to any of the many attractions around the Black Hills (including Mount Rushmore). Then, in the evenings, if slot machines and blackjack aren't your thing, there are some great places to eat and usually some cool entertainment options, especially in the summer. On your way to Yellowstone, consider stopping at the Big Horn Battlefield, where Custer met his demise. It's really, really interesting! If you stop there you will be on track to enter the park via the Beartooth Highway (go through Red Lodge, MT), which Charles Kuralt called "the most beautiful roadway in America". It is spectacular -- you will not be disappointed. If you're short on time, you can see most of Yellowstone in 3 days and even have time for some of the shorter hikes, but plan for longer if you like back country hiking or if you absolutely must see every mud pot and geyser in the park. Make hotel reservations as soon as you can, or you will be staying outside the park. My favorites in the park are Old Faithful Inn at (you guessed it!) Old Faithful Geyser and the Lake Yellowstone Hotel, although I think any of the lodges and cabins would be just fine. If you have to stay outside the park, I highly recommend Chico Hot Springs, which is about a 1/2 hour drive from the North Entrance. Chico also requires far-in-advance reservations. Failing that, there are lots of lodging options at West Yellowstone just outside the West Entrance. I can't help much with the Jackson area. Happy trails!
Winenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Because yellowstone is so huge - I highly recommend staying at two different lodgings in the park. Example - a few nights at Canyon Village or Lake Village (eastern side of the park) and a few nights near Old Faithful or up by Norris (western side of the park). If you stay outside the park you risk traffic jams getting into the park - eating into your time actually enjoying the park.
+1. The in park lodging is more pricey, and you have to book up to 12 months in advance, but it is so worth it to have more time enjoying the park itself and not the inside of a car.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:49 PM   #12

I just got back from the Black Hills for the annual pilgrimage to Sturgis. Absolutely love the area. What about flying into Denver or Omaha instead? Unless you have a reason to be that far east before you start your drive. If I was gonna see the middle of SD, I would do the Minuteman Silo tour (book ahead), and make my way to the Black Hills. You could stay in Rapid City (Dakota Steak house real good) or if you want more small town then probably Deadwood. You can easily spend 3 or 4 days there seeing things, then on your way to Yellowstone see Devils Tower. If you like motorcycles Sturgis had an amazing museum that is open year round for about $8 per person. I have been to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons and I personally like Grand Tetons better. You want to see the park from the east in the AM when the sun is behind. If you ware gonna RV you might get lucky and get a one way rental moving units back to the SW for refurbishment.
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:41 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

First time we went to the YNP was 25ish yrs ago and quite an awesome trip. I don't like what they've done to the park since and not likely to go again but try to be there around the third week in Sept. The elk should be bugling then and is very awesome. It never gets old.
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:00 AM   #14
gone traveling

I'm planning the same trip now. I'm driving and towing my bike while my wife is flying in and out. out first 2/3 days will be the black hills, then moving through Yellowstone to camp in the tetons.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0408171134a.jpg (678.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 0408171151.jpg (584.4 KB, 38 views)
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #15
Administrator

I look forward to hearing about your trip, as the young wife and I plan to duplicate it in September 2019. I'm currently thinking of flying to Denver and then essentially circumnavigating Wyoming in a clockwise direction.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:37 PM   #16

There are three pretty cool very cool views of the heads as you approach Mount Rushmore from the south on US-16A.
Just be observant.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:58 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

My reaction is you are going to be rushed if you try to do all of this in one 2 week trip.

I would suggest you allow 3 weeks, or cut the trip down.

For example, I think you could easily do 2 weeks in either location, with travel.

Yellowstone and the Tetons are discussed here frequently. Lots to do there particularly if you get off the beaten path somewhat (but you will want to stay ON the path in geyser-land! Of course).

The Rushmore leg is I think under-rated. Rushmore is fantastic but will not necessarily occupy a lot of time. Custer State Park is amazing and has some great accommodations, almost like a national park. Sites you did not mention in the area include Mammoth Site (fascinating), Crazy Horse (you likely spend more time there than Rushmore. They have some caverns in the area which we like, and we did not visit but you could do a side trip to Little Big Horn (have not done).

If you wanted to do the 2 week trip I think you really want to prioritize. I would not do the Badlands/Wall Drug. Not that they are not interesting, but there are plenty of badlands to see elsewhere. Wall Drug is interesting but very touristy. This would cut out some time.

With your time, an open jaw itinerary could limit travel time.

It is a great trip, or trips.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:10 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Salt Lake City seems like another option to fly into, if you can't get into one of the smaller and closer airports more cheaply. Seems like a big gap between the Rushmore area and Yellowstone area, without a lot to see in between. Open jaw makes a lot of sense to me.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:55 AM   #19
Confused about dryer sheets

Wind Cave NP, Custer SP and a drive on the Needles Hwy are not to be missed around Rushmore. Take a dip in Boiling River just south of Gardiner, MT on the border with WY!
Bonesaw383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:34 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Fly into Jackson Hole and rent a car. Then forget Mt Rushmore. The distances out there are.much farther than they look.

That's the only section of the U.S. we haven't visited because it is 1500 miles of nothing before anything of interest is seen.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote